2011 NFL Regular Season - Thread 4

Bronn Stone

Yes critical; but interesting because many people think he is in dink dunk no long ball QB.

Many people are idiots. Including myself sometimes. But didn't he play in a system that utilized that and then was thrown to the wolves in SF and THEN seriously separated his throwing shoulder?

Many people are idiots. Including myself sometimes. But didn't he play in a system that utilized that and then was thrown to the wolves in SF and THEN seriously separated his throwing shoulder?

You ser are not an idiot but a keen observer of the gridiron.

I always thought Alex Smith got a raw deal

I wonder if Fox is going to stick with Ortan or change and go Tebow. They have a bye week to work everything out if he does switch.

No way to go back now, I think its Tebow to stay.

See how he does vs a team that prepares for him.

You ser are not an idiot but a keen observer of the gridiron.

I wouldn't say that, exactly. But I do try. And definitely Smith got a raw deal.

Before that draft, the local sports pages were all about Smith? Rodgers? After a while I realized "My god. They're trying to decide which is better; another Montana or another Elway. That's fucking stupid. Neither one is either!"*

After a while I just wanted the 49ers to draft the kid that kicked ass at Cal so that he'd have an extra year of good will from the home crowd before they caught up to reality. That didn't happen. But I was cool with it, because those were ridiculous expectations in the first place.

And then everything went badly for Alex.

* I stand by that stance until further notice. Though I ultimately could be proved wrong. It was still completely reasonable at the time.

Yeah, and Clifton's injury is very worrisome.

ETA: Does anyone else think that ten yards for holding is too harsh? Sometimes I wonder if it shouldn't be just five because of that old "you could call holding every play if you wanted to" adage.

I want to, but I can't.

It's one of those fouls you just can't remove by officiating; like say, a horse collar tackle. So the penalty HAS to be harsh when caught to discourage doing it. Because ultimately, without cyborg officials, the only way to eliminate holding consistently is to make it not worthwhile to do it.

HE was touched while he had possession, He had already established possession when the ball was knocked loose. PRIOR to that he was touched., Down by contact.

Is that the rule? He was touched as he was transferring the ball from hand to hand and fumbled. Isn't that a fumble? Not why they lost the game, but the ball was moving when he was touched so the touch actually could be considered to cause the fumble and it wasn't down by contact. Certainly not conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field. If the call was down by contact I would have been OK with that. But since the ball was moving when Branch was touched it should have been a fumble. But the Jets forgetting how to play Run D was the reason they lost.

Wow, 25 unanswered points for the pack. Not the prettiest of wins; at least the defense found a way to stop that Atlanta power running game. Looks like Clifton should be ok.

ETA - guess I was wrong, Clifton might be out for a few weeks

Is that the rule? He was touched as he was transferring the ball from hand to hand and fumbled. Isn't that a fumble? Not why they lost the game, but the ball was moving when he was touched so the touch actually could be considered to cause the fumble and it wasn't down by contact. Certainly not conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field. If the call was down by contact I would have been OK with that. But since the ball was moving when Branch was touched it should have been a fumble. But the Jets forgetting how to play Run D was the reason they lost.

He was touched with his knee on the ground and was still in possession of the ball. He was down.

A great team can win ugly. The Packers did just that tonight. Though Rodgers had another brilliant game. Which is being simply routine for him.

I'm still really concerned about the offensive line, which has been an issue for years now, the lack of a consistent pass rush, and tendency of the d-back field to give up big plays. Of course all those issues existed last year and they still won the SB.

Rodgers had a fairly okay game. This really illustrated both Rodger's awesome abilities and his limitations.

When he had time, he could zip it into windows that were just nuts. He has amazing accuracy.

HOWEVER when he didn't have time he looked lost. He had some atrocious pocket awareness at times. His lack of touch meant that a number of balls got dropped simply because he put too much mustard on them. I mean, Atlanta is a team that didn't have a single sack since playing Seattle, and they got two on back to back plays. That's not just a condemnation of Green Bay's line; the sacks were long duration, which tends to indicate an issue with the QB.

