Major. League. Baseball.

Myshkin

When the opposition uses amphetamines, there is no competitive advantage at all that could not be improved by just going back to the hotel room after the game and getting some fu**ing sleep. The guys who used uppers did so to compensate for their lifestyles, not to give any inherent baseball advantage.

But with steroids, ultimately the only way to compete is fight fire with fire, to the detriment of both short-term and long-term health. There are layers of cheating, some accepted, some not. Truth is, there was a wink and a nod within the game during the steroid era, but those outside the game, retired players and fans, were and are outraged by them. It is a separate category of cheating, orders of magnitude beyond running inside the baseline on your way to first or relaying signs from the bullpen.

Short answer: To compete with steroid cheaters, the only effective solution for players was to risk their own health by at least trying them.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I don't think there's proven evidence of the negative effects of long-time steroids users. But since it's illegal, it's cheating and so is unfair to the players that are following the rules, in baseball or whatever other sport.

My general thinking is that I wouldn't have a problem with steroids if they just made it legal and so gave everyone the choice of using them without fear of punitive repercussions. It's either that, or make the punishment so severe that the majority of pro athletes wouldn't take the risk. I'm talking lifetime bans and shit like that.

Anyways, if I had a vote, I'd vote against any proven steroids user up for the HOF. Gotta start drawing the line somewhere, and making concessions will just encourage more players to use (or keep using).

And I don't really understand why what Pete Rose did is such a big fucking deal, either. It was way before my time, but all he did was bet on games. I can understand if he was betting against his team while he was still on it or managing, but afaik, he never bet against the Reds. Get him in already.

And I don't really understand why what Pete Rose did is such a big fucking deal, either. It was way before my time, but all he did was bet on games. I can understand if he was betting against his team while he was still on it or managing, but afaik, he never bet against the Reds. Get him in already.

Part of the issue is that he lied about it. Repeatedly, year in and year out. Went in the press and claimed he was being unfairly targeted. Both publicly and privately in meetings with the commissioner. He was given a chance to come clean and had he been willing to do so, the ban might have been shorter. But he steadfastly refused to admit the truth.

Plus, gambling by the manager, even betting on his own team, has potential for TERRIBLE abuses. "Not going to use my bullpen tonight, I've got no action on the game. Best to save them for tomorrow when I WILL have a bet." Plus, it can give organized crime an 'in' with the manager, with all sorts of nasty consequences. "Throw Saturday night's game or we reveal your betting sheets". You don't mess with the integrity of results.

Joe Jackson is banned from the HoF for his actions regarding the 1919 World Series. He didn't even participate in the conspiracy. All he was accused of was being aware that his teammates were on the take and not saying anything. He had a great Series statistically.

The Black Sox scandal nearly ended baseball as a serious business. The public was ready to believe that the games outcomes were as predetermined as pro wrestling currently is. By making it abundantly clear that any HINT of gambling connections would spell a player's (or manager's) doom, the game regained credibility. What Pete did was to ignore the history of the Black Sox scandal. A history every player should know, since they are told often enough.

Mets lose four games to Colorado and five straight. Granted, Tulowitzki's on fire, but it still doesn't bode well for the Mets. I usually hate when fans give up hope in April, but I'm starting to understand that level of frustration.

I usually hate when fans give up hope in April, but I'm starting to understand that level of frustration.

I feel you. The Cubs are 6-6 against bottom-dwellers like the Pirates, Astros, Diamondbacks as well as the Brewers. Nothing like being completely mediocre against bad teams (and the Brewers, who could go either way) to start off the season.

My reservations about the Reds relief pitching looks very warranted with Nick Massat(every night) and Aroldis Chapman(every other outing) sucking and blowing leads. We better sweep the Bucs this weekend. Still feeling good about our Division chances because the NL Central is so bad.

Mets lose four games to Colorado and five straight. Granted, Tulowitzki's on fire, but it still doesn't bode well for the Mets. I usually hate when fans give up hope in April, but I'm starting to understand that level of frustration.

I simply cannot believe that their innate East Coast superiority won't shine through eventually. :P

Michael Kay nailed it yesterday when he said how silly it was for Terry Collins to go off on the Mets' play. Yelling at the players on a bad team won't make them better. Their bad play isn't about a ton of mental miscues. They're just... bad.

I simply cannot believe that their innate East Coast superiority won't shine through eventually.

Dude. You took all of 15 minutes to jump on my case with the East /West Coast thing. Like you were waiting in a dark alley for me to walk by with my Mets woes. Easy, friend... I was just pulling your collective legs with a bit of smack-talk and you took it seriously. Didn't mean to upset you. I thought the irony was self-evident considering how much my team has sucked lately, but I guess it wasn't.

Friends again?

Michael Kay nailed it yesterday when he said how silly it was for Terry Collins to go off on the Mets' play. Yelling at the players on a bad team won't make them better. Their bad play isn't about a ton of mental miscues. They're just... bad.

Yeah, well that's Terry's MO, so it's not unexpected.

Dude. You took all of 15 minutes to jump on my case with the East /West Coast thing. Like you were waiting in a dark alley for me to walk by with my Mets woes. Easy, friend... I was just pulling your collective legs with a bit of smack-talk and you took it seriously. Didn't mean to upset you. I thought the irony was self-evident considering how much my team has sucked lately, but I guess it wasn't.

Friends again?

Sorry man; forgot the smiley. Though you'd be amazed how often we hear that crap with no sense of irony.

Or maybe you wouldn't be. ;)

What Pete did was to ignore the history of the Black Sox scandal. A history every player should know, since they are told often enough.

Good post Bronn. Filled me in on some backstory I wasn't aware of.

Have to disagree with the above quote, though. I've known and been around baseball players. One of my best friends was in the Giants minor league system for years. For the most part, baseball players are idiots. They'll probably tell you so, too.

The steroid era was fun as hell.

As entertainment, definitely. I guess the question is whether sport or the HoF is supposed to "mean more."

I'm a homer when it comes to Pete Rose. I grew up during the Big Red Machine years and it just seems wrong that he's not in the Hall. How many times does the guy have to apologize? Everyone knows he bet on baseball and I wouldn't care if they make a seperate "Hall of Shame" wing in Cooperstown to highlight his foibles so long as his historic achievements are recognized too

Friends again?

Mets should try harder not to get walked all over by the Rockies next time, and all their east-coastiness will be forgiven.

Curse those purple fiends. They're not supposed to be good on the road.

Good post Bronn. Filled me in on some backstory I wasn't aware of.

Have to disagree with the above quote, though. I've known and been around baseball players. One of my best friends was in the Giants minor league system for years. For the most part, baseball players are idiots. They'll probably tell you so, too.

Definitely aware of the mental giants that are your average baseball player. Part of the reason I didn't say players know about the Black Sox. Only that they are told over and over and SHOULD know.

Archived