The First Book You Ever Read?

Lord of the Night

Really young, I had and read a large collection of the Little Golden Books, I had various other of that type.

I know I read the Hobbit fairly young, but that's because my Paternal Grandmother and my Father were fairly big into Tolkiens books (our first Dog as I was a kid was named "Gandalf", I also remember for a short while thinking the Character was named after the Dog). I can't really remember the exact first "book" I read but I'm fairly sure it's either Charlottes Web or The Hobbit.

-edited because I'm not fully awake-

I still remember when I saw HP and the order of Phoenix(the first serious book I read). I was 7 and then I realized that reading books is much better than watching a movie. My first serious( more than 300 pages) english read was actually ADWD. Normally I wait for them to be published in romanian but I couldn't wait 5 months.

I was 7 and then I realized that reading books is much better than watching a movie.

Mmm, seconded. I barely have the patience for visual media any more: it's just not a satisfying enough sensory or emotional experience. ("What? You mean I can't speed up the film when something exciting is happening or slow it down for pretty stuff? You mean film action scenes are that short??")

I was an early reader, too, but it was the late 50's so i was kept to childrens books. I remember a Sam pig series, then by 6 or 7 was all horse and dog books. I think I read Little women when i was 7 or 8, then Gone with the wind. both parents, dad especially, were big readers, so there were always books around. I think I joined the Library in my pram!!

I have no recollection of what the first book I ever read on my own was. It would have been one of my picture books. Probably one that had previously been read to me by parents and then one day I probably just took off with it on my own.

But as we began transitioning over to chapter books I got a bit stubborn about reading them on my own. My parents started off by reading them aloud to me and I liked that so much I didn't see any reason to sit by myself and try to read them alone. So I resisted. But one night my mom started reading "Ramona the Pest" by Beverly Cleary to me and after the first chapter she stopped and she told me if I wanted to find out what happened in the rest of the book I'd have to read and find out myself. And I did. So I'll say that is the first chaptered book I read.

Wow, I just finished reading Ramona the Pest to my kids about two weeks ago.

The first book I can absolutely say I remember reading by myself was probably a children's library version of Kidnapped by Stevenson or possibly Tom Sawyer. I obviously read quite a few books before this point but I dont recall anyof them.

Terra

and some very old, according to the dictionary!!

pram dictionary.gif "baby carriage," 1884, shortening of perambulator, perhaps influenced by pram "flat-bottomed boat" (1540s), from O.N. pramr, from Balto-Slavic (cf. Pol. pram "boat," Rus. poromu "ferryboat"). mine looked like this one: http://iantiqueonline.ning.com/photo/vintage-silvercresl-pram-with heartening to see its an antique, while I'm still in my prime

The earliest book I remember reading was Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I remember visits to the library much earlier than that and I read Greek mythology stuff and pretty much anything else I could get my hands on. Not sure why I dont remember any specifics before the Judy Blume books though.

The only pram I am aware of is a small boat. This is probably not what you are talking about though. Is that like a stroller?

Even the most casual Monty Python fan ought to recognize "pushing the pram alot." :cool4:

Archived