Major. League. Baseball.

Myshkin

Who said anything about a rivalry? San Diego has no true rival. Just a superior baseball team (superior to the Dodgers, an end-of-season Sunday loss behind the Giants). Used to hate the Dodgers when they were worth hating. But the past twenty years have been more about pity. They've gone from a traditional power to the also-rans in blue.

Lol, I forget, when was the last time the Padres did anything?

Lol, I forget, when was the last time the Padres did anything?

Went to a World Series in 1998. Unlike the Dodgers, who haven't been since Reagan was President. Were any of the current players even ALIVE then? I even remember Bowie hair still being considered cool then - unlike its current 'perhaps VERY retro cool' status.

Perhaps you should be sitting on your front porch in a rocking chair, waxing sentimental about the Brooklyn days. A perfect solution for yesterday's powerhouse.

Went to a World Series in 1998. Unlike the Dodgers, who haven't been since Reagan was President. Were any of the current players even ALIVE then? I even remember Bowie hair still being considered cool then - unlike its current 'perhaps VERY retro cool' status.

Perhaps you should be sitting on your front porch in a rocking chair, waxing sentimental about the Brooklyn days. A perfect solution for yesterday's powerhouse.

I went to the series in '98 as well...and just like the Padres I was a spectator. :P

Four games is hardly a shakeup. But I do see the rays on the bottom in the end. bosox, yanks, orioles, jays will round out the top four.

Damn you Merc! I wish I could comeback by saying that The Toon will get relegated again this season, but they have somehow conspired to achieve mid-table safety :bang:.

You know, that makes a great story to tell the grand kids one day; I was there when the Pads got swept out of the WS. Call me when you win something, then maybe I'll free up a little hate for the Padres.

You know, that makes a great story to tell the grand kids one day; I was there when the Pads got swept out of the WS. Call me when you win something, then maybe I'll free up a little hate for the Padres.

San Diego can still can go another 20+ years before earning their first title and still have done it faster than the Dodgers franchise. Sure it is ancient history, but at this point so is anything GOOD for LA.

Not that I want you to call me whether the Padres win or not.

San Diego can still can go another 20+ years before earning their first title and still have done it faster than the Dodgers franchise. Sure it is ancient history, but at this point so is anything GOOD for LA.

Not that I want you to call me whether the Padres win or not.

I suppose as a Padre fan you have to lie to yourself about the record, but I'll thank you to stop lying to the rest of us. Since 1990 the Dodgers have been to the post-season 6 times, the Padres 3 times. Since 1990* the Dodgers have had 17 winning seasons, the Padres have had 9 winning seasons. Now I'll admit that the Dodgers haven't been the best in that stretch, but they've been a damn sight better than the Padres.

*includes 1994

Quade mismanaged the shit out of the bullpen again. Marmol and Wood have both gone the last 3 days and Cashner is starting, so i expect them to limit him. There is no way they win tomorrow.

Q better lay off Kid K's arm or its going to explode in a month.

It's commentary like this that convinces me you'll never be happy. Jays.

If there's anything positive to take from the season so far it's that Starlin Castro looks like the real deal. The kid can play. Which means we'll probably trade him for prospects halfway through the season.

He just can't throw... :P No, seriously. I agree. The kid seems to have it and have it in spades. And the youngest player in the majors to boot. Experience will cut those errors down and it's all gravy from there. :)

I don't have the same amount of dislike for the Padres as I do the Dodgers, but I find Mat Latos irritating, as well as his team's ability to win 1-hit games against the Giants.

With Huff in right field again, I would say my chances of dying of small annoyances by the end of the day are high.

ETA: Belatedly, I love the new Gameday. Couldn't get it to work with my browser before today, but it's pretty cool.

I suppose as a Padre fan you have to lie to yourself about the record, but I'll thank you to stop lying to the rest of us. Since 1990 the Dodgers have been to the post-season 6 times, the Padres 3 times. Since 1990* the Dodgers have had 17 winning seasons, the Padres have had 9 winning seasons. Now I'll admit that the Dodgers haven't been the best in that stretch, but they've been a damn sight better than the Padres.

*includes 1994

I remember a time when the Dodgers fandom would have hung their head in shame over a period of 20+ years without a World Series appearance. This post is further proof in my mind that these days LA is just another franchise, and no longer one of the elites.

If the goal you LA fans have set for yourselves is 'be slightly better than the Padres', you've managed. With only about 6x the population and 10x or more the local broadcast revenues.

Kat - Latos is hurt right now but may be back by next week. You'll miss him on this trip though and his spot in the rotation would have come up.

I remember a time when the Dodgers fandom would have hung their head in shame over a period of 20+ years without a World Series appearance. This post is further proof in my mind that these days LA is just another franchise, and no longer one of the elites.

If the goal you LA fans have set for yourselves is 'be slightly better than the Padres', you've managed. With only about 6x the population and 10x or more the local broadcast revenues.

