Videogames 'R' Us

The Anti-Targ

Purely from a gameplay standpoint, probably not. I mean, it's a fun mission with some cool environments but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. No new equipment or augments or anything like that. On the other hand, if you're a bit more invested in the game's storyline you might want to pick it up to find out more about the main game's crazy ending. Overall, a good DLC but not so essential that it wouldn't be worth waiting for a steam sale to get it cheaper.

What kind of game, is it similar to. If you had to compare it in style, to another RPG?

Hmm, not sure really. The first obvious comparison is with the original Deus Ex and other FPS/RPG hybrids like System Shock. More recently it's drawn a few comparisons with Mass Effect 2 due to being an action RPG that makes heavy use of a cover mechanic. It's also got a major stealth element so throw in a few stealth games like the earlier Splinter Cell games or Metal Gear Solid. My gaming experience is particularly broad so I'm not really the best person to ask.

While waiting for the games I mentioned before to arrive from Amazon I've been replaying Dragon Age II. I've always liked it, I'm sure the original threads are still around somewhere and in them I trying to defend to the game against the extreme criticism it sometimes engendered, but replaying it now the biggest feeling I get is one of disappointment. It is a good game, I like the gameplay changes they made from Origins, I like the story, and I really like have a fully voiced main character, but it could have been a fantastic game if it wasn't so rushed. There's a sense of claustrophobia from how cramped and limited the environments are that I didn't notice the first time I played, there really isn't enough party interaction, and the game repeats environments far more then it should.

With this setting and characters I should love Dragon Age franchise as much as I do the Mass Effect one, and I really don't. I saw recently that Bioware's working on a Dragon Age III, and I really hope that they are taking the time to do it right this time; if it comes out any time in 2012 the result will almost certainly be extremely disappointing.

While waiting for the games I mentioned before to arrive from Amazon I've been replaying Dragon Age II. I've always liked it, I'm sure the original threads are still around somewhere and in them I trying to defend to the game against the extreme criticism it sometimes engendered, but replaying it now the biggest feeling I get is one of disappointment. It is a good game, I like the gameplay changes they made from Origins, I like the story, and I really like have a fully voiced main character, but it could have been a fantastic game if it wasn't so rushed. There's a sense of claustrophobia from how cramped and limited the environments are that I didn't notice the first time I played, there really isn't enough party interaction, and the game repeats environments far more then it should.

With this setting and characters I should love Dragon Age franchise as much as I do the Mass Effect one, and I really don't. I saw recently that Bioware's working on a Dragon Age III, and I really hope that they are taking the time to do it right this time; if it comes out any time in 2012 the result will almost certainly be extremely disappointing.

Dragon Age Origins, had been in development for 5 years at Bioware. That was before EA added them to their company. I have heard that it was EA who pushed to have a sequel come out so soon after the original. When you look at the shear amount of content from DAO, including its massive DLC, its like 2 or even 3 games. And you look at DAO2, and it is under whelming in scope.

DA2 feels like what it is: a game rushed out the door

It also feels like a game that had alot of good ideas on how to change and expand upon and fix issues with DAO. It just didn't have enough time to do that all properly.

DA2 feels like what it is: a game rushed out the door

It also feels like a game that had alot of good ideas on how to change and expand upon and fix issues with DAO. It just didn't have enough time to do that all properly.

:agree:

I haven't decided whether I'll give DAII a miss or not. I now have a PC capable of playing DAII, but DAII is rather consolified compared to DA:O. And I get the feeling my new PC won't be up to snuff if/when a DA III comes along. I don't think DAII sold well enough on PS3 that I'll be able to find it terribly easily used.

Oh well, too many games to play in the next few months to worry about DAII anyway. I'm enjoying inFamous 2, and if I hadn't played inFamous I'd be enjoying it a lot. Visually it's a massive leap in quality, but gameplay-wise it's very similar. That's fine because I enjoyed the inFamous gameplay but there's just something keeping me from being fully emersed in the game. Pretty sure when Uncharted 3 arrives next week I'll be jilting inFamous 2 until I've at least done my hard and crushing plays through of Uncharted 3.

Party game wise it looks like we're getting Just Dance 3 when it comes out in December, and probably Rocksmith mostly in the hopes that my son will actually get back into playing his guitar. Nothing like the allure of video game trophies to get a kid to do a bit of music practice by stealth.

I think also that the first time I played DAII I bull-rushed through it over 3 nights (did most of the sidequests though) and the rush job just didn't fully register with me then; this time it is. I am having fun though, playing as a warrior instead of a mage has definitely upped the difficulty, and I am curious to see what will be different if I start making different choices then the last time. The games I ordered from Amazon have showed up, but I think I'll keep DAII in the rotation with them and DMC4. I did have some time to play each for a few hours and I overall I like them but I am glad I didn't pay anything close to full price for any of them.

Battlefield Bad Company 2: Exactly what I expected, so no complaints here. I do like that environments seem a bit more destruction prone then in CoD, but the single player campaign definitely feels a bit less polished then CoD's usually are.

Crackdown: Didn't like it at first, went on the internet to figured out how exactly I'm supposed to be playing the game, went back to it, had a lot more fun. I've already killed 4 of the 21 gang leaders in a little over hour, so I figure this may be a significantly shorter game then I thought it was going to be. I like the voice-over narrator guy too, he's not nearly as good as the guy in Bastion but he's pretty good. Definitely less GTA and more mindless then I thought it was going to be. One annoying thing though is that the environment seems to be completely indestructible, I can't even knock over a barrier in the highway to try to drive in the opposite direction.

