More exercise and fitness.

a wooden chair

I'll give it a few more sessions before I take it that far. I used to dance. I'm used to watching myself in the mirror and making the adjustment so that the specific muscle group I need is activated. It's not just about looking correct, it's about looking correct and feeling correct. So a mirror is very helpful for me, personally.

Have you been back? What did your trainer say?

first time i've ever had problems with runners nipple, what's the easiest solution?

I use micropore surgical tape and have had no issues, even when doing 10-20 mile training runs and running a marathon.

Chataya - Congratz on that run omg that is fast. One of our tough tough 15 yr trainers barely ran one 5K here in under 25.

Mine was in July and I could only hit 31 flat with competition. Now with new running shoes I seriously think I could hit it 29 or 28.5.

I don't know how many of you run so much but we all have strong points. I can slow jog I like slow paced for a really long time for myself. Longest ever was 8 miles because I was all wound up. The next three days I was so sore. Not that I didn't workout the next few days it just hurt like hell.

Many of the people at our gym said they can't run due to knee issues and cramping. Two of brothers had knee surgery and eventually need replacements. They had this surgery in their early fifties and I just tripped the 49 mark so I am a bit paranoid about running too much. But love the cardio effect and calorie burning it yields.

So as alternate I sprints and walks and sprints and walks on treadmill and keep my lifting at higher faster reps and still sweat thru whole workout. Most others around me meander about take breaks flirt or bullshit. I stay focused and centered and try keep the heart rate up. I am trying to get a Crossfit interest going in January but nobody is interested. We all have our stubborn routines and we are comfortable in them. I am that way also but know the desire to break it up and change the attack on the muscles to make them grow and stay flexible and strong.

I am not lifting way heavy anymore or dealifts because I just don't want any injury at my age and it hurts my joints too much. My dropset routine really gets my muscles sore and I sleep like a baby at night now. Recently I filled out a large shirt and now may have to go back to XL and lots of pals noted how my chest shoulders and arms are filling out after my initial shrinkdown.

Hey Stego if you are reading this - a pal of mine swears if I put on too much muscle and am ever injured the muscle will turn to fat and I have huge man boobs. Do you believe this or ever heard of it?

What so many folks here don't realize is that just going to gym 3 days a week will change their lives forever and get them feeling better.

Right now at 49 I am in as good as and often in better shape than most of my friends in their 20's and 30's. Here the norm seems to be deep fried food, keg beer and endless cycle of stepping outside for a smoke or a toke.

The coolest thing is going into shop for 34 or 36 waist pants now instead of wishing they stocked more 46 inch or bigger sizes. I want to get to a 32 inch waist before I turn 50. Then get my pic taken standing in my old 48 inch jeans. That would mean I lost 33% of my waist size.

Chataya - Congratz on that run omg that is fast. One of our tough tough 15 yr trainers barely ran one 5K here in under 25.

Mine was in July and I could only hit 31 flat with competition. Now with new running shoes I seriously think I could hit it 29 or 28.5.

I don't know how many of you run so much but we all have strong points. I can slow jog I like slow paced for a really long time for myself. Longest ever was 8 miles because I was all wound up. The next three days I was so sore. Not that I didn't workout the next few days it just hurt like hell.

Many of the people at our gym said they can't run due to knee issues and cramping. Two of brothers had knee surgery and eventually need replacements. They had this surgery in their early fifties and I just tripped the 49 mark so I am a bit paranoid about running too much. But love the cardio effect and calorie burning it yields.

So as alternate I sprints and walks and sprints and walks on treadmill and keep my lifting at higher faster reps and still sweat thru whole workout. Most others around me meander about take breaks flirt or bullshit. I stay focused and centered and try keep the heart rate up. I am trying to get a Crossfit interest going in January but nobody is interested. We all have our stubborn routines and we are comfortable in them. I am that way also but know the desire to break it up and change the attack on the muscles to make them grow and stay flexible and strong.

I am not lifting way heavy anymore or dealifts because I just don't want any injury at my age and it hurts my joints too much. My dropset routine really gets my muscles sore and I sleep like a baby at night now. Recently I filled out a large shirt and now may have to go back to XL and lots of pals noted how my chest shoulders and arms are filling out after my initial shrinkdown.

