Football #24 -- Now sponsored by Sports Direct

Xray the Enforcer

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call Suarez unhinged, but he was extremely emotionally brittle out there today. You could tell by his actions and body language that he was one wind-up away from getting himself another long ban for taking a swing at someone.

He should have just shaken Evra's hand at the start and got on with it but to be fair the one time he really lost it (the Ferdinand tackle at the end of the first half) I don't think his complaints were entirely without merit. I think if that's a situation were the ref wouldn't have had to give a red as well he probably gets the freekick.

@ljkeane Yeah, after a foul he'd probably get a pass. But during the second half he just did not have his shit together. He reminded me of Rooney on those days when you know Rooney is going to get sent off for kicking someone's nuts.

Also, Spurs. I did not expect that score line so early in the match. Then again, I also watched that infamous 4-4 draw with Arsenal.

Liverpool were god-awful. I had a bit of a scare with Ferdinand in the first minute, his fall/collision with Evra looked worse than it apparently was.

I'd focus on the therapist. Suarez is clearly unhinged.

I'm a liverpool fan and I've watched Suarez for awhile now. I think his problem is he's a bit mental. He's a great player but my god he's crazy. I have a gut feeling he's off in the summer and who could blame him?

Thierry Henry knows how to leave in style :bowdown:

Yeah that was great for him! A true legend.

And I suppose the unbolded part paints a picture of perfect sanity?

i haven't seen him "trying to decapitate evra" so i can't comment on it.

as far as shooting the ball into man utd bench, i saw him kick the ball right after the half-time whistle, didn't see it was directed into opponent's bench. i put that to him being pissed off after ferdinand got away with that foul from behind on him (ferdinand may have even been the last man utd player, but i'm not sure about that)

What a nice round number :D Tottenham has really brought such joy into our lives this season :)

As for Liverpool, I can't believe what dissappointment they have been. I was never their supporter, but I liked them. Recently, though, they've been playing really inferior football, not something you'd expect from a team of their reputation. Also, they should get rid of Suarez while they still have some dignity left.

i put that to him being pissed off after ferdinand got away with that foul from behind on him (ferdinand may have even been the last man utd player, but i'm not sure about that)

He was the last man but he won the ball.

Irrelevant really though, whether or not Suarez was hard done by, it's not the right reaction.

Chelsea gave a great performance against Everton, really typical of their season, absent minded and insipid looking.

Tense game between Man U and Liverpool, 3 points were deserved I thought. I expect Liverpool will not be keen at all to get rid of Suarez btw, he is pretty much their only good forward and a rare source of creativity within the team. I don't really mind that he didn't shake Evra's hand, clearly he wasn't done with it yet and wanted to be petty and let's be honest, Patrice Evra was happy to return that petty behaviour himself.

Great game by Spurs as well. What can you say, they are the most attractive team to watch this year and would be a worthy champion. But they probably won't make it.

He was the last man but he won the ball.

yeah, he did win it, but by fouling suarez ;)

as far as liverpool is concerned, their performance yesterday was weak.

they had two shots on goal in the second half, one being suarez's goal which was 100% a result of rio's fumble, and the other being johnson's shot from afar which i thought was going over the bar anyway. one weak match would be no problem, but they often play that way. i thought that was because suarez was absent from the squad, but it seems it's more than that. downing and carroll turned out to be the waste of money, henderson was much overpaid judging from what i've seen of him this season, the only ones that justified their price tags were adam, enrique and bellamy and that's mostly because their price tags were smaller to begin with. suarez was not as good this season as he was last season, but that was to be expected with everything going on.

bottom line is - liverpool squad needs serious restructuring.

The whole situation has left me embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan.

I can't see any way for Liverpool to salvage its reputation other than to sell Suarez and sack Dalglish.

That is an embarrassing comment from a so called Liverpool 'fan'. Strikes me as someone who 'follows' the club rather than support.

Lets put things into perspective here. Luis Suarez refused to shake hands with a guy who in his opinion, lied or at least exacerbated what was said between the two. Suarez' reputation has been completely and utterly tarnished whilst Evra has come out smelling of roses as the victim.

Alex Ferguson comes out and brandishes Suarez a disgrace, and says Liverpool should sell him because he refused to shake hands. You can't make this stuff up! What about Rio Ferdinand? Is he a disgrace too? And this comes from a manager who staunchly defended a player who karate kicked an opposition fan in the stands. What does that say about him?

This whole situation has been blown wildly out of proportion from a club and media, intent on continuing a witch-hunt against Luis Suarez. How the hell does Evra get away with his petty and vindictive behaviour whilst Suarez is called upon to leave the club and the country for refusing to shake hands! Wayne Bridge didn't get the same treatment and the FA should have known better than to let the handshake go ahead anyway.

