Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoë Sumra

Edit: Whoops! Forgot that he won the FA cup one time. Good job Harry, just hold tight till we can sack this Capello bloke and the England job's all yours. Never mind that Capello has won a league title with four different clubs as well as the European Cup; Harry, you're the man for us!

Redknapp has a record of getting good results from previously under-performing players. I'd say that those skills are absolutely perfect for the England job.

I think he'd be poorly suited for the Chelsea job however.

I'm going to try to watch some women's world cup games this summer. I'll follow the USA women as best I can.

Speaking of US national teams, are you going to try catching any of the Gold Cup live? It's quite likely that the US will be at RFK for the quarterfinals (you are in the DC area, yes?).

And can't somebody send in a SEAL team to take out Michel Platini, while we're busy routing out evil?

I never had the impression that Platini was covered in the same stink as some of the FIFA people but happy to hear otherwise?

LeBron James was wearing a Liverpool jacket during his postgame presser after his team advanced to the NBA finals yesterday. Was kind of surreal.

Womens' World Cup soccer is generally fun, I saw a couple of games when I was younger at the New York Giants' American football stadium (I think China, the US, Canada, and Brazil all played that day), and the atmosphere was fantastic, especially the Brazillians and their drums. Never seen a club match, though; I don't know where I would look (though I imagine I have some former classmates on teams currently).

ETA: Piece by David Hershey on why he's rooting for MUFC over Barca this weekend. I get his rationale, but unfortunately cannot root for United.

LeBron James was wearing a Liverpool jacket during his postgame presser after his team advanced to the NBA finals yesterday. Was kind of surreal.

Wasn't he given shares by the new company in exchange for his advertising rights? Aye. Not a decision I approved of, but such is the modern game.

Zonal Marking has a typically good article examining the final tomorrow night.

Wasn't he given shares by the new company in exchange for his advertising rights?

Yeah, seems to have very little to do with anything but them throwing something in to get his advertising rights. I remember a press conference with them saying how it would be a benefit for Liverpool to be associated with the most famous sportsman in the world or something like that, I have no idea what he even looks like.

Speaking of US national teams, are you going to try catching any of the Gold Cup live? It's quite likely that the US will be at RFK for the quarterfinals (you are in the DC area, yes?).

You know... that's a great idea! Haha, especially since its going to be our A team at the gold cup. I live in Arlington btw, you're in the DC area too?

I do have some tickets to see DC united in august. Ill probably try to get to a couple others this summer as well. What is the experience at rfk like? It has to be better than Gillette stadium (moved here from boston last fall).

You know... that's a great idea! Haha, especially since its going to be our A team at the gold cup. I live in Arlington btw, you're in the DC area too?

I do have some tickets to see DC united in august. Ill probably try to get to a couple others this summer as well. What is the experience at rfk like? It has to be better than Gillette stadium (moved here from boston last fall).

RFK is no place to be seeing a soccer match (or any sporting event.) It's so archaic and rundown looking. MC and I took in the Red Bulls and had second row seats right at mid-pitch, which you would think is great right? Except that we were essentially at pitch level so we missed a lot of what was right in front of us by the team benches/scoring and officials area. The fans are fantastic though. We were on the bench side and across is where the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles sit. And by sit, I mean stand, drum, sing and cheer all game. It's pretty awesome to see. We also have tickets to when Portland comes to town in August.

Overall, it's not a horrible experience and the atmosphere is very fun. Just aim for not close to field level in your tickets if you can manage it. I have some pictures and video I'll try to upload to flickr and then link back here.

ETA

Pre-game 12th man

Pre-game

Thierry Henry subbing out

Also, curious to know what the Columbus stadium is like. We'll be there in July so MC can watch his beloved Newcastle play.

Edit: Puyol on the bench for Barca, not good news for them.

I think that'll be interesting to see, if United can apply some consistent pressure then I don't think there's much doubt that the lack of Puyol will be a blow but if their main threat is just quick breaks then Mascherano might be better equiped to cover that.

Excuse my ignorance. I watch the WC and the EC every time, but I'm not as familiar with how the club leagues work. Is this game the EUFA final of finals?

I just threw on the TV and was surprised and heartened to see that I actually have access to this match.

Yeah, the top few clubs in each European league go into the Champion's League, and this is the final of that. Biggest club match in the world.

Utd just equalised! Didn't see that coming.

Archived