Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

Mormont

You're being obtuse in your interpretation of Ferguson's "had his chance".

Well, sorry if you think so, and it may not be what you meant: but it does come across as a somewhat dismissive characterisation of Ferguson's history. And there's just no way to sensibly discuss Fergie's present or future without taking that history into consideration, because it is so remarkable.

Well, no, the football is not pretty good, even considering circumstances. And two points off the lead, that's a bit of luck as well isn't it, what with City suddenly getting into a bit of slump recently.

I remain baffled by your dissatisfaction with the actual football played, but that's your right. As to the City slump, possibly fair, but in terms of the actual points accrued, I think it's hard to argue that Man U's deficiencies are simply being concealed by Man City's.

Really? I think you're applying different standards to United than for the other big teams.

Look at Chelsea. Look at Arsenal. Look at Liverpool. All of them in big trouble and this is being conceeded by and large by the fans and critics. Is United really much better off? I for one certainly don't think so. In direct match-ups we struggle and are constanly a hair away from defeat. We don't beat smaller teams with any conviction, no more than these above mentioned teams do. Arsenal and Chelsea are through in the CL, we're not. And all you can put against that is that we have scraped a few more points in the league. One good run from Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool for a few games and they could be level, the way United has been playing this year.

We haven't 'scraped' a few more points. We're twelve points clear of the nearest one of those teams at the halfway point, we took six points of Arsenal this season and four off Chelsea; Liverpool are the only ones of them still capable of finishing with a positive record over us this season and we drew with them at their gaff. We've scored at least four goals five times this season and won by at least a three-goal margin seven times, as opposed to twice and four times for Chelsea, three and four times for Arsenal and no times and once for Liverpool, which is a big part of the reason why our goal difference is 20 better than the nearest one of them. We are by no definition of the word scraping our way to being above them.

Yeah, the European thing is annoying. And again I point out that last time that happened, Fergie followed it up by delivering the most successful European period in the club's history. And you say 'if this carries on' but 'this' is six months.

Of course, is United starts to show serious,structural improvement than I am happy for Ferguson to stay on.

What would need to happen for you to think that's the case?

And two points off the lead, that's a bit of luck as well isn't it, what with City suddenly getting into a bit of slump recently.

Why is it that for United it's a serious internal problem but for when City do it it's lucky for us and a bit of a slump? Their poor form is largely down to their overreliance on Yaya and Silva, so when one went on holiday and the other got tired, they look short of drive and creativity. Their squad is as flawed as ours, just a bit more glamorous.

A lot of tension in the Liverpool vs Spurs game, very little in the way of good football. Hardly any chances. It got a bit better when Suarez came on, and Liverpool looked more likely to score than Spurs. Still, Bale could have taken 3 points there at the end.

Liverpool toothless again.

Sounds like both teams were playing a little cautiously. Liverpool used Kuyt and and Kelly to neutralize Bale, and Adam sitting deep with Spearing to neutralize Modric and any attacking interplay. Spurs crowded out Bellamy early on and packed their midfield with less attacking players.

Conflicting reports on Andy Carroll - some saying he was more involved and dangerous, which would be an encouraging trend, others saying he still doesn't look like contributing anything.

We need to be much more potent in attack. We can't get behind a prepared defence and we generally don't transition quickly enough to catch the defence before they are prepared. We need to work on both. We really need to improve the quality of our crossing.

Somehow we need to improve our attacking potency, whether this season or next. It might be ok in the cups but you cannot do well in the league with a lot of 0-0 draws. We can't continue like this for very long.

Did you see the attendance? It was 17,822 at bloody Ibrox, a stadium whose capacity is about 50,000. :o This is comparable with the poor attendances from the self-styled "Best fans in the world" at Celtic Park at the end of Tony Mowbray's reign and the beginning of Neil Lennon's. The irony is that Rangers are struggling for money, so their loyal fans deprive them of funds by not attending matches.

I've said at the start of the last couple of seasons that Rangers' current difficulties must eventually catch up with them and they'll stop winning things. It seems that time may have come, but I won't completely right them off just yet.

