UK Politics IX

Usotsuki

I voted this morning, and I voted yes for the reasons described above. I also voted Green in the local elections, because I don't like the Lib Dems at the moment.

In my ward there have been two wonderful improvements in terms of candidates: firstly there is no BNP candidate (yay!) and secondly for the first time ever there is a Green candidate*.

* disconcertingly I am acquainted with him since he is one of my students. Like policemen, the candidates get younger...

I also do think AV is a step (if only a nominal one) in the right direction, and I believe it is better than first-past-the-post because if nothing else it allows politicians to collect more information about people's support for the various parties, so I think it will give them (and the country in general) a more sensitive measure of how much each of the parties has popular support.

Yes that would be interesting but like you say only if voting behaviour changed and more than one preference is marked down .

Voted yes this morning. Really because I feel mildly curious about what the results of elections would be like under AV. The polls look to be against it but who knows with the turnout?

No BNP or Green candidate down here, but a bunch of Independents campaigning under a common manifesto appeared instead (united independents isn't that a contradiction?).

Voted yes to AV, for reasons outline here, and then voted Labour. No Green or Independent Candidates, so I was stuck with ethier Labour or LibDems. I seriously considered defiling my paper, and actually told my friend that's what I did. Really feel like I need a shower now.

I voted Yes,

and I have never seen my local polling station as empty. I was the only person there (apart from the offical people handing out the voting papers) I saw no-one on the way in or the way out. And I voted about the normal time when I often have to que for a couple of mins.

as a result of my very small sample size I'm prediciting a low turnout, which may mean that those who don't really understand what AV is (because they could not be bothered to read the explainitory leaflet) are not gonna be voting (unless they have a local election). I'm guessing a low turnout is going to be better for the Yes campaing than the No.

I'm guessing a low turnout is going to be better for the Yes campaing than the No.

I agree. I've not met too many vocal Nos. But Colleague A voted No this morning, and then when walking out of the polling station wished he'd voted Yes, whereas Colleague B postal-voted Yes and now wishes he'd voted No after looking into it some more... :facepalm:

I agree. I've not met too many vocal Nos.

I don't actually think I know anyone who's said they're going to vote yes. It does look like there's going to be a low turn out but most of the polls of likely voters seem to have 60-70% voting no.

One of the main arguments given by the "no" campaign is that people are too stupid to understand AV. The more I talk to co-workers, the more accurate this appears.

So Australia is a nation of elite psephological minds then? Awesome!

Maybe the English are voting No on the grounds that true proportional representation is vastly superior to a watered-down version of AV and are valiantly holding out for another referendum? :hat:.

If only the Yes campaign had thought of this. "Even Australians can understand it!" D'oh!

:lol:

If only the Yes campaign had thought of this. "Even Australians can understand it!" D'oh!

would you really wanted the no Campaign to counter with "Only criminals can understand AV, therefore Criminals will be choosing your next government"

would you really wanted the no Campaign to counter with "Only criminals can understand AV, therefore Criminals will be choosing your next government"

So how about:

AV - simple enough for Fiji and Australians wouldn't give a XXXX for any other voting system

(with apologies and royalties to whoever dreamt up the old Fosters ad.)

Was talking to a friend earlier whose a conservative voter, he hadn't voted yet but he was saying he probably should vote yes but he didn't want to as it meant it was less likely that the type of governments that he wants get in which I thought was honest.

Maybe the English are voting No on the grounds that true proportional representation is vastly superior to a watered-down version of AV and are valiantly holding out for another referendum? :hat:.

There were some campaigners on the No side who used this exact reason.

I know quite a few people who are voting no because they want actual PR. I'm not voting for two reasons:

1. I'm not registered to vote in this area

2. It's a crap choice, and I suspect either outcome will be used as ammunition against supporters of true PR.

Voting no on the grounds of your want PR over AV in my mind is a silly thing to do, if No wins the idea of political change will be buried for another generation, but then again most of the old guard against it don't care about that since they will be dead by a chance rolls around again.

Voted yes and went with Sinn Féin both locally and for the assembly. Tis odd, I went to school with the woman who is representing my local area. I should get involved...:P

Archived