Slightly better? Go read those numbers again. It says something about Padres fans that they can't even use their own team as a comparison point. And I sadly can't remember a time when Padre fans would have hung their heads in shame over a period of 20+ years without a World Series appearance, they're still giddy over the one time they made it. And lost in 4. 12 years ago. Oh and let's please not whine about San Diego being a small market, it's the 8th largest city in the U.S. (and about 1/3, not 1/6, the size of LA). Just because the Padres are too terrible to make money in San Diego does not mean San Diego is a small market. If you want I could provide you with a list of teams which have done much better than the Padres playing in smaller market cities.

But I think the important thing to take away from this conversation is that we all agree that the Dodgers are a better baseball team than the Padres.

Kat - Latos is hurt right now but may be back by next week. You'll miss him on this trip though and his spot in the rotation would have come up.

holy shit. how old are you?

the dodgers won in 1981 and 1988. i am old enough i remember one as one of the most memorable event of my childhood and another is not at all a memory.

so, were you personally shocked when the dodgers admitted the first black player? and what about the move out west? how was that? and electricity, what was your life like before it became a mainstay in all homes?

but, in all seriousness i have never actually heard of a real live padres fan. i would keep that shit quiet or you could find yourself tranquilized and put in a zoo for people to look at.

Slightly better? Go read those numbers again. It says something about Padres fans that they can't even use their own team as a comparison point. And I sadly can't remember a time when Padre fans would have hung their heads in shame over a period of 20+ years without a World Series appearance, they're still giddy over the one time they made it. And lost in 4. 12 years ago. Oh and let's please not whine about San Diego being a small market, it's the 8th largest city in the U.S. (and about 1/3, not 1/6, the size of LA). Just because the Padres are too terrible to make money in San Diego does not mean San Diego is a small market. If you want I could provide you with a list of teams which have done much better than the Padres playing in smaller market cities.

But I think the important thing to take away from this conversation is that we all agree that the Dodgers are a better baseball team than the Padres.

Over the past twenty years, slightly better. Currently, not so much. The 2011 Padres are pretty solid. Don't have the starting pitching to compare with SF but nobody in the division does. Better bullpen

I don't understand your comment about World Series appearances. The Padres made their first appearance in their 15th year and their next 14 years later. Twelve seasons have passed and they seem to be coming in to form for number three.

The population of a city is not the only factor that determines the size of a television market. It is the size of the surrounding area. San Diego is one of the smallest markets in baseball. Because Anaheim and north aren't in the San Diego market, nor is Tijuana to the south. Arizona to the east is Arizona's market. To the west there is water. San Diego gets none of the bonus that other franchises get from the surrounding area. Including television revenues. San Diego county has 3M people. The Padres market is about 3.1M - the extra coming from Imperial County. But that is it.

The LA teams get Riverside and Ventura and San Bernardino television revenues. on top of Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Plus ancillary broadcast revenues from San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield and Santa Barbara among others. The 1/6th figure is if anything short.

holy shit. how old are you?

I'll be 47 at the end of the month.

Over the past twenty years, slightly better. Currently, not so much. The 2011 Padres are pretty solid. Don't have the starting pitching to compare with SF but nobody in the division does. Better bullpen

17 winning seasons to 9 winning seasons over the past 20 years, and twice as many post-season appearances. I don't know what your definition of "slightly" is, but it doesn't seem to jive with my own. The Dodgers have won the division twice in the last 3 years, while the Padre haven't won it once, so I'm also not sure what your definition of "currently" is, but if you're speaking about this upcoming year I'm gunna have to say you're assertion is ridiculous seeing as we're only 4 1/5 games into the season.

I don't understand your comment about World Series appearances. The Padres made their first appearance in their 15th year and their next 14 years later. Twelve seasons have passed and they seem to be coming in to form for number three.

Let me explain then: you see Dodger fans take pride in their 6 world championships, while Padre fans take pride in those 2 times they got kinda close.

The population of a city is not the only factor that determines the size of a television market. It is the size of the surrounding area. San Diego is one of the smallest markets in baseball. Because Anaheim and north aren't in the San Diego market, nor is Tijuana to the south. Arizona to the east is Arizona's market. To the west there is water. San Diego gets none of the bonus that other franchises get from the surrounding area. Including television revenues. San Diego county has 3M people. The Padres market is about 3.1M - the extra coming from Imperial County. But that is it.

Give me a break. Anaheim is a smaller market than San Diego, and has SD to the south, LA to the north, yet they've managed to be a much better team than the Padres. Blaming the Padres woes on their market is both ridiculous and sad.

Give me a break. Anaheim is a smaller market than San Diego, and has SD to the south, LA to the north, yet they've managed to be a much better team than the Padres. Blaming the Padres woes on their market is both ridiculous and sad.

You really don't get it, do you? You somehow actually think "compare population of Anaheim CA and San Diego CA" is relevant. Kinda sad, actually.

Anaheim Angels games are broadcast on TV stations that cover all of LA. Their ad revenue thus covers all of the greater LA area. 18M people in LA, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties.

Orange County is smaller than San Diego county. By a trivially small 60,000 people. But that is irrelevant. The local MEDIA market is determined by where your games get broadcast. Even though they are second fiddle in that market, their local revenues dwarf almost every other team in the league. Definitely the Padres. Probably even ahead of the Giants, who are in the Reno market and all of California north of SLO.

Archived