Red Faction Guerrilla: Not the game I thought it was going to be but it is fun. Although I'm worried if that will last, thus far it seems awfully repetitive: go to place, destroy it, kill EDF until I can get in a car, drive back to safehouse to eliminate wanted level, repeat. Also it seems like there should be more story then there is though; I've liberated the first area and moved onto the second and there's been no character or plot progression since the opening scenes. Greatly prefer Volition's other main franchise, Saints Row.

All in all, they're definitely worth the $34 total I paid since I'll definitely get plenty of hours of mindless entertainment from them but they're definitely not great games. (I know that isn't fair to Bad Company 2 since that's meant to be a multiplayer game but I don't do multiplayer, I can only judge the sp campaign)

Oh well, too many games to play in the next few months to worry about DAII anyway. I'm enjoying inFamous 2, and if I hadn't played inFamous I'd be enjoying it a lot. Visually it's a massive leap in quality, but gameplay-wise it's very similar. That's fine because I enjoyed the inFamous gameplay but there's just something keeping me from being fully emersed in the game.

It's Cole's redesign probably. That's what it was for me anyway. Not that they're bad changes either. The change of voice actor is especially jarring. The new guy has a better delivery than whoever did the first game, but it's too drastic of a change and takes a while to get used to it.

I'm still planning to get DA2 eventually. It's tempting now that it's down to $20. But I'll probably hold out a bit longer to see if they announce an Ultimate/GotY Edition. I've got enough to keep me busy for a long while anyway.

Skyrim is looking really tempting. But I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion, so it's probably best to skip it.

Skyrim is looking really tempting. But I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion, so it's probably best to skip it.

Morrowind I liked, for the sheer hugeness of the world and all the options inside of it. Oblivion I loathed because it seemed to take away all these things and become another ho-hum RPG.

I think Skyrim will be good, but not as good as people are expecting. Just wait a couple years for its to become a classic and have its expansions all tagged on for the low price of $20.

I was thinking of picking up Dark Souls this week, but I haven't played Demon Souls at all. Would I be missing out on anything if I played the sequel first?

No, you won't miss anything. Dark Souls isn't a true sequel. It's the same system, but transplanted into a new world and story.

But it's different enough that doesn't invalidate Demon's Souls either. It's still a great game that I would recommend getting. And it's cheap now. If you're on PS3, then I'd consider picking that up to see if you like it or not, before making the larger investment on Dark Souls.

Morrowind I liked, for the sheer hugeness of the world and all the options inside of it. Oblivion I loathed because it seemed to take away all these things and become another ho-hum RPG. I think Skyrim will be good, but not as good as people are expecting. Just wait a couple years for its to become a classic and have its expansions all tagged on for the low price of $20.

There's a fair chance that that's what I'll do. I put on ignore it at first. I've seen little previews at various places though, and was curious enough to watch a gameplay video yesterday. It's look fantastic. But that likely the PC version, and it won't come out quite as good on the PS3.

I'll probably keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks after release. See how well it's recieved. Find some PS3 gameplay videos. Maybe I'll put it on the Christmas list, if anyone feels like buying it.

I have never been a huge Elder Scrolls fan, but have had respect for the series. I think Skyrim though may be the first, of the series for me, that im looking forward to. Still not a day 1 purchase, but maybe after the holidays.

I think we talked about this, but my boss has bought a machine from iBuyPower, and on the strength of his recommendation I pointed someone here in their direction. To my knowledge, both are very happy with them.

Morrowind I liked, for the sheer hugeness of the world and all the options inside of it. Oblivion I loathed because it seemed to take away all these things and become another ho-hum RPG.

I think Skyrim will be good, but not as good as people are expecting. Just wait a couple years for its to become a classic and have its expansions all tagged on for the low price of $20.

I'm really looking forward to Skyrim. After the heart wrenching disappointment of DAII, I hope this game lives up to the hype.

I don't believe the lead designer of Morrowind or Oblivion did Skyrim. I think he moved over to BHG and is working on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I could be wrong about that, though.

I'm still planning to get DA2 eventually. It's tempting now that it's down to $20. But I'll probably hold out a bit longer to see if they announce an Ultimate/GotY Edition. I've got enough to keep me busy for a long while anyway.

They probably will announce an Ultimate Edition, but it won't be any time soon as they've only released two story DLC thus far.....well, three if you include Sebastian.

As for Skyrim, I cancelled my preorder and am going to sit it out and wait for the GOTY which will inevitably come.

Anyone here ever purchase a pc from ibuypower.com? Also, what sort of video card should i be lookin to invest in nowadays? Im really out of touch with pc gaming.

What's your Budget, and are you planning on adding a card to a new PC build or are you just adding a new Card to a PC you already have. I will give the most unbiased opinion i can. I personally have a Nvidia card which i love, but there great AMD Radeon cards as well.

Also if you could list the specs of your PC or the new PC your planning on buying, it would help in choosing a couple cards for to choose from.

right now im looking at spending a grand.

this is the cpu im looking at, with a few modifications, most importantly switching the videocard to a radeon hd 6870.

http://www.ibuypower..._D817/c/3067612

Im looking through your link and seeing what you chose, what im gonna do is, use my Computer store site, where i buy everything from and see if i can put together a comparable PC build, for the same price. I just wanna see, if i can match what you want, but maybe in some cases, with a better substitute. The one major thing from that site that jumper at me, was a lack of certain hard drives. So i wanna see what i can put together.

When im done i'll give you a list of all the specific parts and see what you think. And im gonna use $1000 as my cap.

Also Relic are in the U.S or over seas? Just wondering cus im in Canada and are dollar is on parity right now with the U.S.

Archived