It amazes me the person talking the most sense was Wayne Rooney of all people!

This whole situation has been blown wildly out of proportion from a club and media, intent on continuing a witch-hunt against Luis Suarez. How the hell does Evra get away with his petty and vindictive behaviour whilst Suarez is called upon to leave the club and the country for refusing to shake hands!

Well one of them was found guilty of racially abusing the other.

i haven't seen him "trying to decapitate evra" so i can't comment on it.

as far as shooting the ball into man utd bench, i saw him kick the ball right after the half-time whistle, didn't see it was directed into opponent's bench. i put that to him being pissed off after ferdinand got away with that foul from behind on him (ferdinand may have even been the last man utd player, but i'm not sure about that)

Perhaps Mourinho was right to poke Villanove in the eye because he was pissed off that Barcelona-players made dives?

"Decapitate" was hyperbole on my part. He did try to cannon it into Evra from two/three meters.

Even if Ferdinand had fouled Suarez just before halftime (which he didn't), that reaction is still stupid and pointless. All it does is antagonise the crowd even more. Perhaps he thrives on that antagonism. I've seen him do stupid things before, at Ajax. Sometimes he just seems to want to keep animosity going.

bottom line is - liverpool squad needs serious restructuring.

Amen.

They've just had serious restructuring. How much money are the owners willing to put in?

If they're willing to pay 30 million pounds for the likes of Carroll, money is not the issue. It's lack of vision. The money-well will dry up sometime. You want to have teams in your youth-department that can grow into the first squad.

Alex Ferguson comes out and brandishes Suarez a disgrace, and says Liverpool should sell him because he refused to shake hands. You can't make this stuff up! What about Rio Ferdinand? Is he a disgrace too? And this comes from a manager who staunchly defended a player who karate kicked an opposition fan in the stands. What does that say about him?

That his principles are ruled by his "them-against-us" mentality.

This whole situation has been blown wildly out of proportion from a club and media, intent on continuing a witch-hunt against Luis Suarez. How the hell does Evra get away with his petty and vindictive behaviour whilst Suarez is called upon to leave the club and the country for refusing to shake hands! Wayne Bridge didn't get the same treatment and the FA should have known better than to let the handshake go ahead anyway.

I don't know how much media-attention this incident was generating before the match, but I don't doubt the constant coverage has an effect.

It amazes me the person talking the most sense was Wayne Rooney of all people!

Surely you jest?

That is an embarrassing comment from a so called Liverpool 'fan'. Strikes me as someone who 'follows' the club rather than support.

No, I think that comment was pretty reasonable, and that it is your attitude that's embarrassing. True supporters surely want their club, and its players, to behave with dignity. No matter what you think of the original incident, in refusing the handshake Suarez was showing petty arrogance rather than dignity - placing the best interests of his club beneath his own momentary satisfaction at doling out a snub to someone he dislikes. It was cheap, it was graceless, and it was (apparently) in contradiction to what he'd told his manager he would do.

If you think that a true fan should endorse this sort of disrespect to the club, you've got a funny notion of 'support'. To a true supporter, no player is bigger than the club and no player should conduct themselves as if they were. That's something Suarez needs to learn, and (if you take out the obvious opportunism of his comments) that's the sentiment that Ferguson meant to express, I believe. Suarez has been shown incredible loyalty (beyond the point of common sense, IMO) by his manager, and yet he's still carrying on as if this is all about him.

Yeah, in all honesty I don't really care that much about Suarez not shaking Evra's hand. Yes it was childish and he should have done the more diplomatic thing and shaken his hand to try and put an end to the all media attention to the issue but it's not exactly a shock to find out that Suarez and Evra might not like each other. What I do care about is that based on Dalglish's previous statements he's obviously agreed with the club that he was going to do it and then backed out at the last minute and after the club and Dalglish have supported him throughout the whole issue, perhaps more than was advisable, that doesn't look great.

I actually think for once when a manager comes out and says he didn't see it I think Dalglish might have actually been telling the truth because he looked surprised to be asked about it to me.

I actually think for once when a manager comes out and says he didn't see it I think Dalglish might have actually been telling the truth because he looked surprised to be asked about it to me.

Yeah I agree. The look on Dalglish's face said "you got to be fucking kidding me".

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/luis-suarez-i-m-sorry

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has today issued the following apology:

"I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong.

"I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened.

"I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions.

"I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

Now we can stop talking about this. :D

Archived