Skyrim; Wielding Swords, and Banging Nords

Sivin

I have found the dragon priests quite difficult, as I play a stealthy thief who uses a bow.

My encounters with them also usually occur on top of bluffs or giant stairs, so it can be a bit hairy at times.

Love the game. Xbox is ok, but in the next year or so when I upgrade the PC I will mos def get the again, and max out my res and search for the good texture mods.

I seriously hope they consider developing ES VI online.

I also wonder what the DLC could be....I'm certainly not at the point of putting any other gaming time intop anything but the ES Series. This makes me want to get my glass armor set again in Morrowind....ahh good times...

Holy shit, Bethesda have really made $450 million from Skyrim already? :wideeyed: That's insane.

Anyone have any thoughts on what they might do with the next game in the series? I'm thinking a combination of Elseweyr and Blackmarsh. They've already done Cyrodiil, Morrowind and Skyrim, so those two provinces or maybe Summerset Isle are the best bets. Either that or they decide to revisit Hammerfell and Highrock from Daggerfall (since Daggerfall only contained parts of the two provinces, not all of them). But Elseweyr makes more sense as a title, is more alien and further-removed from the fantasy norm than the last two games and could be more interesting.

I strongly suspect we'll see Fallout 4 (set in New York?) first though.

I hope they do Blackmarsh next. That could be pretty interesting.

I'm not all that excited about Fallout 4, especially if they do New York. I'm sure they won't, but I think it would be pretty easy for them to just retread FO3 with just more bleak, gray wastelands, ruined cities, and radiation-filled sewers.

I would play Fall Out 4, esp if they maxxxed out the good/bad karma radar like in the KOTOR series.

I wish they did that in depth "choices create consequences" system in Sky, but hey I'm still 130hrs in and I am not that fussed...

This is another small gripe that I have for this game. In order to get a platinum trophy in the game you have to preform vile acts. Especially in the Daedric quests. That should be in the game if a person chooses to do those things, but to require it and then not give an equal benefit ratio for those to choose not to do these things is annoying to me.

I don't know how many hours I've spent but I'm level 27 and starting to lose interest. It's been fun but the quests are starting to feel repetitive. I've made a decent way into the main storyline but still I'm losing interest. I may just focus on the main story and try to finish that. The only thing that makes me want to do some side quests is the hope that one of the caves/dungeons will lead to a new shout.

yea, ima start delving into oblivion. twas 6 bucks on steam last week, couldnt resist

i find the initial allure has worn off

im about lvl 34, havnt been to the greybeards yet.

i try to fully explore an area before moving to the next.

so while im not frantically waiting for my work day to end to play it like i was a couple weeks ago

it still holds my interest

i havnt been interested in single player games for quite some time

but skyrim definitely works to ignite that interest. i can get past some of the monotony that occurs. its unrealistic to expect freshness every second of the game.

It feels like I've been playing forever and yet I still haven't begun the civil war quests, or even killed my first dragon. I'm having fun, but I feel that if I don't start focusing on the main quest I'll get tired of it all and stop playing.

I do enjoy the random encounters. Red Dead Redemption had some interesting ones, too, although they became repetitive pretty quickly. The other day I witnessed some Stormcloaks get killed by another group of soldiers, practically on the front doorstep of the Twilight Sepulcher. I hid so as not to attract the attention of either side. Afterwards, the victors left before I could see who they were. Might have been Imperials, but almost immediately a group of Thalmor arrived on the scene, so it might have been them instead. They told me they were on official business and to stand aside, which I did. Once they got a certain distance away, I pulled out my bow and put some arrows into them. I actually felt guilty about that. I'd killed Thalmor before, but they always started it because they didn't like my answers about religious freedom. This time there was no provocation; I'd murdered them in cold blood. I actually thought to myself that maybe I could arrange the bodies so it looked like they and the Stormcloaks killed each other. There were no witnesses, so no one would know, right? I justified it by creating a bit of backstory for my Bosmer, where his family had been harassed by the Thalmor and so he's kinda hostile towards them. Then I remember it's just a game and it doesn't matter.

