Son of Videogames Thread

Inigima

It sounds like you had a hell of a time with the single player campaign, how did you feel about the multiplayer?

This question was directed to WJ, but since I've spent many hours this past week playing Gears 3 I'm going to answer. The options in multiplayer have been so much fun for me that I haven't had time to finish the campaign yet...

Building your base and then taking on ridiculous amounts of grubs in Horde is just great fun. Getting to the boss waves and knowing that you as a human can actually take down these giant beasts is a great feeling - while the difficulty still keeps it challenging. The upgrades that become avalible for barriers, sentries, decoys (and eventually I'll get to that Silverback) keep drawing me back to Horde.

Beast is a bit too repetitive but still rather fun.

So I haven't played too much Versus games - Team Deathmatch, Warzone, etc. - but those aspects also seems well done.

My gamertag is pinkfloyd1982, feel free to send friend requests my way.

Your biggest problem i think will be finding it anyway, i don't think ive seen Gears of War on steem. If you can find it it's probably dirt cheap though.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/games/pages/gearsofwarforwindows.aspx

Here is a downloadable copy of gears of war for the PC... I am actually thinking about checking it out this week while I wait for Arkham City to be released next week.

Well Winter has truly come,it looks like Mass Effect 3 has officialy announced it has multiplayer. heres the article

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1199220p1.html

What are you opinions, mine is im against it. Not every game needs to have multiplayer in it. I know there are some RPG's with multiplayer elements in it, some are good and innovative and the rest are crap. Mass Effect has been a great single player experience, that i don't feel needed to have multiplayer thrust upon it.

I disagree. Bioware have catered to everyone with Mass Effect 3. For those that want to complete the game co-operatively with a friend are now free to do so, those who want to do it alone are still free to do so. Nothing will change about the game at all and you're still free to have the same great experience the first 2 offered.

At least they haven't added a team deathmatch mode or something. I can imagine Co-op actually being quite fun, much like it was with Resident Evil 5.

Did you play Demon's Souls? I thought the Taurus Demon was pretty easy. You just have to make sure you're equiped gear isn't too heavy (less than 25% of your max), so you can roll quickly. If you had a bow you could probably just climb to the roof where the two zombie archers were, and not even have to fight him. I would have tried that but he was dead before I even thought of it.

But the difficulty takes a major spike from there. I've probably died about 50 times since then, losing several blood stains in the process. Next comes the damned dragon. Get past him and there are a lot of really nasty enemies - like shield zombies that are hanging out with the armored boar (on the bright side, the boar doesn't respawn), then there are stronger knights to deal with (there are a lot of them, but at least you can draw them out one at a time), and then a section where you rushed by about 15 enemies at once.

I'm currently dying to the Bell Gargoyles. This game is fucking hard. But I still love it. Except that I can't figure out how to kick. I do what they told me, but my character just does a quick slash to a backflip. That doesn't break enemies guards, and just puts me out range to exploit the enemies counter attack.

I haven't played Demon Souls so maybe that makes it harder. Plus the fact that I ragequit easily after dying.

I need to level up so I can increase dexterity enough to effectively wield a shortbow before I can move on. Although I can't see myself lasting too much longer with this game if the difficulty seriously increases. Is there a bonfire close by after you kill Taurus demon? Please say yes, friend. Or that the shortcut from the last bonfire can be opened up - I've seen ghosts climbing an invisible ladder round there.

I played the first Alice game years ago when it first came out for the PC, the controls even then weren't that solid. But the world and the scenery, were just amazing. Its such a fucked up vision of this classic tale, I really enjoyed the whole dark demented tone of the game. I haven't play the Madness returns yet though, It got some fairly good reviews from most places i usually check for reviews.

The only negative I've really seen about it was that it's too easy. Especially if you use the DLC costumes. I want to finish the original first, assuming that I can adjust to the controls.

The question is: do you think someone will end up posting a Youtube video of them playing Dark Souls from start to finish without dying? Like some person did with Demon's Souls (in 1 hour no less).

I haven't seen that. Presumably they did it without levelling too? Did they just run away from every fight? But yeah, that'll probably happen. If you pick the Master Key during character set-up, that supposedly allows you to skip large portions of the game.

Is there a bonfire close by after you kill Taurus demon? Please say yes, friend. Or that the shortcut from the last bonfire can be opened up - I've seen ghosts climbing an invisible ladder round there.

