Skyrim; Wielding Swords, and Banging Nords

Sivin

finished the storyline for the civil war. i must say, overall it was disappointing and probably the most anti-climatic thing i've experienced so far in this game.

I marred Aela the Huntress. Three people showed up at our wedding, only one of whom I recognised right away (the dunmer from the Companions); she said I do then turned and walked out of the church without another word. "That's it?" doesn't begin to cover it.

Agghh, and I havent got this one yet. I borrowed Oblivion off a mate for a couple of months and loved it all, so getting Skyrim was a no-brainer.... only Im cheap and asked for someone to get it as an xmas gift. Still I did a cheeky borrow off my brother yesterday for an hour and was very very impressed with it. Its like they made Oblivion and then cranked it up to 11.

Im not going to weigh into the Bioware/Bethesda/whoever debate, but I'll add that i love the Baldurs Gate games, BG2 is probably my alltime fav PC game (and it does have the best ever story) and i love the KotOR series too. And yet I love Fallout3 and Oblivion, so im sitting firmly on the fence.

I marred Aela the Huntress. Three people showed up at our wedding, only one of whom I recognised right away (the dunmer from the Companions); she said I do then turned and walked out of the church without another word. "That's it?" doesn't begin to cover it.

haha yeah. I married some merchant girl in Whiterun. She was a little more into it and asked where we should live after the ceremony. Fargas (however you spell his name) has traveled with me all over skyrim and I wanted him as my best man. It was the day of my wedding and I was freaking out b/c I couldn't find him. It was getting late so I decided to just go to the wedding without him, but when I walked in the church who as sitting on the front row? Fargas. I must say being married serves no purpose whatsoever. All my wife does is say "Hello my love" or "Goodbye my love" when I walk in our house in Whiterun. I wonder how divorces work in Skyrim?

haha yeah. I married some merchant girl in Whiterun. She was a little more into it and asked where we should live after the ceremony. Fargas (however you spell his name) has traveled with me all over skyrim and I wanted him as my best man. It was the day of my wedding and I was freaking out b/c I couldn't find him. It was getting late so I decided to just go to the wedding without him, but when I walked in the church who as sitting on the front row? Fargas. I must say being married serves no purpose whatsoever. All my wife does is say "Hello my love" or "Goodbye my love" when I walk in our house in Whiterun. I wonder how divorces work in Skyrim?

They work by aggroing a giant while your spouse is following you, then riding for the sunset on your horse.

Bethesda's latest micropatch finally fixes the borked memory limitations. Now the game recognises when you have more than 2GB of RAM, which should prevent the PC version crashing every 3-4 hours once you fill up the 2GB.

It also prevents 'issues with accented characters not showing up properly at the end of a line', which is nice, I guess?

The thing is, if you're a werewolf you don't get the well rested bonus so "sleeping with your wife" doesn't do you any bonuses. You'll get the better quality food I guess still if you want, then there's the shop money. There's still a little use you get out of them but it depends how much time you spend there and roleplaying just how useful they are.

Wonderful game... finally installed it in my brand new laptop yesterday and played for a couple of hours.

However, I bought the game in Spain and it is entirely in Spanish :angry: It bloody sucks... I want to change the language of the game to English, and I don't know how to do it... does anyone know?

Kids neglected? You bethcha. Wife annoyed? Yup. Time wasted? Definitely. Having fun? Not sure. Christ, it takes a long time to actually get anywhere.

Three out of four for me. Not much of an idea what I'm doing yet but having fun.

Even though I'm pursuing a strict 'don't pick up shit I don't need/isn't worth an absolute fortune' policy, I'm still running into storage problems. So I bought my first house. Er, it's nice, I guess, though the cupboards are now overflowing with dragon scales and there's a plant-killing magical sword sitting next to my bed.

I also embarked on a strict 'clear out the quest log before taking on new ones' policy which also hasn't worked out, mainly due to the fact that now I've gotten random tossers running up to me as I'm minding my own business in the wilderness screaming "PLEASE DO THIS QUEST FOR ME" and I have no choice but to accept or feel like a knob ("No, sorry, I know you've braved dragon attacks to ask me to do this thing but I'm busy, sod off," isn't how I roll). It also doesn't help that I have several quests which I can only complete by walking halfway across the map to an unexplored location to talk to some random dude, knowing full well I'll probably bump into ten new locations and new quests along the way.