Hey Stego if you are reading this - a pal of mine swears if I put on too much muscle and am ever injured the muscle will turn to fat and I have huge man boobs. Do you believe this or ever heard of it?

What so many folks here don't realize is that just going to gym 3 days a week will change their lives forever and get them feeling better.

Right now at 49 I am in as good as and often in better shape than most of my friends in their 20's and 30's. Here the norm seems to be deep fried food, keg beer and endless cycle of stepping outside for a smoke or a toke.

The coolest thing is going into shop for 34 or 36 waist pants now instead of wishing they stocked more 46 inch or bigger sizes. I want to get to a 32 inch waist before I turn 50. Then get my pic taken standing in my old 48 inch jeans. That would mean I lost 33% of my waist size.

All this is great. If i remember correctly, when we met IRL, you didn't look like you had a 48 inch waist.. but i'm a bad judge of that shit.

It's too bad you can't get a crossfit interest going, you have some OUTSTANDING gyms in the Denver area. Matt and Cheri Chan may be the coolest trainers in the world, and they run a great box.

Chats, that's really great! good for you! :cheers:

Frosty, sounds like you're doing good! I'm in a similar boat, trying to lift weights but without a spotter I don't want to hurt myself either! I just keep trying to change my routine a little so I don't get stuck on one thing. and I'm also running for the first time ever. its been an interesting challenge, but definitely getting me in way better shape. I just find it boring!

nipples? just cut 'em off. you're not using them. (sorry, couldn't resist. I have no idea what runner's nipple is and hope to never find out! lol)

My never heard of Runners Nipple but some my runner friends get dead toenail syndrome Their middle toe turns black and often falls off. I don't run that much so never had it either. Did have toe jam football once.

Peterbound - Yes recall that at Irish Snug. I think I was in a 42 then and hide it well. You are pretty stocky muscular wise and is what I am shooting for. I read several articles on Crossfit and like the idea being equally fit - not just a Runner or Power-lifter. I been converting some gym equipment to Crossfit ideas but need to set a routine circuit and try it. And repeat and compete vs my own time. If you have great trainers then your set. Some trainers over push clients imo and end up injured - clients not the trainers.

Jade - Yes hear ya on the running thing. Bbbbbboooorrriiinnnnggggg....... I used to just run half a mile warmup cos I hate Elliptical machines - but do to good pals pushing me I built up to 3 to 4 miles a day. Did that most of Summer and part of Fall until knees really said hell with you. Now have super nice Asics and back on track again. But I set goals and to end boredom can u watch tv while running?

I abhor tv in general cos it is brainwashing at the lowest level of human consumption. Voluntary brainwashing. Lucky our gym is situated I can watch others lift while running. Why is this lucky you ask? Because I can mimic or copy the best fit people and try some of their routines. I also use really kicking music to run to. You can't run well to Celine Dion or Elevator Music.

Also if you build up your distance you will swear somedays you can't even do it and then a half mile will pass and you think your done and then another half mile and pretty soon your at 2.5 and then you hit 4 and decide quit so you have energy to lift.

That is my main point here Jade. IF you do pre-cardio or after cardio - both camps of persuasion exist on this theory - be sure to save enough for lifting and ab routine. I like I said am doing the sprint and walk alternate because it is suppose to burn four times more calories than traditional running and cardio and is less boring and faster. I do this as a pre-workout blood kicker.

Then I am like get the hell out of my way people cause I hit the weights with the largest muscle group first working down to smaller groups. I do a little stretching and in between sets to. But not much rest between sets or machines. I have been starting at what I can rep out at about 8 to 10 reps. Then instead of adding weight I pull off small plates and keep my reps 10 to 12. And final set really light and hit 20 to 25 and I can feel the blood pump into that muscle group!

I been doing this about 3 months and I swear I added at least 5 lbs of muscle and got tons compliments. But I noticed doing abs at the end of the routine ruined ab routine so I now do an ab set in between torso sets so I balance my core workout energy levels with the others.