These are things that can improve, but it's why I'm not anointing the guy yet.

Funny stat line of the game...Rogers had a 117 QB rating...and it caused his season rating to actually drop.

Kal- watched the same game you did..and I think Rodgers looked pretty damn amazing. Granted I am a Packer guy, but he was 26-39 with at least 4 drops. Take into consideration that he was down 3 linemen and the Packers running game is average at best and I find little to criticize personally.

I will end this with the fact that I played FB when I was a football player and know next to nothing about being a QB, so if you were a QB coach or a former QB I will bow to your superior knowledge, but damn that guy is good!

Some things you should be looking at for evaluating Rodgers and the Packers tonight:

1 - red zone percentage. They scored 0 TDs in three red zone attempts. Against a fairly bad Atlanta defense (Seattle put 28 on them, after all). 4

2 - sacks. One reason that Rodgers was so 'accurate' is that he got sacked 4 times and didn't throw the ball away on those occasions. 26-39 looks a lot better than 26-43, but that second number is closer to accurate given that every time he got sacked that was also a dropback.

3 - 3rd down conversion rate and # of first downs. 19 total and 14 passing first downs means that there was a lot of wasted yardage in that 397 yards as far as conversion - things like getting 12 yards on 3rd and 15.

I'm willing to say that it was a good performance, but I also bet that it grades fairly meh via something like Football Outsiders.

Atlanta is really down from last year. Any theories?

The only one I've got is that they played way over their heads to get to 13-3 which got exposed in the playoff game.

Yeah, pretty much. With Matt Ryan this has been a very efficient team but rarely overpowering. They've also taken full advantage of one of the better homefield advantages outside of Seattle. But look at the roster, there really isn't an overwhelming amount of talent on it. How many guys scare you on the Falcons defense? John Abraham, anyone else?

And that's where I think Dimitroff and co. fucked up in April by trading away basically their whole draft for Julio Jones as though he was the final piece to a championship. He's a nice player, but this team is not so overwhelmingly talented that they can just pencil in a complement to Roddy White and expect to punch a ticket to Indianapolis in February... The only reason you make that bet is if you think Matt Ryan makes the leap to become among the elite QBs in the league but I think he's shown he's clearly not there. Think this team's going to struggle with its first place schedule all year.

JIM HARBAUGH. BUFFALO BILLS. ANDREW LUCK. DOUG BALDWIN.

WHAT'S YOUR DEAL?!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(my fantasy football teams are in the shitter, gotta find solace elsewhere)

First entry into this thread this season :ph34r:

Ok, last night I got to actually sit down and watch some Grid-Iron™ for the first time this season. Came into the Bills v Eagles game late and watched most of it. I saw quite a bit of the Pats v Jets, but went to bed when it was 17-14 to the Pats (cos it was getting very late), so I obviously missed a fair bit of late action there.

A question for you guys who watch this sport way more regularly than I do and are much more informed than I am about the game – are there more missed tackles this season than normal?

I don’t know if it was just the Eagles in particular, but in both games, I felt like there were a lot more missed tackles than I’m used to seeing in NFL. Again, as a relatively uninformed viewer, I’ve always felt that a missed tackle is something that really stands out in a game cos it’s so rare.

I’m not so much talking about ‘misses’ on the line of scrimmage, where a running back blows past a linebacker’s arm because the LB was deceived or blocked well enough that he never got into a good position to make the hit. More about guys getting round the edge and getting past covering LBs who could make the tackle, or beating safeties and corners in one-on-one situations. Usually, in a one-on-one, you expect the defensive back to make the tackle.

Am I jumping to a conclusion based on limited footage?

Or, if there are more missed tackles, any ideas why this might be? The short off-season? The CBA only allowing one full-contact training session a week? RBs having to have trained by themselves due to the lockout and gotten a lot more power and agility/quickness work under their belt in the off-season?

The Bengals have a winning record. That is all.

All? The 9ers are 3 games above .500. They put up 48. I'm afraid to pinch myself since it might mean I'd wake up. Or it means the end of the world.

Archived