Mya Stone

It's actually become mind boggling to me that people won't accept that this guy is great.

It's just "prisoner of the moment" reaction. Anyone that thinks one game outweighs 182 over the course of a decade, or even 18 over the course of a year, is absoutely crazy.

I can think of one team (Packers) that wouldn't rather have Brady for next year than who they have.

So I was browsing through my FB news feed...and I was kind of shocked to see some Brady hatred still going on. I don't get it anymore.

It is possible to acknowledge that Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time and still hate him every single day and hope that he miserably fails while still wishing that he was my team's QB instead. As a Jets fan I sure do. That uniform is important and as long as he wears it I will never like him.

If in a few years Belichick thinks Brady has lost too many steps and trades to him off to the NFC, then I'll start to feel different. But as long as he's a Pat I'll hate him. (In a football sense only)

It is possible to acknowledge that Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time and still hate him every single day and hope that he miserably fails while still wishing that he was my team's QB instead. As a Jets fan I sure do. That uniform is important and as long as he wears it I will never like him.

If in a few years Belichick thinks Brady has lost too many steps and trades to him off to the NFC, then I'll start to feel different. But as long as he's a Pat I'll hate him. (In a football sense only)

No I get that. He's a rival so you can dislike him, but see the comment I quoted from someone's FB. It doesn't make any sense.

No I get that. He's a rival so you can dislike him, but see the comment I quoted from someone's FB. It doesn't make any sense.

No it doesn't. Just pointing that while plenty of Brady-haters are idiots, there are those of us who hate him for legitimate reasons. Though I guess it is more of a hate-respect situation.

My issue with Brady has been and will continue to be this silly ass cult of personality, ditto for Belichick. Admire a team not any one man, well maybe except for the Colts they pretty much proved they were a one man team, no offense Colts fans.

My issue with Brady has been and will continue to be this silly ass cult of personality, ditto for Belichick. Admire a team not any one man, well maybe except for the Colts they pretty much proved they were a one man team, no offense Colts fans.

You'll have to explain to me how Brady has a cult of personality. I'm honestly confused.

You'll have to explain to me how Brady has a cult of personality. I'm honestly confused.

Oh come on. The guy is a celebrity even to those who don't follow football. The whole dumping Bridget Moynahan for Giselle thing was all over the tabloids. He's a People/OK! Magazine staple. Then you have all the ESPN Elite QB fellators. Handsome star QB, married to a billionaire supermodel, jet set lifestyle, etc, etc. The guy gets more pub than some movie stars.

Oh come on. The guy is a celebrity even to those who don't follow football. The whole dumping Bridget Moynahan for Giselle thing was all over the tabloids. He's a People/OK! Magazine staple. Then you have all the ESPN Elite QB fellators. Handsome star QB, married to a billionaire supermodel, jet set lifestyle, etc, etc. The guy gets more pub than some movie stars.

That means he gets a lot of press. How strange that a handsome successful quarterback for a marquee NFL franchise with a supermodel wife would get so much attention!

When I hear "cult of personality" I envision a group of yes-men dominating an organization on his behalf, and that's not the case.

Also, he dumped Bridget Moynahan because she pulled the goalie on him.

Heh. :D

To me, "cult of personality" simple denotes hero worship. I think it's safe to say that he has his fair share of slobbering fanboys and/or fangirls.

Well, fine, I guess it was the word choice that got me. If people bitch about Brady getting too much attention, whatever -- he's honestly a little too Hollywood for a lot of Pats fans. "Cult of personality" makes it seem evil, like some kind of Chairman Mao shit.

Heh. :D

To me, "cult of personality" simple denotes hero worship. I think it's safe to say that he has his fair share of slobbering fanboys and/or fangirls.

You could say that about any number of athletes, actors, or even...*gasp*...writers! (See GRRM at a con if you don't believe me.) To me it chalks up to a lot of jealousy really, because Im jealous as fuck that my team's QB isn't that good.

Anyone who claims Brady isn't one of the all-time greats is an idiot. Plain and simple.

I can't stand the guy or his team. My loathing goes back to rooting for St. Louis in 2001 against my roommates who rooted for the Patriots because "we were attacked on 9/11 and the Patriots stand for USA! USA! USA! USA! Take that terrorists! The football team with red, white, and blue colors are in the Super Bowl because America Rules!"

But even I can recognize how good the guy has been.

Niners?

Whoa...

While I have and will defend Alex Smith in discussions about Peyton Manning, there is no way I wouldn't want Brady on this team. His skill-set. Only has to slightly glance over his shoulder to see his prime. Grew up in San Mateo. Idolized Joe Montana.

I can't think of anyone else who would look more perfect in crimson and gold. (Aaron Rodgers would be the runner up.)

You could say that about any number of athletes, actors, or even...*gasp*...writers! (See GRRM at a con if you don't believe me.) To me it chalks up to a lot of jealousy really, because Im jealous as fuck that my team's QB isn't that good.

Pretty much, yup. I believe that most schadenfreude is rooted in jealousy.

Well, fine, I guess it was the word choice that got me. If people bitch about Brady getting too much attention, whatever -- he's honestly a little too Hollywood for a lot of Pats fans.

Honestly Brady's a little too Hollywood for this board too. Dude, we get it, you live in a palatial estate in exotic Australia. Some of the boarders here have never been outside of Jersey, ok?

Yes, please! As I mentioned earlier, ideally I'd like Meachem in free agency and Floyd in the draft, with Knox, Hester and Sanzenbacher behind them. But I'd also be happy with just one big guy, a Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, or especially Dwayne Bowe and then Williams/Knox, Hester Bennet and Sanzenbacher.

Fixed that, though Earl's already been mentioned. Devin shouldn't be doing anything other than catching punts and kick offs, no matter what he's being paid. Line him up in the slot every now and then to make the defense wonder, but that's about it.

I don't know if they'd pair well, but I'd prefer to go after Bowe and Wayne. Use the FA money on the receivers and use those first 4 picks in the first three rounds on O-Linemen and maybe a defensive end who can compliment Peppers on the other side.

The offense is just missing one key piece at WR and it can be a top 10-unit, and if the defense plays close to the level it's played the last two seasons, why wouldn't the Bears have as much a shot as any other team? The window is definitely closing for Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillmann, but with the window is opening for the offense. The next two seasons both windows will still be open, and barring more catastrophic injuries, I don't see how they fail to make a run at the playoffs. And as the Giants have shown twice in four years, once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

See, here's another disconnect, Possum. Even I don't disagree that, when healthy, the Bears are on the verge of being a top offense. But if they're going to be that, they need more than just "one key piece at WR". They need at least 2 WRs and they could use a better play making TE. Let's not forget that the O-Line is also in need of probably 2 more pieces at least, though one of those would be the return of a healthy Carimi.

But the real thing missing from their being an elite offensive squad is the depth. We all agree that, regardless of how you or I feel about Lovie, that the team's lack of depth and development is what deep sixed this season once Jay went down?

It isn't enough to say, "let's get Bowe or Meachum or Wayne and draft a WR and we're good to go!". If no moves are taken to shore up the depth and Jay goes down again, or Forte, or Carimi can't go, or Garza or anyone of rest of the mid-range at best O-Line goes down, it doesn't matter where the team is at if there no one there to pick up the standard and keep them moving forward.

Archived