The First Book You Ever Read?

Lord of the Night

At age 7 I started reading books with "no pictures" and translated books, meaning some names and stuff were in a different language since I got access to the school library and could roam it freely. I remember reading Enid Blyton and Walter Farley's "Black Stallion" series, which apparently were meant for kids 10 and above (who sets these ratings anyway?).

In hindsight, I wonder if the teachers sometimes didn't mind me "accidentally" skipping classes, which happened a few times. They always knew where to find me (in the library). At age 11 I had devoured most of the school library and was reading books on weather phenomenas, mythology and potted plants (yes, really).

The first real book I ever read would be The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. But the book that got me reading on a regular basis was The White Wolf by David Gemmel. This was when I was 19. I went on to study English Literature :D

First book without pictures I think is White Fang by Jack London when I was 7. I always was rather smug and impressed with myself till I read that Windmill at the top of the page debuted with Moby Dick.

Then went on to LOTR,Narnia, Enid Blyton and Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks.

loved White Fang when i was around 8. Still do, but that was when I first read it. I can't count how many times I read that, or books like Call of the Wild or Hatchet. Good stuff. always had a ton of books, that was one of the things my parents never seemed to mind buying.

I know I read some Beverly Cleary books about Ralph the mouse when I was six. Don't have any idea what my first book was but that is as far back as I remember. I read White Fang in third grade and thought it was awesome. Read it again later and I am guessing that some of it was a bit over my head in third grade. Although my mom found an old basic standards test from third grade and I tested at a Post-High-School reading level. I think I peaked in third grade.

Pippi Longstocking. At the age of 5.

It was pretty much the only age-appropriate match of me and a book. ;) I got to roam my parents' bookshelves freely and read tons of stuff way 'too early' (it wasn't too early for me; if I didn't like a book I put it down again, so what I read obviously was appropriate for my age, sex and violence nonewtihstanding :P ).

I've got a very clear memory of making mom read this russian book about shorties in a flower city to me all the freakin time! (Приключения Незнайки и его друзей) and then I read my first word ever when 4, ...so must of read the book all by myself when was 5

It was cute, and had pictures every few pages (just lil illustrations on top of page or crawling up the margin)

and second-close after that comes Karlsson on the Roof . Its from the same writer as Pippi Longstocking, tho I've yet to meet anyone that actually read this. The book was hardcover, falling apart, had pictures from the cartoon and I still quote certain lines to this day!... hell, the thing from it about making a tower with a meatball on top comes up Every Single Time we cook meatballs :cool4:

first book in English tho.. no idea... most likely Jack London something ...

I've got a very clear memory of making mom read this russian book about shorties in a flower city to me all the freakin time! (Приключения Незнайки и его друзей) and then I read my first word ever when 4, ...so must of read the book all by myself when was 5

It was cute, and had pictures every few pages (just lil illustrations on top of page or crawling up the margin

lol, me too, except it was the one where he goes to the moon. I was set in my tastes early.

lol, me too, except it was the one where he goes to the moon. I was set in my tastes early.

ooooh, I love the moon one!!! Bought it with my own money when was 9 (seriously, it was huge event for me! especially since the currency was becoming more and more worthless by the day) My version had the BEST colorful pictures ... and... as an adult I totally see all the parodies of the West ... and donkey "idiot" island from Pinocchio ... dammit, why did I hafta grow up and learn reality

I'm sure I read other, more appropriate books earlier, but the first one I actually recall making a concerted effort to read was a pulp novel called "Angel in Spurs." Yes, it was every bit as bad as it sounds, but to a young ToL it was sore exciting! The heaving bosoms alone were enough to widen my eyes and make me think, "Hold the phone! There's something going on here!"

After that, I clearly recall the Arabian Nights. The jewels as large as rocs' eggs, the caliph with his nightly reprieve of Scherazade, the golden bird that sang so beautifully, the horror of the hot oil being poured into the jars that hid the 40 thieves - I still daydream occasionally about some scene or other.

and second-close after that comes Karlsson on the Roof . Its from the same writer as Pippi Longstocking, tho I've yet to meet anyone that actually read this.

:cheers:

That and the sequel. Though apparently there is also a third which I've not read...

My favourite Lingdren was always the Bullerby Children though.

:cheers:

That and the sequel. Though apparently there is also a third which I've not read...

Yawp, the third book has an uncle come visit, and Karlsson opens up "fairy tale world" to him or something....

When I was 9 I picked up Charlotte's Web. One day my father saw me reading it and took it away and handed me Plato's Symposium. It set the tone for the rest of my life.

Was this a good thing for you? Because in my mind, it kinda sucks.

I've got a very clear memory of making mom read this russian book about shorties in a flower city to me all the freakin time! (Приключения Незнайки и его друзей)

I read that too!

and second-close after that comes Karlsson on the Roof .

And I adored this! I remember that we loaned the book from friends who were good at obtaining "deficit" books (which almost all good ones were), as my parents weren't, and I devoured it.

Also, Муми-тролль books (The Moomins) were great favourites of mine. Say what you want about the old USSR, but we got some fabulous translations of Scandinavian children's literature, which is in itself stellar.

Archived