So after using Marcurio for a long time, I suited up Lydia in some leftover Ebony equipment that I had and set off to raid a crypt where the Graybeards said there was a Word. Lydia performed well enough aside from knocking over everything in her path while we tried to be sneaky, but I was enjoying her company.

Well, the boss of the cavern (this was the one where you unlock the door with the two ceremonial weapons) knocked her down pretty quickly, as expected, but she held him long enough to let me put a few poisoned arrows in him. Well, apparently he had a mage friend (actually a Draugr Scourge) with some AoE spells... Long story short, Lydia died on our first excursion together! I won't reload because the fight was very tough, but I will, inspired by the story from up in the thread, lay her in state in the ghost's tomb.

So, I visited the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun recently because I heard that Eorlund Grey-mane's ashes could be found there and, surprise, surprise, I find Uthgard the Unbroken's coffin in there. Why do I find it surprising? Because she died in a dungeon really far from Whiterun. I found it rather touching.

Also, why are the coffins in Markath unnamed but Whiterun's are? Bug? And what happens to the corpses of people from small towns or farms? Do they get buried in a graveyard with no way of knowing which grave belongs to them?

So after using Marcurio for a long time, I suited up Lydia in some leftover Ebony equipment that I had and set off to raid a crypt where the Graybeards said there was a Word. Lydia performed well enough aside from knocking over everything in her path while we tried to be sneaky, but I was enjoying her company.

Well, the boss of the cavern (this was the one where you unlock the door with the two ceremonial weapons) knocked her down pretty quickly, as expected, but she held him long enough to let me put a few poisoned arrows in him. Well, apparently he had a mage friend (actually a Draugr Scourge) with some AoE spells... Long story short, Lydia died on our first excursion together! I won't reload because the fight was very tough, but I will, inspired by the story from up in the thread, lay her in state in the ghost's tomb.

Very similar for my passing from Lydia there. Unlike the first excursion though we'd been together for ages, must've gone up at least 20 levels with her as full time companion (bar the "you need to use person X" ones) and she goes in one hell of a battle. Had it not been such a grueling fight and I'd actually taken out the enemies as she went I would've taken the death and redone it but after such a battle and having taken out the last opposition between me and the exit I took the loss.. It's been difficult moving on,

especially as some buggers have pinched her corpse from the tomb where I laid her to rest, I might try the hall of the dead having seen the above. It was heart wrenching going back there to lay her to rest... I found myself bringing Faendal there and shooting him in the back out of spite in my rage :( At least it means young Camilla can be married without carrying on an affair with the pointy eared git.

Skyrim is described as being "incredible", but I'm not sure I'd go that far, simply because Skyrim hasn't offered much that you can't find in other games

Indeed, and in particular other games from the same studio. Skyrim is an evolutionary step up from Oblivion and Fallout 3, but not much more than that. In fact, it feels like it's fixed some of the more obvious problems from Oblivion (the screwed-up mechanics and the level scaling) but in a few areas is a regression. I'm disappointed not to have encountered a quest as bizarre and WTF?-inducing as the guy lost in the painting quest from Oblivion yet.

I've been following this for a few years because it's run by the creator of the best MMO ever, Dark Age of Camelot. But they've been very secretive about what they are working on.

That's an off-shoot studio. Since Zenimax can't do Fallout Online, thanks to Interplay's well-played exploitation of their contract, they'd be idiotic to not be at least considering an Elder Scrolls MMORPG.

I was level 70 when I wrapped everything up, but at least a week worth of gameplay leading to that felt more like work than play. It's a good game, but the emphasis is too heavily on dungeon raiding and too lightly on story. If they'd spent as much effort on the various questlines as they spent on making a random dungeon, unrelated to any mission and containing only a few trolls, look as pretty and detailed as possible it could have been a great game instead of merely good.

Bethesda and I seem to be drifting away from each other. The copy-pasted dungeons in Dragon Age 2 didn't stop me from enjoying that game, but the exhaustively detailed and numerous dungeons in Skyrim did start to wear on me. Different priorities I guess.

Archived