Goodkind 51: Kahl Scratch Fever

Myshkin

Sometimes author that are popular enough (or who think they are) self-publish because they don't think they need the pub house to market for them, so they don't want to pay the costs. Usually they do this strictly with ebooks - see, eg, JK Rowling. James Patterson does it too IIRC, but he might publish his own hardbacks.

The new novel is titled THE FIRST CONFESSOR: The Legend of Magda Searus. It will be available on July-2, this year. 18 days from now. English release, simultaneous and world-wide. There will be three formats available; ebook (available on all platforms including iPad, Nook, Kindle, etc), a printed and limited Collector's Edition, and an audiobook version. The ebook price will be $9.99, on sale for $8.99 the first week only. More details on the Collector's Edition and Audiobook will be revealed this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/terrygoodkind/posts/10150871656296822

From Goodkind:

THE FIRST CONFESSOR Limited Collector's Edition. Only 300 will be made. A few will be offered as prizes for contests. Pre-sale begins this Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. / Noon, PST.

http://www.facebook.com/terrygoodkind

Fans are not happy:

Please please for all your millions of dedicated fans reconsider the option of releasing this book as a paperback or even a limited edition hardback on its own. You are disappointing a lot if fans who cant afford this and don't or won't use an e reader. Please don't disappoint us.

Goodkind opens up about The First Confessor:

We hope we've accomplished what we set out to do and we understand some people are disappointed in not being able to buy a traditional/mass market hardcover. However, that was not for us to offer. The publishing industry got together and colluded to restrict authors from breaking apart books by format. We cannot offer an ebook ourselves and still have a publisher print a mass copy. They demand to have the rights and royalties from the ebook as a package contract. We had a choice, give the book to a publisher or offer it ourselves, without the mass printing.

I gave up a substantial advance to offer this book. I gave up having hardcovers featured on book shelves. But what I get instead is the opportunity to offer a product for a price far less than would otherwise be offered, faster than would have ever been possible, world-wide on release day, by our terms and our rules and with our contributions -- including things like this Collector's Edition.

When Richard was taken to the Old World, he was told what to carve, how to carve it, where it would appear, and when. What did he do? He carved his own statue, his own way, and revealed it his own way at the time of his choosing. THE FIRST CONFESSOR is my statue, my own creation through and through. The subtitle could very well be 'It's my life. I am rising up and living it.' Welcome to the New World.

Thank you for joining us on this incredible adventure. Our success lives and dies with your support.

I'm glad that I'm living in the Old World (=Europe).

Archived