More exercise and fitness.

a wooden chair

Strongman has lots of different moves, though I don't know enough about the sport to list them. They're generally a combination of picking things ups and moving things from place to place, often awkward and irregular weights.

Which is funny, since that is pretty much how I have had Crossfit defined to me before.

this is a video of Magnus Samuelsson - one of the WSM competitors -

It's a nice coincidence that y'all are talking about weights.

After a gap of nine years nursing leg injuries, I'm getting back into fencing again. Six weeks in and I can see a visible difference between my right and left side musculature - hand, arm and upper back - due to spending a significant amount of time and effort carting around a weight of less than 1lb at high velocity in my right hand only.

Question - is there a better way of even-ing myself out than, in the gym, doing more high weight reps with my left arm than my right? Is there anything else I should be doing - including doing several hours of 1lb reps with my left hand, or doing lifts with two-handed weights instead of one weight in each hand - or anything I should watch out for?

I've been lifting dumb-bells several times a week in the gym for a few years and have worked up to 8kg each hand - had some difficulty increasing beyond that: it's a plateau, I'll get over it. Now, I'm still having the same this-is-as-much-as-I-can-move feeling with that 8kg weight in my left hand/arm, but could probably shift to 9kg or 10kg with the right. But doing that right now would surely accentuate the differentiation.

Understand, It's not my arm strength/size difference I'm worried about - I'm concerned about putting my back out of alignment if I build it more on one side than the other.

After a gap of nine years nursing leg injuries, I'm getting back into fencing again. Six weeks in and I can see a visible difference between my right and left side musculature - hand, arm and upper back - due to spending a significant amount of time and effort carting around a weight of less than 1lb at high velocity in my right hand only.

Question - is there a better way of even-ing myself out than, in the gym, doing more high weight reps with my left arm than my right? Is there anything else I should be doing - including doing several hours of 1lb reps with my left hand, or doing lifts with two-handed weights instead of one weight in each hand - or anything I should watch out for?

I've been lifting dumb-bells several times a week in the gym for a few years and have worked up to 8kg each hand - had some difficulty increasing beyond that: it's a plateau, I'll get over it. Now, I'm still having the same this-is-as-much-as-I-can-move feeling with that 8kg weight in my left hand/arm, but could probably shift to 9kg or 10kg with the right. But doing that right now would surely accentuate the differentiation.

Understand, It's not my arm strength/size difference I'm worried about - I'm concerned about putting my back out of alignment if I build it more on one side than the other.

If it's your back you're worried about then squats and deadlifts will keep things nice and symmetrical all through your upper-body, core and down your legs. As for your dumbell work, try shifting to a higher weight for less reps, then slowly build back up to your current rep range. Then increase the weight and drop the reps, build it back up and so on.

Have you tried front squats?

Front squats hit the quads more than hammies.

Jade,

If you aren't feeling your hamstrings kick in during squats, then you may want to try pre-fatiguing them prior to squatting. Try adding a couple sets of high rep, low weight leg curls before you squat. Also, adding good mornings, reverse hypers, Romanian deadlifts, leg curls, and pull throughs to your routine will help activate those muscles as they become stronger.

When I looked it's about $800 for a 2.5 day session, but you can pay in installments. If I had kept up the training from February I'd be more excited, but I can start again now and get a good base in by the end of Feb.

Eight hundred dollars!? Christ, that's expensive. I personally wouldn't spend that much. Rippetoe's an excellent instructor, but you can get perfectly competent instruction for much less money and on a one-on-one basis as well. I don't think the difference between competent and excellent instruction is worth $800 for anyone less than a professional athlete where it might make the difference.

Provided you go to the same depth with both then yes. But I've generally found that it's easier to get much lower with front squats than back squats and so bring the glutes and hamstrings more into play.

Yeah that's sort of my thinking. I think it would be an excellent experience. I'm not sure I would get $800 worth out of it, even if it's Ripp himself. OTOH, it works out to $40/hr, which is probably less than I'd be paying any personal instructor. It's just a big chunk all at once. More than rent, etc.

Provided you go to the same depth with both then yes. But I've generally found that it's easier to get much lower with front squats than back squats and so bring the glutes and hamstrings more into play.

I've spent a lot of time working on going really low in my squats. and yes, I can feel it in my hamstrings when I'm sure to go low but I still feel it way MORE in my quads. and then I get so sore in the front and sides of my legs that stairs are difficult and I can't go back fro 2 or 3 days. meanwhile my hamstrings and butt just aren't getting the workout. so I'm not sure, then, if front squats are gonna help me much more. I can still give it a try and see.

