Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

A strong team like Rangers (they're not going to go away) down in the lower leagues would be a cash boost for every club they have to face.

Except that there's no way that Rangers can ever be relegated. The SPL has a contract with Sky & ESPN that says there must be four Old Firm derbies per season so no matter what happens to Rangers they will always be in the SPL.

Except that there's no way that Rangers can ever be relegated. The SPL has a contract with Sky & ESPN that says there must be four Old Firm derbies per season so no matter what happens to Rangers they will always be in the SPL.

But if Rangers go bust and no longer exist, that obviously can't happen.

I'm not sure. There's been rumours of the clubs having a vote to directly allow a new Rangers FC to remain in the SPL, thus keeping such agreements, but I'm not sure if such a vote would be passed. The TV deal really doesn't offer that much to the Scottish game, anyway.

It's an interesting one. The country does need reorganisation, I just hope this proves to be the catalyst for change.

I cannot believe Huddersfield have sacked Lee Clark. Apparently, it was for losing the last 3 games...oh yeah, cause losing 3 games in 55 is a real sign of an incompetent manager. :rolleyes:

Anyway, will actually watch a CL match later for a change. AC Milan-Arsenal sounds like a good game. I expect the Gunners to progress.

the success of Spurs (still shocked that Redknapp has done this)

Same here. I thought that they would struggle to finish fifth this season and until a couple of months ago I expected the wheels to fall off sometime before now but they've kept it up.

Well that didn't even approach being a contest. Probably the best I've seen Milan play for a while but the strength of English teams in general and Arsenal in particular have certainly declined from a few years ago

Milan were very good, I've seen them play much less inspired in several Serie A games, but they were really strong here. The indicator to this performance was how well they stood up to Barcelona in the group stage. Still, I expected a lot of flair from Arsenal, Milan normally seems more static to me than Arsenal, but really, there's a huge difference here, Arsenal totally outclassed.

Which leaves the English fate in the hands of a miserable Chelsea side, saddled with a never-scoring striker and a group of dull midfielders and defenders.

In other news, injury woes for United once again. Valencia came on 15 minutes from the end and picked up an injury that will sideline him for the next 4 weeks at least. Sigh.

Archived