Major. League. Baseball.

Myshkin

After an Opening Day win, the Orioles are tied for first. Wire to wire? Hahaha... no.

Our best young pitcher (Brian Matusz) is now out for at least a month, and instead of filling his spot with a scrub, we are calling up our best prospect (Zach Britton), whom everybody is raving about but still probably has some lumps to take in the majors. Shit's going to get interesting faster than I anticipated... and probably not the good kind of interesting.

After an Opening Day win, the Orioles are tied for first. Wire to wire? Hahaha... no.

Our best young pitcher (Brian Matusz) is now out for at least a month, and instead of filling his spot with a scrub, we are calling up our best prospect (Zach Britton), whom everybody is raving about but still probably has some lumps to take in the majors. Shit's going to get interesting faster than I anticipated... and probably not the good kind of interesting.

Even though I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, I've always rooted for the Orioles if they weren't playing the Sox. It's really been a tough fall in recent years and I hope they and the Pirates both find glory this year.

Speaking of falling down, Cleveland - yikes! Although they made it a little more respectable at 15-10 against the Sox yesterday, in the second inning and it's already 5 to nothing. Poor Indians. But I am LOVING how hot the Sox bats are.

Edit: Of course Cleveland is scoring and now has men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. That's what I get for empathizing with the opponent, especially in the second inning.

I've also always had sort of a soft spot for the O's. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'd like to see them get good again. They're a classic team. When I started watching baseball they had Cal R in his prime, and they were still pretty good. They've been long-suffering as of now. The thing is...it's not like they're like KC or Pittsburg with no money. It's more like they just haven't been very wise with their use of their money.

Yeah, tell me about it. There've been some whoppers since Cal Jr. retired. There's been an improvement to some extent since Andy MacPhail took over as the GM, but even he has this baffling tendency to give two-year contracts to relievers who aren't that good. The money situation is definitely getting better though, since when the Nationals moved into DC, Peter Angelos' price for giving up territory was basically that he would get to own the majority share in their cable network (both O's and Nats games are played through the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network). Not that Nats broadcasts are a serious draw, but there's a stream of revenue there, in addition to what he gets for O's games.

There are a lot of Orioles fan friends of mine who think we'll finally crack .500 this year for the first time since 1997. I don't see it happening. 76 wins would make me happy - that's a leap of 10 wins from 2010 and would show that with a couple more moves we can probably be legitimately in the conversation for something. Maybe I'm just a pessimist though. The 2-16 start to last season really battered my capability to believe in a better baseball tomorrow.

I know that a baseball game is no real reason to lose faith in life, but if it was, a 10-10 in the 10th game between the Halo's and the Royals (AT HOME) would be it.

I don't think I've ever watched something so awful out of pure loyalty to the sport before.

Chris Getz? They must be making this up.

This is like... like...

There is no simile. I'm watching the Royals and the fucking Angels. In extra innings. In Kansas City.

After a 3-0 start (our first since 1997) I might as well be ready to start lining up for World Series tickets.

Bones, you got a walk-off HR in the 13th to at least make you feel like it was worth your trouble, eh? Anything that ends in a walk-off HR can't be that bad, unless the Orioles are on the wrong end of it.

Bleh...terrible start to the season for the new-look Rays. With key players Garza, Crawford and Pena all moving on since the last season and Baltimore and Toronto both looking quite good so far, this could be a very long season for TB :thumbsdown:.

Can't watch this game. 1 inning in and I already know it's gonna suck more. I mean, Zito's already mediocre enough, and then you add in a car accident right before opening day? Someone shoot me when this is over. Unless the Giants win, that is.

Panda looks good. Belt looks like he isn't a mistake. Tehaha doesn't look shitty. The defense still looks kinda hilarious. Matt Kemp looks like a baseball god, and we know that can't last.

Overall, not too bad so far.

I was really optimistic about Quade but predictably he is a jackass. Why is Bryd hitting 3rd? Why do you let Reed Johnson bat against a righty with fukudome on the bench in the bottom of the 9th? These are mistakes that just cant happen.

With Barney-Bryd hitting 2-3 we have our two of our three worst position player bats batting second and third. Thats fucking stupid.

Oh, excellent. Cal, I dunno if you're taking requests, but I was hoping to hear your thoughts on the Silva thing a couple weeks ago?

Archived