The game also has ridiculously easily-broken quests. I was on a mission to kill a bandit leader and the way the game wants you to do it is to circle the fort, realise you can't get in, consult with a gang of adventurers hanging out nearby and then find a secret tunnel into the base, clear it out, and then let the adventurers in. Of course, the way I did it was shoot down most of the bandits from afar with arrows and then make a flying leap from a nearby hill onto the walls, and then fight my way through from the wrong side, only meeting the adventurers once the job was done. The game is actually fairly flexible in accepting you doing quests before they are given to you (resulting in amusing exchanges along the lines of "You must brave the perilous dungeon of Gweldor to recover the Amulet of Superior Bladder Control," "Oh yeah, I've done that, here it is," "Really? Erm, okay, great, I guess,") but they don't seem to have considered this to be possible with this quest. So I had to walk back back and forth through the fort and throw the gate lever like four times before the game worked out I'd done the quest.

I need to equip Lydia better. She's getting knocked out way too easily at the moment.

Even though I'm pursuing a strict 'don't pick up shit I don't need/isn't worth an absolute fortune' policy, I'm still running into storage problems. So I bought my first house. Er, it's nice, I guess, though the cupboards are now overflowing with dragon scales and there's a plant-killing magical sword sitting next to my bed.

I also embarked on a strict 'clear out the quest log before taking on new ones' policy which also hasn't worked out, mainly due to the fact that now I've gotten random tossers running up to me as I'm minding my own business in the wilderness screaming "PLEASE DO THIS QUEST FOR ME" and I have no choice but to accept or feel like a knob ("No, sorry, I know you've braved dragon attacks to ask me to do this thing but I'm busy, sod off," isn't how I roll). It also doesn't help that I have several quests which I can only complete by walking halfway across the map to an unexplored location to talk to some random dude, knowing full well I'll probably bump into ten new locations and new quests along the way.

The game also has ridiculously easily-broken quests. I was on a mission to kill a bandit leader and the way the game wants you to do it is to circle the fort, realise you can't get in, consult with a gang of adventurers hanging out nearby and then find a secret tunnel into the base, clear it out, and then let the adventurers in. Of course, the way I did it was shoot down most of the bandits from afar with arrows and then make a flying leap from a nearby hill onto the walls, and then fight my way through from the wrong side, only meeting the adventurers once the job was done. The game is actually fairly flexible in accepting you doing quests before they are given to you (resulting in amusing exchanges along the lines of "You must brave the perilous dungeon of Gweldor to recover the Amulet of Superior Bladder Control," "Oh yeah, I've done that, here it is," "Really? Erm, okay, great, I guess,") but they don't seem to have considered this to be possible with this quest. So I had to walk back back and forth through the fort and throw the gate lever like four times before the game worked out I'd done the quest.

I need to equip Lydia better. She's getting knocked out way too easily at the moment.

Over christmas, i downloaded a mod to increase all of the merchants gold to 10,000. And there is a command that you can type into the game that incrase your carry weight, which i raised to 5,000.00pnds. Some may call this cheating, and i suppose it is, but i don't intend to trudge back and forth to every dungeon 2 or 3 times just to loot it properly. Now, it does mean that i'm sitting on like 200,000 gold with multiple properties purchased and upgraded...but i'm really playing the game to quest, not be a pack mule.

The thieves quest was very cool, by the by. Or, at least up to the point that i completed it. I won't say what the item is, but there is a cool item that you need to return to complete the entire quest, which considering the nature of said item, i am not returning until i no longer play the game.

If you lose an important NPC like your companion, go here and find their "Ref ID". Then you bring up the console and type: player.moveTo 12345678 where 12345678 is the Ref ID in question. That will plop you down next to that character regardless of where they are.

Also as far as money etc. goes: I've resorted to buying up all the arrows from a merchant (if they have any) just to give them gold, in order to be able to sell off all the loot I have. It's stupid, I know, but I don't really feel a desperate need for money. I have over 30,000 septims and I only ever loot things with great weight:value ratios plus end up doing the whole switcheroo at the merchants to make them afford all I've got. On the upside I have arrows falling out of my butt.

And I hear you, Wert. This game is murder for a completionist personality :(

I can't make any decent money in this game. The most I've ever had was 5k and that was gone once I bought the house in Whiterun but since then I can barely get it above 3k. None of the merchants I can find have anything more than say 500 and I need 25k for the house in Solititude. Damn shitty adventurer based economies!

Archived