Major. League. Baseball.

Myshkin

You really don't get it, do you? You somehow actually think "compare population of Anaheim CA and San Diego CA" is relevant. Kinda sad, actually.

Anaheim Angels games are broadcast on TV stations that cover all of LA. Their ad revenue thus covers all of the greater LA area. 18M people in LA, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside and Ventura counties.

Orange County is smaller than San Diego county. By a trivially small 60,000 people. But that is irrelevant. The local MEDIA market is determined by where your games get broadcast. Even though they are second fiddle in that market, their local revenues dwarf almost every other team in the league. Definitely the Padres. Probably even ahead of the Giants, who are in the Reno market and all of California north of SLO.

I find it telling that this was the only part of my post you answered. Answer me this then: if the Angels broadcast in LA, why don't the Padres broadcast in OC? They suck, that's why. The point I'm getting at is that if the Padres were any good they could expand their market as the Angels have done. I still find it sad that you must blame your team's woes on their market.

Philosophical question of the moment directed at none other than the ether that is the MLB thread:

How does the Giant fan feel about the Dodger fans unleashing the furies of their passions and hatred upon another?

I don't understand the question.

But still, fuck the Padres and their stupid luck. I guess SF has bad luck to repay for all the good luck they had last October, but still. That pitch to Posey was so not a strike.

Bronn: I dislike Latos on a general basis, not just when he's pitching. I've heard rumors that he's not real popular amongst his teammates, too. On the whole, I mainly dislike SD for their ability to eke out these wins against the Giants, but also I thought it was pretty pathetic that the games I watched @SD last year seemed to have more Giants fans than Padres fans in them.....in the heat of a division race. It's one thing to have a small market, and I respect what the Padres have been able to do despite not having a lot of resources, but they should at least be able to fill up their ballpark. It's not like it's the Coliseum or something.

I find it telling that this was the only part of my post you answered. Answer me this then: if the Angels broadcast in LA, why don't the Padres broadcast in OC? They suck, that's why. The point I'm getting at is that if the Padres were any good they could expand their market as the Angels have done. I still find it sad that you must blame your team's woes on their market.

I don't think it's that simple.

You compound your ignorance. Baseball broadcast rules prohibit expanding in to the territory of another team. The LA market is allocated by MLB to the two teams in the LA Basin. You really ought to sit back and let people who know what the f*** they are talking about do the talking. There are plenty of Dodgers fans on this forum with clues. Let one of them chime in.

Or even a Giants fan. Good job, Kat.

The rest of your post was disregarded because it was just chest-thumping and I've grown weary of it. You bored me in to submission. Congratulations.

2/5ths of the rotation is on the DL. Casey Coleman time.

I think the Cubs rock Galaragga today. They have been hitting and Galaragga sucks.

Does he suck? I don't know about that. Inconsistent? Sure. But I don't know how you can say an AL pitcher who basically threw a no hitter last year moving to the NL "sucks".

That being said, the Cubs should get to him. :P

Does anyone actually believe what happened after the opening Dodgers game to be a case of sports fans going too far in the name of their team? Christ, I hope not.

I am a fan of many teams, players and sports. In my forty years on this earth I have encountered loyal fans of sport and I have encountered total assholes. The key is understanding the difference between a fan with asshole attributes and assholes and thugs with fan attributes. No one fanbase should be painted with a brush reserved for a few or subset. Rivalry or not, what happened after the game had nothing to do with sport appreciation or team loyalty.

I love the new Gameday. Couldn't get it to work with my browser before today, but it's pretty cool.

Agree 100%. Very cool upgrade. I don't have cable TV so my usual MO is to listen to games on the radio while watching Gameday on the computer.

You compound your ignorance. Baseball broadcast rules prohibit expanding in to the territory of another team. The LA market is allocated by MLB to the two teams in the LA Basin. You really ought to sit back and let people who know what the f*** they are talking about do the talking. There are plenty of Dodgers fans on this forum with clues. Let one of them chime in.

You win, I capitulate, you are correct sir.

The rest of your post was disregarded because it was just chest-thumping and I've grown weary of it. You bored me in to submission. Congratulations.

As for this: bullshit. You made a startlingly ridiculous claim that can not be backed up, then changed you argument 4 times in an attempt to backpedal, then whined a bit, and now pretend you are above such matters. Bravo.

Plus ancillary broadcast revenues from San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield and Santa Barbara among others.

Minor nitpick. SLO is Giants territory. I was surprised too. Dodgers/Angels extends through Pismo Beach however.

Philosophical question of the moment directed at none other than the ether that is the MLB thread:

How does the Giant fan feel about the Dodger fans unleashing the furies of their passions and hatred upon another?

It definitely makes my life easier in this thread. That and Lasorda praise. Because how do you even respond to that insanity anyway?

See, I actually wondered if it might anger a Giant fan a bit to see Dodger hatred directed elsewhere. Just like a natural response to something so out of line with the status quo.

No no. It's cool. We know the hatred for us is still there. It's a law of nature. And let's face it, the Padres are really annoying.

Minor nitpick. SLO is Giants territory. I was surprised too. Dodgers/Angels extends through Pismo Beach however.

But don't they get the Santa Barbara TV stations? Which would give them local Dodgers/Angels games. You're in the area, you'd know. I totally accept it if you say not.

But don't they get the Santa Barbara TV stations? Which would give them local Dodgers/Angels games. You're in the area, you'd know.

It's weird. They have their own station (in Santa Maria we get stations from SLO, Santa Barbara, Pismo, and Santa Monica) but not sure which affiliate. But SLO gets the CSN sports feed from the Bay Area. The trophy even visited in February. Plus the all-important changing theme of the bar decor as you head north.

ETA: Also KNBR affilates go as far south as SLO and no further. I could barely pick up a Giants game in Grover, but no chance in Santa Maria.

Edit2: CSN kind of pisses me off in general. In this wasteland of not much but coast, why in hell can we not get both CSN "California" and CSN "Pacific?FSN West"* As best I can tell, no one cares about the Dodgers or the Giants here. Except for what's on the TV, I would never know what "territory" this is.

So now I don't watch their channel at all because it's Ducks/Angels/Dodgers/Kings. Win?

*Edit3: Further research tells me that SoCal is FSN not CSN. Which is even more irritating, but at least makes sense.

No no. It's cool. We know the hatred for us is still there. It's a law of nature. And let's face it, the Padres are really annoying.

Don't read this unless you are a Giants fan:

FUCK YOU

West coast baseball fans and their 'rivalries'. You guys are just so darn funny.

PS: For the record, I can at least appreciate the Giants/Dodgers rivalry as it extends back beyond their west coast moves, but it's still makes me chuckle.

Archived