Asian Fever II

Yagathai

It could be the mullets. Women like the perfect balance of business and partay.

It's true. If the mullet says one thing, it is this: I am a complex and multi-faceted man.

I'm impressed that nas recognized Jesse Heiman. :wideeyed: Guess I don't pay nearly enough attention to extras.

Oh, to be sure, there would be hostility to that. Perhaps HK where I grew up is different since we were a colony, and we sort of accepted the power structure of the British dominating over the Chinese, but most British (by extension European/Caucasian)-Chinese pairings that I have been aware of are not met with hostility by other Chinese people. In some cases, it was seen as a sort of status, especially early on when a proper English education were not as widespread and so a Chinese woman capable of marrying into a British family is proof that she came from a well-to-do family, etc. There's always a reaction to that, of course, in terms of criticisms similar to that made against Uncle Tom's, etc.

Rumer Godden's novels often feature relationships between Eurasian women and British men set in colonial India; usually the relationship doesn't end well due to the class/status tensions. Good writing, though.

It could be the mullets. Women like the perfect balance of business and partay.

Speaking as a pasty white person, what I really look for in a man is someone who tolerates my almost-obsessive need to apply sunblock in January. (Hey, that snow reflects the UV rays, you know!)

Denial, defensiveness, individual white people taking discussions of whiteness as a construct/class personally and obtusely, attacking the OP personally instead of engaging with the named problem. Looks like classic derailing to me!

Does anyone else have a serious chubby for white people?

It's a great culture. Full of thanksgiving, deep fryers, superbowl, shame and guilt. I love it. It's celebratory, and humble, all at once.

Serious answers only.

What, and give up sexual repression and gender segregation and burqas and pakoras/samosas/jalebis and really cheap hashish? Fuck, no! We may have the Taliban, but we also have our very own universe of deep-frying which makes everything utterly worth it! :smoking:

Denial, defensiveness, individual white people taking discussions of whiteness as a construct/class personally and obtusely, attacking the OP personally instead of engaging with the named problem. Looks like classic derailing to me!

Focus, my dear. Who the hell are you addressing here? I know I'm old and stuff and pay too much attention to how nice I still look in the mirror I bought off that one Carny, but I still can't figure out who you're talking at. I can't think of one poster that would fit all of this at once...

Ooooh, do I get to pull out this map again?

http://www.targetmap...x?reportId=3073

WTF? How the hell do Pakistanis have bigger dicks than Indians? They're basically just like us! God dammit, if that's not cause for war, I don't know what is! Somebody get the tanks warmed up!

On a lighter note, I'm flattered that TP - a well-regarded scientist himself - presumes that I'm good at science. I actually failed out of pre-med and engineering and only succeeded at architecture cause there are no "right answers" and it's all artsy-fartsy and shit.

And I've never even won a spelling bee in my entire life. Honest.

That map was obviously not designed by an American. It may have been designed by a Mexican, or a Canadian though. I do have to wonder why the country list at the bottom has the UK listed twice (and with 2 different sizes). I'm afraid that I am going to have to call the whole thing :bs:

On a related note, what happened to the excellent spin-off thread that was spawned from this one? I cannot find it.

WTF? How the hell do Pakistanis have bigger dicks than Indians? They're basically just like us! God dammit, if that's not cause for war, I don't know what is! Somebody get the tanks warmed up!

Ha! Of course we have bigger dicks. We're bigger wankers than you lot! :devil:

Wanna whip it out, duke it out? :leer:

Ignore the fact that I'm a woman and therefore not in possession of the appendage at present; I can always force some guy to cooperate.

Focus, my dear. Who the hell are you addressing here? I know I'm old and stuff and pay too much attention to how nice I still look in the mirror I bought off that one Carny, but I still can't figure out who you're talking at. I can't think of one poster that would fit all of this at once...

I'm not your "dear" or anyone's "dear", and I feel like there is a parallel to "boy" here. Would you call a male poster "my dear"? I don't think so.

For the record, I was referring to the conversation as a whole. Some posters seem really invested in proving Yags has some personal agenda, thus negating the topic of conversation. I find that level of investment itself worth comment.