Jade,

If you aren't feeling your hamstrings kick in during squats, then you may want to try pre-fatiguing them prior to squatting. Try adding a couple sets of high rep, low weight leg curls before you squat. Also, adding good mornings, reverse hypers, Romanian deadlifts, leg curls, and pull throughs to your routine will help activate those muscles as they become stronger.

also a good general idea. I am on that track I think with the nordic hamstring exercises. I just started doing those and the Bulgarian split squats (? sp?)~ both seem to (finally) get me feeling my backside. so I'll do those first and then try both kinds of squats after. I"ll also look up those others you mentioned, I don't know most of them!

thanks again for the ideas folks~

Jade - how far forward are you leaning in your squats? What happens if you use the same weight but really focus on pushing more through your heels in the lift part? Also, what kind of shoes are you using? I really feel it more in the hamstrings and rear end when I'm wearing flatter shoes.

If it's your back you're worried about then squats and deadlifts will keep things nice and symmetrical all through your upper-body, core and down your legs. As for your dumbell work, try shifting to a higher weight for less reps, then slowly build back up to your current rep range. Then increase the weight and drop the reps, build it back up and so on.

Thank you! I will give that a try.

Eight hundred dollars!? Christ, that's expensive. I personally wouldn't spend that much. Rippetoe's an excellent instructor, but you can get perfectly competent instruction for much less money and on a one-on-one basis as well. I don't think the difference between competent and excellent instruction is worth $800 for anyone less than a professional athlete where it might make the difference.

It's a damn fine certification for a trainer to have, though.

I've spent a lot of time working on going really low in my squats. and yes, I can feel it in my hamstrings when I'm sure to go low but I still feel it way MORE in my quads. and then I get so sore in the front and sides of my legs that stairs are difficult and I can't go back fro 2 or 3 days. meanwhile my hamstrings and butt just aren't getting the workout. so I'm not sure, then, if front squats are gonna help me much more. I can still give it a try and see.

Try to focus on staying back on your heels. Really try to focus and use the posterior chain in your legs (lot of muscles going on in the back of your legs). Depth typically is a mobility issue (at least with most of my clients). I usually have them start with a low shoulder position (better over the heels), stabilize the core (either with a deep breath or tightening up), and send the butt back. I tell people to think about closing their car door with a bag full of groceries.

So butt back, start to sit down into the squat. Keep the core tight and the chest high. Keep a good lumbar curve without jeopardizing the position. YOu want to avoid falling too far forward on your way down. While going down remember to KEEP YOUR KNEES OUT!!! Avoid at all costs your knees collapsing. Once you hit 90, start back up

Get a medicine ball and put it under you if you are having a hard time find the 'right' depth.

Aoife & Peterbound~ thanks for that advice. I'll have to pay attention the next few times I do squats and try and get a sense of how far forward or back I sit. I really do go really low as far as I can tell from feel and how it looks in the mirror. but I do have problems with generally walking on the balls of my feet~I think from wearing heels most days that I'm not riding. :-) so trying to force myself to sit on my heels without falling on my butt can be hard!

Aoife, until just recently I was wearing canvas Converse while at the gym, so those were pretty flat. but just last month I bought Saucony running shoes which have been really awesome for running (my ankles don't hurt at all like they were before when I tried to run) but probably not so great for weight lifting. my time there is limited, so I'm not sure what to do about that. expect maybe take them off and do it in my socks?

Stego, that's an interesting offer! It would be fun. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it this year but I'll let ya know if anything changes. thanks! :D

Jade - how far forward are you leaning in your squats? What happens if you use the same weight but really focus on pushing more through your heels in the lift part? Also, what kind of shoes are you using? I really feel it more in the hamstrings and rear end when I'm wearing flatter shoes.

This is exactly my experience. I can totally get the ham/glute workout when I am scrupulous about form and really focusing on being back on my heels. When I cheat even a little, all of that work is shifted to the quads.

this saturday i'm going back to rowing.

i'm starting at my first job tomorrow so i'm not sure how rowing will fit in my new schedule, but in theory it should so i'll give it a go.

in the last couple of months i've been running quite a bit so i'm not out of shape, but i expect a full-body soreness on sunday morning ;)

Archived