Police/Robbery Story

Colder Hands

I beat the cops there and draw my gun and start to approach the building slowly. As I am going up the steps to the house (gun drawn, but pointed at the ground by my hip) the cops pull up.

So let me see if I have this right. The police receive a phone call that a woman has been robbed, and when they arrive on the scene they see a guy in shorts and a t-shirt climbing her steps with a gun drawn. And you wonder why they are suspicious?

Also, I'm not sure why you were prowling around with a drawn weapon anyway. If the criminals were gone the gun was not needed; if they were there, it seems to me you'd have been better off awaiting the arrival of the police, who are trained to investigate these matters. Having a permit to own or carry a firearm does not qualify you to fight crime.

Gotta say, I can't really find much wrong with the police response here. Coming from me that ought to mean something.

I would love to know what kind of job you have that lets you carry concealed in Washington DC. How do you not just keep it with your gun or in your wallet?? (celebrate by the way, Wisconsin just started issuing CCPs. Illinois is the only place that doesn't now).

To the horrified Euro's. Get over it. We take charge of our own safety here. If you're that unmanned by the idea of doing violence yourself instead of hiding behind a proxy in government costume I pity you.

To the horrified Euro's. Get over it. We take charge of our own safety here.

good one. i think you have about 30 times as many per firearms related deaths per capita as the UK, i envy your safety.

also only pussies carry guns, we settle issues with our fists over here.

good one. i think you have about 30 times as many per firearms related deaths per capita as the UK, i envy your safety.

Watch out, big dick swinging here.

Of course, you settle issues with fists because that's what your government lets you use (not really), you big tough manly man.

Gotta say, I can't really find much wrong with the police response here. Coming from me that ought to mean something.

I would love to know what kind of job you have that lets you carry concealed in Washington DC. How do you not just keep it with your gun or in your wallet?? (celebrate by the way, Wisconsin just started issuing CCPs. Illinois is the only place that doesn't now).

To the horrified Euro's. Get over it. We take charge of our own safety here. If you're that unmanned by the idea of doing violence yourself instead of hiding behind a proxy in government costume I pity you.

You are so cool.

Something regarding knives and gun fights seems to come to mind here, doubly so for fists to gunfights. Would that I lived in a place where firearms weren't so prevalent, I'd be of completely the same mind as you. Since I'm charged with keeping people safe in a place where that isn't so, I carry wherever I go. When it comes to settling personal disputes, I certainly agree with the sentiment.

That being said, from CH's recollection I think the police did a bang-up job in that case. They showed enough restraint to not cause any injury, but didn't take any chances with civilian or officer safety. Kudos to you for assuming as non-threatening a position as possible given the circumstances. Even as an officer that's what we're taught to do if we get involved in something off-duty once the uniformed/on-duty officers show up.

Right, let's myopically focus on gun-crime, while ignoring the fact that the UK has dramatically higher rates of assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft than the US.

Right, let's myopically focus on gun-crime, while ignoring the fact that the UK has dramatically higher rates of assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft than the US.

I'd rather be assaulted or have something stolen than get shot personally. Each to their own though.

Guest Raidne

Well, the actual question, as phrased by 2nd amendment entusiasts is whether you'd rather get mugged or assaulted than shoot someone else.

I, personally, would, in most circumstances because, IMO, killing someone does worse things to you in the long run than whatever the perp probably had in mind. And yet, there are situations in my life where I would have shot someone if I had been armed. Since I still live, this would have been a mistake. Ergo, at this point in my life, I'm sticking with this decision and have no interest in carrying a lethal weapon.

Who doesn't think Raidne with a taser would be a fun time though? :)

Long story + mini rant to follow about the night I just got home from...

snip story

I have a serious case of the Mondays but not as bad as my friend :(

I am so sorry that happened to your friend. That must have been very scary for her. I can't fault the police for their reaction even though it was very annoying for you. Anytime there are loaded guns involved, extreme caution needs to be take by all parties. This is also for your protection.

I am just glad it all worked out ok and everyone is safe.

Guest Raidne

I would add that in CH's situation, I'd rather shoot a stranger than see them assault, rape, kill, etc. someone else, just to make that distinction and the fact that I'm not judging him for that clear.

Well, the actual question, as phrased by 2nd amendment entusiasts is whether you'd rather get mugged or assaulted than shoot someone else.

I, personally, would, in most circumstances because, IMO, killing someone does worse things to you in the long run than whatever the perp probably had in mind. And yet, there are situations in my life where I would have shot someone if I had been armed. Since I still live, this would have been a mistake. Ergo, at this point in my life, I'm sticking with this decision and have no interest in carrying a lethal weapon.

That's an excellent point - I have several friends who have been involved in lethal shootings, and even being completely justified and driven by necessity, those incidents have a traumatic impact on the shooter. If you're ever interested, On Killing and even more so On Combat, both by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman are really interesting reads that deal with that notion, as well as the effects of stress, combat, and after-effects like PTSD in soldiers and police officers.

Raidne,

I would add that in CH's situation, I'd rather shoot a stranger than see them assault, rape, kill, etc. someone else, just to make that distinction and the fact that I'm not judging him for that clear.

Well said. If there are three guys or if they were armed CH could have done nothing if he hadn't been armed, other than get his ass kicked. The police took rational precautions given the situation. I simply thought they had "lost" CH's firearm.

All good points. I think we can all get behind the last sentence.

CH, I think you did the right thing, on all counts.

But I don't really fault the cops either - I think they did a good job actually, and first and foremost becuase they did not shoot you when they first rolled up. Your own calm response certainly contributed to that, but man, knowing what the cops knew... it wouldn't have been shocking to see on the news that they popped a guy in a case of mistaken identity.

I work with a guy in my current job who was DC Fire back in the 80's and 90's. His stories from that time are FUCKED UP. DC is better today, but judging from what I heard from my friend - I would think that any MPD officer, even today, would need to be prepared to shoot every time they get a call. Something to bear in mind.

As others said though, that's the risk you took when you drew the weapon (and you probably know that) and I commend your balls in coming to another's aid.

I am reading this the same way that Raidne is. Concealed weapon permits are not an issue. He's wearing a shoulder holster over a t-shirt. That is the opposite of a concealed weapon. That's straight out of Deadwood, but 21st Century style.

But not carrying ID at all times is just plain stupid. I do NOT leave my house without the magic trio. Keys, phone and wallet. One two three. Check them all before letting the door close.

I completely understand your point of view. Personally, I don't carry any sort of lethal weapon because I have zero interest in spending any time at the shooting range, and I know that people who are inexperienced carrying weapons are a greater danger to themselves...because the criminal is going to be able to take their gun and use it against them.

So, I go unarmed. Darling is there to protect me while jogging :)

to on one hand say that having a gun to protect one's self and home is vital but to not do so is only inviting problem. is it not only your right but duty to do so? you are doing a disservice by not taking your own safety to this legal degree. is he with you at all times? is there a similar armed person with you at all times?

if crime is truly such a worry how can you sleep knowing that there are times in which you or another trusted person does not have a gun at hand to protect you?

i write this sarcastic post to all people who truly believe that having a gun to protect themselves is actually so important that you have gone to the legal extent to make sure you and yours are so protected.

Archived