It’s interesting to me that we are spending this much time and effort on demonizing the members of the majority who primarily prefer women from a minority group due to racial, ethnic, and cultural stereotypes (who are indeed assholes if this is their sole reason for preferring Asian women for example), but are conveniently ignoring the fact that these stereotypes are entirely rooted in the way the women in the minority have been treated by men within their own group. Asian women fell under the “quiet and submissive” stereotype because of gender roles and expectations created, and still routinely enforced, by their treatment at the hands of Asian men, not because that is how the White Man’s vision of proper conduct fashioned them to be. I would bet that a higher ratio of Asian-Asian couples revolve around the expectation of the “quiet, submissive woman” stereotype being a reality than their White Man-Asian Woman counterparts.

...these stereotypes are entirely rooted in the way the women in the minority have been treated by men within their own group. Asian women fell under the “quiet and submissive” stereotype because of gender roles and expectations created, and still routinely enforced, by their treatment at the hands of Asian men, not because that is how the White Man’s vision of proper conduct fashioned them to be.

Hmm, this is a tough one. Certainly the place I live in could appear to validate your statement. Women are largely oppressed due to culture and religion and decades/centuries of indoctrination. And it's our men doing it, so are they further cementing our image as downtrodden, *urqa-clad thralls in the eyes of the rest of the world? Pretty much, as are we (our women as a whole) *y 'letting' them.

The most frustrating thing on the planet, *tw, is having to argue rights with a woman who refuses to acknowledge that she might have some of her own. Many women themselves perceive such ideas as scandalous (mild) or *lasphemous. That's the pinnacle of oppression in my eyes.

Yet, women are reacting and trying to change. Workingwomen across classes is a rising phenomenan, for example. Is it *ecause their men 'let' them? Or have they snatched their rights from the jaws of oppression themselves, so to speak?

Women from a certain income/affluence/educational *ackground might *e taught that they have rights and need to defend them, definitely not the majority though. I do agree that changing such a status quo here is more likely if women enmasse understand, accept, desire and then work for the change.

For myself, it isn't easy asserting my individuality and freedom, yet I do it (and do it well imo) daily: in my marriage, where I am an equal in matters ranging from money to socializing to sex to personal freedom; at work where my salary, relationships with colleagues and general role is more than satisfactory in terms of respect and cooperation and carmaraderie; socially where I wear what I want, and pretty much do what I want (within reason, natch!).

This doesn't mean I don't get hostile looks and sneers and lecherous shit every single day. Doesn't mean when men see me driving alone they don't leer or try to follow or scowl *ecause as a woman I should *e home cooking. Or that older women keep asking me why I work, why I haven't popped out at least 3 tots after *eing happily married for a decade. Or even that some of my own peers think I'm a lewd whore ecause I drink and smoke and had relationships with different men prior to my marriage.

It's a constant fight, really. You feel defensive, angry. As a woman in my society, I am the oppressed and the disadvantaged, no matter how secure and snug the little world I personally inha*it.

To get to the point (finally!), when a man makes a casual or thoughtless sexist remark I (used to) fly into an impassioned argument (on a good day) or a murderous rage (most days). Hell, I used to rant and argue and they'd give me stunned looks since they just couldn't fucking understand what I was saying. Literally. Now I settle for a quiet, sarcastic yet challenging reply and usually, I'm scary enough (insane enough?) that they don't get into it with me.

Most men here have *een indoctrinated same as us women. Men from more enlightened societies haven't. So perhaps when they assume the same narrow minded, insulting stereotypes that 'our' men have forced us into for so long, it's disappointing and infuriating on another level? I know they don't have an o*ligation per se to dig deeper, look past the stereotype. Doesn't mean it won't piss the stereotypee (?) off.

Kinda crapped out my entire life story there, didn't I? :blushing:

Derailing is totally on-topic. Asian fever isn't a logical problem. It's an adventure. Sometimes, the fever-induced haze takes you down a few back alleys in a seedy part of Bangkok, to a joint that looks like it's seen it's fair share of knifings. But sometimes you'll find yourself following a fine lady in Tokyo, with a camera strapped to your boot, trying to snap pictures of her panties, frantically hoping that they bear a resemblance to what that chick wears in Ghost in the Shell. Other times you'll be in the heart of Toronto's Chinatown, conveniently located close to U of T, and full of more Orientals than you can shake your fat pink mast at.

You just never know where it'll take you! What a delight!

Archived