Both. There is a bonfire in the doorway past the dragon. It's kind of a pain to get by, so don't try it just yet. The first time you get to the bridge, it blasts you with fire, just to declare its presence. Make sure you have full health (backtrack to the last bonfire if you have to), equip whatever shield has the best Fire Resistance, and keep it up as you approach the first time. After that it'll wait until you get a bit farther out before breathing on you. Make sure your equipment weight is less than 50% of your maximum (25% if you're really worried), and run straight down the bridge. About halfway there will be a stairway on the right - that leads to the bonfire where you can kick down a ladder.

When you get under the bridge, you can shoot at the dragons tail to get the Drake Sword - supposedly the best early game weapon you can get. (I'm not using it, because I didn't think to do that myself, and I'm being stubborn about that type of thing on my first playthrough. Makes it more satifsfying. Also, I haven't put enough points into Strength to use it - requires 16 Strength, 10 Dexterity - does 200 Damage.) Takes about 15 arrows. You might also consider buying a Heater Shield from the merchant in Undead Burg. Or you can wait a little and find a Knights Shield in the next section (100% Physical Damage Reduction is the key). Those should be enough to give you an edge back against the enemies.

After that it might be worth the effort to get past the dragon. You can get to next area without it, but it will give you a more convenient bonfire for the tough section that's coming. Just try to run past it, it'll jump down onto the bridge when you get closer. Don't bother trying to fight it now. Once you get through the doorway it'll leave you alone.

Holy Shit!

Tim Cain, the main brain behind the original Fallout and later co-founder of the much-missed Troika, has fetched up at Obsidian. Until this July, he was at Carbine, working since 2005 on what turned out to be Wildstar, but today we discover that he’s now Senior Programmer at the Fallout: New Vegas/ KOTOR 2 devs. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.

And it means he’s now working with the likes of Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart, as well as fellow Fallout co-creator Chris Jones, which makes for quite the RPG supergroup.

Interesting to note that Cain’s title is Senior Programmer, given his Carbine title was Design Director. Going back to his roots, perhaps?

The only known Obsidian game in development at the moment is an adaptation of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel Of Time, but hopefully they’re experimenting with something original too. They’ve worked with other people’s properties for almost their entire existence, bar the divisive Alpha Protocol: I’d love to see them bust out entirely and spectacularly on their own at last.

This is every western rpg-fan's wet dream come true.

Well heres a video of Casey Hudson Game Director of Mass Effect 3, talking about the multiplayer element.

http://www.gametrail...s-effect/722153

I love multiplayer games, theres nothing i enjoy more than having a good time playing with friends online. But i just don't feel every game should have multiplayer and this is one i wish didn't. I think my deep wanting to exclude multiplayer, is coming from the fact that i have seen so many great single player games, have shitty multiplayer forced upon them. Sometimes at the expense of the single player experience, there are exceptions. I actually enjoyed Assasins Creed Brotherhood, even with the addition of multiplayer, the single player didn't suffer and we still got a 20 plus hour single player campaign. So i know there are times it can work, I just don't feel we should have to have it thrust upon us, so EA can make more money. I.E their Online pass to force people who buy the game used, to purchase the pass to use multiplayer elements. Without online EA wouldn't be able to cash in on this pass for Mass Effect, like it has been doing for other games.

I also don't feel RPG's necessarily need multiplayer in them, for the fact that there is an entire genre dedicated to multiplayer RPG's called MMO RPG. I do know there can be huge difference, between a game like Mass Effect having multiplayer compared to an MMO, im just pointing something out thats all.

Thats just how i feel about this game and any great single player game being forced to include a multiplayer element in it. I know many people will probably highly enjoy this, im just not one of them

Thats just how i feel about this game and any great single player game being forced to include a multiplayer element in it. I know many people will probably highly enjoy this, im just not one of them</p>

It's supposedly completely optional. There's some weird way it can have an influence on the single player campaign, but it basically is a seperate co-op shooter set in the same setting. It won't involve any of the characters from the single player part of the game. Why they felt it necessary to make it part of ME3 (even though it's being worked on by a different team than the single player) is anyone's guess. EA probably thinks that the additional cost is going to be more than compensated for by the additional sales.

Mass Effect multi / coop. If in story mode the addtional players are actual characters in the story then that would be cool. But that would require the game to start off with Shepard having a reasonably full roster on his crew. This should be doable if ME3 picks up exactly where ME2 leaves off. Though it will be weird if you have to start Shep from Lvl1 all over again in that case. maybe they'll have to contrive some Reaper or Cerberus mind flaying attack on the Normandy which fries everyone's abilities and frazzles everyone's omnitools, and renders useless all the weapons.

