Board People are Real People

JGP

I don't do threads like this, cause I haven't had the experience to really do threads like this.

In my twelve plus years on the board, I have met two boarders. Two, that's it. I'm going to talk a bit about the second the one, who happens to live in the same city as I do, hence our determination to meet up. Her board name is Salome Sand Witch.

I don't know how well any of you know her, or think you do. And I'm not trying to assert that I do, after one meet up. But. I spent almost 3 1/2 hours this Sunday past, drinking coffee and getting deep with Salome, and this woman impressed me. And I think a few of you know I'm not easy.

You know, we all kind of wander through life, most times just gathering acquaintances like business cards, sorted but ultimately forgotten. Until needed. But sometimes you meet people that just... care. You can feel it in them, or from them maybe, and sometimes it moves something in you.

Salome has a big laugh, a bigger soul-- and I am honored to call her my friend.

You are a wonder, lady.

Salome has a big laugh, a bigger soul-- and I am honored to call her my friend.

You are a wonder, lady.

Well done AA for stepping out, it is scary meeting a stranger someone you sort-of-know though the internets.

In a fortnight, I meet the London BWB, am so apprehensive. :unsure:

PS. SSW rocks!

What has Salome done to J!

I don't know - but I blame you! :P

Don't let him fool you people - he's only saying this because I accidentally made it sound like I invited him to a strip club on our first meeting. :rofl: Yup - I do that with strangers I meet over the interweb, 'cuz that's how I roll.

I think this makes one thing clear. I should be nominated for fl00b of the year. (I would never expect to win, but perhaps I could be in the running for Ms. Congeniality!)

Oh, and, don't let him fool you, 'cuz he's a pretty awesome dude in real life. Who knew? ;)

:blushing: Ok - honestly, I can not believe you wrote this, J. I came to the board for a quick check-in, had to leave twice and come back 'cuz my brain almost exploded. Humbled, honoured and grateful doesn't even begin to describe it. :grouphug:

I hadn't met up with a boarder in years until i met S. John in Indonesia last month. My previous interactions with John were mostly bullshitting in chat back in the day and a few exchanges on the board proper, mostly about nothing of any consequence. We spent about 10 days in three different locations (from scootin thru Bali rain or shine to chillin on a beach at night in the Gilis watching the milky way shine over the warm surf) because John turned out to be an awesome travel buddy. Intelligent, self reliant, easy going, and full of information he was an absolute pleasure to explore new places with.

Out of all the people i haven't met yet J, you, dub and coco are on my "why the fuck haven't we chilled yet??" list.

Well done AA for stepping out, it is scary meeting a stranger someone you sort-of-know though the internets.

In a fortnight, I meet the London BWB, am so apprehensive. :unsure:

PS. SSW rocks!

The London BWB is great. I wish I could meet them again!

As some of you have known, the meeting between me and The Wolf Maid was pretty serendipitous. Now, it feels like I'm her boyfriend sometimes.

Lighting Lord is the Board's only man in Seoul (that we know of) and he's pretty great, too. I would love to meet the Aussies. I only met one of them and he bit me. /looks at Ski The Swift :cheers:

I have only met boarders in "real life" twice.

When the American Name Society convention was in Philadelphia a few years ago I had dinner in a restaurant with TrackerNeil, Yagathai, and a woman who I think doesn't post much anymore.

Then I attended a "Con" in Kansas City where a larger group of boarders gathered because GRRM himself was present. Interestingly, it was harder to feel like I really knew people in that venue even though it lasted much longer than just the one dinner in Philadelphia. And it seems that most of the people I really talked to at that Con either aren't posting much any more or have changed their board names without my realizing it. There was one young woman living in the UK (Needle, I think) who I was really impressed by.

It's interesting that having a positive "outside interaction" does change my perception of being on the board itself. I think I have more positive feelings about TrackerNeil and Yagathai's posts, even when I disagree with them , just from having met them in person at that dinner.

I'm not a real person. I'm a well designed Turing compliant AI who has hired an actor to play my persona at varrious BWB related events. Just an FYI.

Partially right - hobbits aren't real people.

Meeting folks from the board is a blast - congrats on you two meeting up. very much looking forward to Boskone & Chicago next year (if we can find suitable sitting arrangements for our spawn)

Archived