NaNoWriMo 2011

Jaxom 1974

I am. No novelling last night as I was too busy working out a tricky bit of blocking, but I did dash off the end of a short story at a speed that reminded me how to do this stuff properly. Looking forward to knuckling down (once I've figured out how my lead unromantic pairing can walk into each other given what they had previously been doing and where).

Is there a word count minimum? I think I could be up for this, although it is likelier to be a novella than a full novel. Might be just what I need to get re-energized on writing again.

I am making my first NaNo attempt this year. One day down and nothing written though, still developing the story.

I'm using what I've been writing by hand for a while. I have no idea how many words have been written (I just know it's a long way from done), but I'm using the typing it all up aspect as a second draft proceedure and to clean up what I've got.

Yesterday was work on just the opening paragraph, but that's because I kept getting interupted...

Is there a word count minimum? I think I could be up for this, although it is likelier to be a novella than a full novel. Might be just what I need to get re-energized on writing again.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

All about the month...

I'd love to start one, but I'd much rather make some headway on some projects I've been off-and-on* working on for a while now.

*Mostly off.

Like Starkess, I'm working on something I've already started (in my case, something I started last NaNo as a distraction from what I was really doing back then), so you could just use the "excuse" of the month to give yourself a push in an existing project's direction.

Like Starkess, I'm working on something I've already started (in my case, something I started last NaNo as a distraction from what I was really doing back then), so you could just use the "excuse" of the month to give yourself a push in an existing project's direction.

Exactly. I'm absoblutely using something already started. Like I said though, I've taken to writing my stuff long hand, so the actual typing it into the computer has become a "second draft" sort of process for me. And also, the project is so very far from over that I don't consider it a dodge to use something already begun.

Only a handful more paragraphs last night, but I really cleaned up the opening paragraph (re-wrote it a couple more times last night). But I did work on some more background stuff too (I'm a worldbuilder, what can I say?). Mind you, if I don't get into gear, the whole idea of using NaNoWriMo as a second draft process might blow up in my face...

I'm still hashing out the story idea but at least I have a first sentence, right?

Is anyone else here incapable of writing well on computers? I feel much more at home with pen and paper, so I'll be getting off the computer and settling down on the couch soon.

Not a word just yet and I won't be able to start until tomorrow (evening work events). But I have a novella that I started and never finished that I think I'll take advantage of the month to complete. *crosses fingers*

I'm in, but I'm cheating. I got about 6k in on a new project before school started this year and had to stop because....well, teaching freshman sucks. So, I picked up where I left off and I'm chugging away!

Is anyone else here incapable of writing well on computers? I feel much more at home with pen and paper, so I'll be getting off the computer and settling down on the couch soon.

Yes. All my first drafts are handwritten. Like Jaxom, my first typed version is a second draft, and I've always found this extremely useful - anything I ever do that gets as far as a computer's hard drive has a built-in edit.

(The sole exception: I once wrote a decentish shortish thriller straight onto computer. Didn't need to do too much thinking on that project. :P)

600 words so far, all done on day 1, thanks to a rash of fatigue issues last night and today. I'm off work the rest of this week and all next week: MCGeek and I are going to Irish Discworld Con tomorrow, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done over the weekend, but anything's good, and I strongly suspect that as soon as I start writing it'll start flooding out.

My hand tends to cramp after prolonged use of pen and paper so I stick with typing (something to do with writing too hard), even if the internet is the bane of my writing.

Almost done with the Prologue. It's surprisingly not awful... I think.

Archived