Reckon the low attendance was simply down to it being a cup fixture. They'll be boosted in the next game. Previous attendance against Dundee United was 45,600. It's certainly a fixture fans want to see.

I think the club are doing well reliably taking in 40k+ supporters for every home game, despite their troubles. Assuming the figures are correct.

Saying that, we've pulled in bigger crowds for every game, bar the one against Dunfermline. And even despite the club's poor form in Europe and the odd timing of some of our fixtures, we managed to pull in respectable enough figures. Fully expext those numbers to go up, as the club continues to progress.

Anyway, actually looking forward to playing Dundee United in our next cup match. It's away from home, yet again, so won't be easy. But we'll be hard to beat.

Does Tevez still count as being in the EPL?

i must say i like what man city is doing with tevez.

they have enough money to easily pay his wages and are using that to make a statement that being an asshole to the club will not be tolerated.

tevez was an asshole, no doubt about it - whining about city of manchester, wanting to go to argentina to be with his kids, which he is entitled to but then he shouldn't have signed for man city.

and to top it all off, he refuses to play, refuses to apologize to the manager, teammates, club and fans, thinks he deserves to be sold for less money than the contract says...

i hope man city board and owners force him to play out his contract, for man city's reserve side.

that should give him plenty of time to think about his actions, and some other players might take the hint

Conflicting reports on Andy Carroll - some saying he was more involved and dangerous, which would be an encouraging trend, others saying he still doesn't look like contributing anything.

carroll was involved, but ultimately he wasn't really dangerous.

he was more noticed for his reactions to ref's decisions than for his play.

i don't know if he's always been telling ref to f*** off and i've just noticed it now, or if it's a new thing. what i do know is that i'd like to see yellow cards for that kind of behaviour. refs should be given more respect, even when players disagree with their decisions. ESPECIALLY when players disagree with their decisions!

carroll was involved, but ultimately he wasn't really dangerous.

he was more noticed for his reactions to ref's decisions than for his play.

i don't know if he's always been telling ref to f*** off and i've just noticed it now, or if it's a new thing. what i do know is that i'd like to see yellow cards for that kind of behaviour. refs should be given more respect, even when players disagree with their decisions. ESPECIALLY when players disagree with their decisions!

the service for carroll was complete shit as always. and when he did get some knockdowns there was no one around him.

as for telling a ref to fuck off, well that can't be tolerated and i don't understand how ref's can allow players to talk to them like that. maybe it's different in England, but in the U.S. if you say anything like that to a ref or umpire your ass is tossed out of the game.

Unbelievable! Have I hugely underestimated the fallout over the position he took on Terry? I don't live in the feedback loop of the English media so it seemed like an inconsequential situation. It sounded like he complained about premature interference in his squad selection, which is a reasonable complaint that we would expect from any international manager even if no-one condones Terry's continued existence.

How did that jump to a resignation just a few months ahead of a major tournament?

Clearly the writing was on the wall for a change after the Euros, but why now?

ETA - once again I can't help thinking that professional sports is just the male equivalent of soap operas.

Good news for England, one would have to say. Unless it turns out they find someone who will do worse with the team.

But certainly the FA did not fight Capello's decision when he handed in his resignation.

So, an English manager this time around, and if so, who?

It's interesting to me that Louis van Gaal could be a candidate here. His management position with Ajax just fell through and he's always said he wants to manage another big country on a European or World Cup. No idea if he's actually being considered of course, but I imagine there'll be quite a few big name managers interested in this job.

It's interesting to me that Louis van Gaal could be a candidate here. His management position with Ajax just fell through and he's always said he wants to manage another big country on a European or World Cup. No idea if he's actually being considered of course, but I imagine there'll be quite a few big name managers interested in this job.

About the only non-British manager I can see getting the job is Mourinho. The media is way too influential in terms of the England job and they're banging the 'must not be foreign' drum hard at the moment, but they do love their Special One.

It's almost certainly going to be Redknapp though, unless he says he won't start till the end of the season and the FA deem that unacceptable.

Archived