Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

I actually think for once when a manager comes out and says he didn't see it I think Dalglish might have actually been telling the truth because he looked surprised to be asked about it to me.

Yeah I agree. The look on Dalglish's face said "you got to be fucking kidding me".

Come on, Dalglish has that constant look of surprise on his face, since he returned to the game. 'Who, my team?! Nu-uh!' It's like he's been pulled out of frozen carbonite and all his senses are screwed...

They've just had serious restructuring. How much money are the owners willing to put in?

they didn't have a serious restructuring.

what they did have was a shopping spree, where they bought whomever they could, but still failed to setup a proper team.

for example, it is ridiculous to have 3 forwards and go into the season expecting something. just look at man city - they had aguero, dzeko, balotelli and tevez at the start of the season, with adebayor out on loan (now there is no tevez, but they brought in pizarro, if i'm not mistaken). and liverpool transfer total in 2011 is at least of the same level as man city's.

24M - suarez

35M - carroll

20M - henderson

19M - downing

10M - adam

5M - enrique

? - bellamy (i have no idea how much his transfer cost, he may have even been a free signing)

please, correct me if my figures are wrong, but if they're not that's 100+M pounds spent with almost no success to show for it. i doubt playing in the league cup finals is the kind of success the owners had in mind when they authorized this much spending.

As far as I'm concerned, the only signing under Dalglish that hasn't been useless/caused trouble has been Bellamy.

Not a sentence you could write often in Bellamy's career, is it? :P Surely the ultimate condemnation of Suarez - next to him, Bellamy looks like a model employee!

That is an embarrassing comment from a so called Liverpool 'fan'. Strikes me as someone who 'follows' the club rather than support.

This is something I find outright insulting, you've got black long term season ticket holders refusing to go to games because of the abuse they're surrounded by in the Kop since this fiasco started, you've got ex-Liverpool players receiving some serious crap because they're saying racism is wrong and you still think people who are ashamed of it all aren't true fans? From what we've seen of some very vocal Liverpool fans is that this has been a huge, huge embarrassment with the club and that people really do believe that things need to change?

If my club were becoming a bastion of racism in football I'd want it all changed as soon as possible and I can assure you, I'd not be celebrating the idiots who caused this decline.

I'm not 100% convinced with Enrique. He looks good going forward quite often, but he seems hesitant and lightweight when defending.

Yeah I've got disagree with you there, he struggled with Valencia at the weekend but that's the only time I can recall him looking anything less than solid defensively.

Rangers aren't actually in administration, they've just made preparatory steps toward it.

I'm no Rangers fan, but this is actually a very sad day for Scottish football. Scottish football needs Rangers, just as it needs Celtic and it needs a healthy Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. The comments by Peter Lawwell to the contrary are frankly delusional and silly. Every club benefits from a strong league. And if he is still clinging to the belief that for Celtic, that league could be the English Premier League (you could take his comments to be hinting in that direction) -even after over a decade of the notion being rejected time and again by everyone in football not based at Celtic Park - he's even more delusional.

'Moving into', I said. Surely filing the papers is a step in that direction? And I completely disagree with the rest of your post, as well. A strong team like Rangers (they're not going to go away) down in the lower leagues would be a cash boost for every club they have to face, and for those 'Gers that can't take it, they can always fill-up seats at Tynecastle or wherever they choose to go next. Basically, splitting the power of Rangers, allowing the other clubs to grow.

It's been done to death elsewhere, but I think even if Rangers go out of business, you'll see a new club formed in their own image (oh dear) back in the SPL in no time.

Also, in the news, heard a rumour about this earlier in the week. Hooper for Wales? Outside chance of it happening, I suppose. Big blow for any future England manager, though!

Archived