I back off on running or sprints on leg lifting days so have energy to hit legs. I am pushing thighs a bit higher than other things as my reverse leg press is plus 500 lb now. I was told by a trainer if you build your pecs and thighs up it will jack your system into overdrive and burn the hell out of fat. Well I will see. I don't generally use any energy drinks or NO Explode items cos they get me too hyper and dizzy. A very hard one mile run or 2 mile run suffices for me to b pumped for lifting.

Also its funny so many our gym just do cardio and don't lift a weight one. Weight training has tremendous benefits and it has been proven over and over. I suspect often these folks just interested in being thin but not toned. I want it all and will never quit until I get where I want to be physically and mentally.

Don't forget to get protein in you system within 45 minutes of a workout so you fill your muscles with protein to rebuild themselves. Muscle Milk Syntha and Gaspari proteins are all good products to use and have glutamine built into them for muscle recovery.

Sure food proteins are great but when your body needs recovery fuels fast - protein drinks deliver that quicker than any food group.

You won't be finding out firsthand, as you wear sports bras :) Runner's Nipple is a sore, cracked nipple caused by the abrasion of a shirt against the male nipple. (As we have solid sports bras guarding our sensitive bits there, no worries for us). It often causes bleeding, which is why you will sometimes see unprepared men on long training runs with bloody streaks down their shirts. Ouch.

It can happen to girls too!

Although in my case it was originally caused by something else and then only further aggravated by running.

Ah now I remember why I stopped sing this forum! It no longer works with Chrome and I hate opening IE just to post.

Gonna start lifting again after a long hiatus. Got the starting strength book, I'm just gonna do this program this time. No changes or modifications (as long as my shoulders can go back far enough for a back squat) except for some very light, very low distance running, minimalist style. I Figure I'll do this for a few months and see how it goes. Tomorrow is day one.

That is my main point here Jade. IF you do pre-cardio or after cardio - both camps of persuasion exist on this theory - be sure to save enough for lifting and ab routine. I like I said am doing the sprint and walk alternate because it is suppose to burn four times more calories than traditional running and cardio and is less boring and faster. I do this as a pre-workout blood kicker.

Don't forget to get protein in you system within 45 minutes of a workout so you fill your muscles with protein to rebuild themselves. Muscle Milk Syntha and Gaspari proteins are all good products to use and have glutamine built into them for muscle recovery.

I've seen people talk about when you "should" do cardio vs lifting. but for me, I have to do the cardio first. just because I'm at the gym within 45 minutes of waking up, and my balance is too off then. I need to do some cardio to wake myself up a little more! on those rare occasions I go to the gym in the afternoon, I switch it and do the lifting first.

I also can't eat that much protein in the early morning. I do drink a glass of milk before the gym, so hopefully that's enough!

Capoeirista13, welcome back to the program. good luck!

I use Chrome also and generallly don't have problems with this forum. but I've had that problem with other forums. sometimes I have to switch between 4 different browsers to get things to work right. total pain in the butt. I think its more problems with plug-ins and updates, and its always temporary.

Frosty,

Muscle can NOT turn into fat. Muscle cells are muscle and fat cells are fat. They dont magically turn from one into the other. Over time if you stop exercising you will lose muscle and if you dont cut back on intake, to compensate, you will gain fat, but its subraction and addition, not conversion.

Unless he means that having more muscle mass generally means a higher basal metabolic rate, in which case he's kind of correct. Building muscle helps you burn more calories, so (in general, and particularly if your diet's clean) you can lose fat at a faster rate.

Went to the gym / exercised for the first time in *cough* months today. Decided to stick with the elliptical my first time out, rather than jump right on the treadmill or the indoor track. Not as out of shape as I'd feared, though I'm going to have to push to get back into the swing of things. Tomorrow: lifting! I think as a treat I'll do deadlifts. :)

Muscle doesn't turn to fat and fat doesn't turn to muscle, just like skin does not turn to blood vessels or hair does not turn into organs.

You gain fat (basically) when you have an excess of sugars that aren't used by your body. If you stop working out (for any reason) you must reduce your caloric intake to retain the same body composition.

As far as 'man boobs,' you're likely talking about fat in the chest area. You gain this fat the same way you would gain any other fat, and you can't control where your body decides to collect it -- it's genetic.

As far as growing breast tissue, this can happen to a man when their hormones are fucked up. This will not happen no matter how much you work out or don't. No worries there.

Archived