Football #25

Renasko

Does anyone on here have a fantasy premier league team? Is there a forum league? If there isn't then maybe we could get one started if people were interested. It's a bit late now to do one for this season (although it's still possible) but maybe for next season?

there is a forum league.

you can find the thread on that in forum games.

Liverpool playing a 4-6-0 formation again. I wonder why we have trouble scoring?

Kenny Dalglish is useless.

Has he borrowed Craig Levein's copy of Bad Tactics to use in Football Matches by Steve McLaren and gone straight to the bookmarked 4-6-0 chapter?

Has he borrowed Craig Levein's copy of Bad Tactics to use in Football Matches by Steve McLaren and gone straight to the bookmarked 4-6-0 chapter?

Harsh:

Steve McLaren's league record in 2012 with Twente: P6 W 5 D 0 L 1 F 22 A 7

King Kenny's league record in 2012 with Liverpool: P8 W 1 D 2 L 5 F 6 A 11

Liverpool playing a 4-6-0 formation again. I wonder why we have trouble scoring?

Kenny Dalglish is useless.

Who would have thought Dalglish would have a hard time motivating the players? His tactics are average at best but I would have thought the one thing he could do would be to light a fire under their ass. We haven't lost 3 PL games in a row since 2003, we have 1 win in 2012, and we have a very realistic chance of finishing 10th. As much as I respect Kenny, he has to go.

Liverpool played relatively well against some of the top teams, particularly the Manchester bunch. Yet with some of the lower ranking teams, they seem to choke or take it too easy or something. The finishing is god awful, and they seem to have many players that don't match the play style. The new signings aren't working particularly well either.

We can't cross for shit, lack creativity and couldn't score a goal to save our lives. Things aren't working out well, but we've seen glimpse of "something" when it did somehow work. We need to find consistency, and sacking Kenny isn't gonna help. It will bring more turmoil, restructuring by new coach etc etc. And then that will take another damn season with absolutely zero guarantee of any improvement.

Without Suarez, we'd be a solid mid-table side these days, and not much more.

Seems to me you are a solid mid-table side these days...

You can't really blame Kenny for Downing though. His willingness to actually do stuff at Villa was the anomaly, the rest of his career he's been very prone to what he does at 'Pool.

He does look totally out of his depth though. Even more so than Hodgson in some ways, because while Hodgson failed miserably at man management, transfers and public perception through the media, there was at least the semblance of a tactical plan. Not one suited to a squad like Liverpool, which caused problems, but Kenny's failing miserably at all three of those and appears to have no clue what to do with his players either.

BW's team were all over us there, until that very stupid elbow from Neilson on Samaras.

11 vs. 10 now. Mackail-Smith taken off, as well. Ascendancy should now switch to our team. Although, I still reckon we should hook an attacker...Neil was crazy putting out so many forwards today.

I think the Kenny Dalglish debate could really divide the fan base. As some pundits pointed out last year, it was similar to Newcastle appointing Shearer -- at some point it had to be done just it get it out of our system.

Kenny delivered that new-manager bounce last season and everything looked rosy. But we sold and dropped Meireles and Maxi (two big contributors to our purple patch), we downgraded our midfield in a terrible way (Adam and Henderson plus the injury to Lucas), Caroll never got better, we saw the downside of a mercurial Suarez and older stalwarts like Gerrard, Carragher and Kuyt started to wane.

I have very little confidence for next season. Our defense looks very good, probably mostly due to Steve Clarke (and some bravery from Dalglish to finally phase out Carragher) and Lucas will return to provide an excellent shield in midfield. But our attacking options look terrible and we have already spent an appalling amount of money. We're basically left hoping that Carroll and Henderson will develop as they age and that Downing will rediscover his AV form when he feels more settled.

I actually would not at all object to AVB. I also like the idea of Brendan Rogers or the Owen Coyle from last season just for the style of play they bring, but it is so uncertain that they could do that at a larger club.

A big problem is that we are so gutless. Newcastle, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland (under MO'N) and Spurs could all teach us a lot about the courage to actually play.

Dark days for Liverpool, even if we take home two cups this season.

So we're top of the league after City lose to Swansea... :laugh:

Is it just me, or do City look really tired now? I mean I know they've had a good run - won four games in a row without conceding after their poor January - but they seem to be struggling to get Toure and Silva in it.

Mind you, it's got to be said, for all the money they've spent, their strength in depth isn't good at all. I mean Stefan Savic is a ludicrously bad defender for a side trying to win a title.

On Dalgish: can you really say someone who has managed Liverpool to the double and won titles with two different clubs, albeit a while ago, is 'out of his depth' in the Premier League? Yeah, you can say the game has moved on and he might be out of touch (and at the time of his appointment, I did) but that's something entirely different. In terms of whether Dalglish has the ability to cope with management at the top level, surely that's not a serious debate.

There are valid criticisms to be made of his record at Liverpool this time around, and they've been listed - he overestimated the worth of some players, he bought players that have a hard time fitting into how the team plays, and while he's shown that tactically he has a plan B (and sometimes C) he's strangely reluctant to deploy them. Clearly he needs a rethink. But I'm firmly of the opinion that these are not signs of him being 'out of his depth' - they'd surely have surfaced just the same if he were managing a smaller club.

On Dalgish: can you really say someone who has managed Liverpool to the double and won titles with two different clubs, albeit a while ago, is 'out of his depth' in the Premier League? Yeah, you can say the game has moved on and he might be out of touch (and at the time of his appointment, I did) but that's something entirely different. In terms of whether Dalglish has the ability to cope with management at the top level, surely that's not a serious debate.

There are valid criticisms to be made of his record at Liverpool this time around, and they've been listed - he overestimated the worth of some players, he bought players that have a hard time fitting into how the team plays, and while he's shown that tactically he has a plan B (and sometimes C) he's strangely reluctant to deploy them. Clearly he needs a rethink. But I'm firmly of the opinion that these are not signs of him being 'out of his depth' - they'd surely have surfaced just the same if he were managing a smaller club.

Given the transfers, tactics, our inability to score, using players in wrong positions, and bringing on subs with 10 minutes to go then yes I believe Kenny is out of his depth. We have a very good chance of finishing anywhere between 7th and 10th this season. I love the man and everything he represents, but we can't let our hearts cloud our judgement. He steadied the ship and come the end of this season I think he needs to stand down.

Mind you, it's got to be said, for all the money they've spent, their strength in depth isn't good at all. I mean Stefan Savic is a ludicrously bad defender for a side trying to win a title.

i'd rather say johnny evans is a "a ludicrously bad defender for a side trying to win a title"

considering that city have kompany, richards, lescott, zabaleta, clichy, toure and kolarov in their defense, i wouldn't say they lack defenders.

savic is not that bad at all. he is a kid who came to the big league from the league where he didn't even have to try to win the games. i have no doubt that, unless something goes terribly wrong, he will make you eat those words in a season or two. remember that even vidic spent better part of his first season in man utd sitting on the bench, and hasn't really shined when given the chance to play, and look at him now. keep in mind that savic is 19 or 20, and that he came directly from serbian league, which is apalling.

as for man city's lack of depth, i'll just say:

midfield - toure, silva, nasri, johnson, milner, barry, de jong

forwards - aguero, dzeko, balotelli, tevez (who should be thrown to the reserve side for the remainder of his contract)

hell, they are that well set with forwards they could send adebayor on loan and not even feel it.

i don't like them either, but i don't think there is a single squad in the premiership that has that much depth.

Archived