Asian Fever II

Yagathai

Meh, this thread has gone to hell in a dozen ways, so I might as well make a post lamenting the clear hatred directed at people that like anime/manga and happen to be white. We all aren't Perseus!

(to be clear, I've not seen any of this and am just making a joke)

That's just because I'm restraining myself to try to keep this thing on topic.

Respectfully beg to differ here.

This may be true in China/ Hong Kong or Singapore, not sure about Thailand, Korea, Indonesia, Borneo Malaysia, Guam, Saipan, or the Philippines as I wasn't paying any attention. But I definitely encountered hostility in Japan on a fairly regular basis when out with a Japanese woman.

ETA: I only mention the countries/territories I've been to. Sorry if that seemed random.

Edit2: forgot Borneo is in Malaysia and inexplicably Singapore entirely.

Oh, to be sure, there would be hostility to that. Perhaps HK where I grew up is different since we were a colony, and we sort of accepted the power structure of the British dominating over the Chinese, but most British (by extension European/Caucasian)-Chinese pairings that I have been aware of are not met with hostility by other Chinese people. In some cases, it was seen as a sort of status, especially early on when a proper English education were not as widespread and so a Chinese woman capable of marrying into a British family is proof that she came from a well-to-do family, etc. There's always a reaction to that, of course, in terms of criticisms similar to that made against Uncle Tom's, etc.

Not to throw cold water on this discussion but I am not so sure that the ad in question is that great an example of "Asian fever". Take out the specific mention of Asian and it is just a very creepy ad from someone with female issues.

Treating this ad as real, my take is this just a lonely guy, who perhaps, has not had much interaction with real women. The attributes listed for his prospective mate are what he believes he wants in a women. But not having so much interaction with them he doesn't really know what he wants. So he comes up with this idealized version that includes Asian, preferably Japanese, due to his interest in anime/manga. Or maybe a Japanese girl smiled at him from across campus on afternoon and his misinterpreted that as interest.

Who knows? My point is that I don't even think he does. Maybe he is trying to figure that out and just writing down whatever he is into a his perfect girlfriend.

So I don't think he is fetishizing Asian women as much as not knowing anything about any women.

(I can see an argument where the fact that he did specifically mention Asian relates to the discussion regarding societies role in the sexualization of Asian women. I can se that. Just not sure that is the case with a 22 year old who doesn't seem to be social with many women to begin with.)

Oh, to be sure, there would be hostility to that.

Well, dang it! Is or is not Japan an E. Asian country?

Perhaps HK where I grew up is different since we were a colony, and we sort of accepted the power structure of the British dominating over the Chinese, but most British (by extension European/Caucasian)-Chinese pairings that I have been aware of are not met with hostility by other Chinese people. In some cases, it was seen as a sort of status, especially early on when a proper English education were not as widespread and so a Chinese woman capable of marrying into a British family is proof that she came from a well-to-do family, etc. There's always a reaction to that, of course, in terms of criticisms similar to that made against Uncle Tom's, etc.

I'm not sure that English colonization is a root cause. Isn't China fairly similar as far as that goes? At any rate, the hiring of white nobody's to pretend to be white businessmen sure sticks in my mind.

I would actually consider the antipathy (in Japan) towards white fellas dating Japanese chicks to be an entirely different beast to the reaction this causes in Western countries. More of a "coming over here, taking our women!" thing, somewhere between Mississippi-rednecks-lite and "what does she SEE in him?!". Not being a minority in their own country, the Japanese guys are unlikely to be looking at this as some imperial imposition by Whitey, rather a sneaky theft by some usurpers.

I know this may be unpopular, but I have to say that I am getting a little sick of white dudes stealing all of our white women. Seriously, why is this? Is it their moderately-sized dicks?

I know this may be unpopular, but I have to say that I am getting a little sick of white dudes stealing all of our white women. Seriously, why is this? Is it their moderately-sized dicks?

Holy shit, I was just talking to someone about this the other day. My dick is like.. barely larger (if not slightly smaller) than average.

There is a lot of chubby in general amongst white people. Which leads to lack of visual evidence. Which leads to fear of the unknown.

Which leads to cave diving. Some go forward and have a wonderful experience they couldn't imagine in their wildest dreams before that moment; some were chicken and walked back to the car.

Sorry. I ended up talking about a SCUBA dive many years ago. I think a similar principle applies though.

It could be the mullets. Women like the perfect balance of business and partay.

Archived