From, what I've read the story picks up right after the Arrival DLC events.Shepard is on Earth for a trial, in the middle of which, the Reapers arrive. So I imagine the first few missions are going to mostly be savings your own ass, finding squad mates and getting back to the Normandy.

Special moves are supposedly going to have more evolutions, so I imagine the first ones will simulate the last few from ME2, helping you feel like your arsenal is similar, though a little weaker.

Pretty ambivalent towards the co-op. It seems like a last minute addition to appease the series long requests. I'm sure it'll be done well, but I'll be keeping my ME3 time to myself.

From, what I've read the story picks up right after the Arrival DLC events.Shepard is on Earth for a trial, in the middle of which, the Reapers arrive. So I imagine the first few missions are going to mostly be savings your own ass, finding squad mates and getting back to the Normandy.

Special moves are supposedly going to have more evolutions, so I imagine the first ones will simulate the last few from ME2, helping you feel like your arsenal is similar, though a little weaker.

Pretty ambivalent towards the co-op. It seems like a last minute addition to appease the series long requests. I'm sure it'll be done well, but I'll be keeping my ME3 time to myself.

If you import a save, you start at lvl 30 and can go to lvl 60. Not sure if you start fresh.

But yeah, I don't think there's a reset or anything this time. And they basically added more abilities and then extended the abilities you already had so they all go to like tier 8 or something instead of only 4.

I've been playing Dead Island for the last couple of weeks. Gotta say, i love this game. its a very fun game even with its flaws. Can't wait for more in this vane from these creators.

Also, been dying a lot on Dark Souls. I absolutly loved Demon Souls and Dark Souls is more of the same, with the possiblitly that it is even more evil, lol. My only bitch is Blight town, not that its bad per se, but it has been impossible for me.

If your an action RPG fan, I would definatly recomend at least a rent of each of these games.

I am playing Dead Island as well. The game is very playable, but it has some flaws. I think that the rate that you die in this game is kind of ridiculous. There are some zombies that you face that the best strategy is to charge in untill you buy at and then respawn and keep it up as they retain the damage they took in your previous life. This is just kind of cheezy. I also think that the script writing could have been done a lot better. Yes, I want to hit Zombies with baseball bats and machetes, but I would also like to be told a decent tale while I am doing so. The pre release video for the game had my hopes raised incredible high, as I believe that it may be one of the best trailers that I have ever seen for anything.

On another note, The first reviews of Uncharted 3 have started to leak. A Portuguese websight gave it a 9.9 out of 10. I have not read it because I was warned that it contained end game spoilers, but that is pretty high marks. I have been bracing myself for somewhat of a letdown because of the almost impossible task of topping Uncharted 2. My hopes are back.

I am playing Dead Island as well. The game is very playable, but it has some flaws. I think that the rate that you die in this game is kind of ridiculous. There are some zombies that you face that the best strategy is to charge in untill you buy at and then respawn and keep it up as they retain the damage they took in your previous life. This is just kind of cheezy. I also think that the script writing could have been done a lot better. Yes, I want to hit Zombies with baseball bats and machetes, but I would also like to be told a decent tale while I am doing so. The pre release video for the game had my hopes raised incredible high, as I believe that it may be one of the best trailers that I have ever seen for anything.

I agree with all of your points. The story could have been a lot better, I don't understand why the story isn't better either and you do die a lot. Overall though, it was just fun to play and at times had a creepy atmosphere. They also handled the online co op aspect really well and showed this is how online co op should be.

On another note, The first reviews of Uncharted 3 have started to leak. A Portuguese websight gave it a 9.9 out of 10. I have not read it because I was warned that it contained end game spoilers, but that is pretty high marks. I have been bracing myself for somewhat of a letdown because of the almost impossible task of topping Uncharted 2. My hopes are back.

I'm surprised there isn't a review embargo. Though for a game like Uncharted 3, where people are worried that it won't live up to the awesome of uncharted 2, having reviews come out prior to launch will help sales. From what I've seen of Uncharted 3 I think it will top Uncharted 2 in every way a game can top its predecessor. I watched the fight in the ruined desert village and pre-ordered the game on the spot. I never pre-order games, in fact I hate paying new release prices and normally wait for at least a 15-20% drop from launch price. The improvements in melee, the stuffing grenades into people's pockets, the picking up and throwing back grenades, the using the butt of your assault rifle to smack people around the head, the taking of guns off your enemy while in HtH combat with them, the improved animation over Uncharted 2. And then there's people who played the multiplayer beta and said there's a lot more (and better) there than Uncharted 2.

It's looking great.

Archived