GRRM on Season 3

Westeros

The title autumn storms would be fitting well for the episode in which balon falls off the bridge. But IIRC, that happens after the RW, so it's not very likely -_-

Actually, I think that Robb and Cat find out about it on their way to the twins. So considering the amount of time for news to spread it could well be a part of episode 7. As I just said in another thread, I think the episode titles will refer to an overall theme rather than more than one event. Personally I think that the main feauture of episode 7 will be Queenscrown.

Autumn storms: the storm that hits Queenstower where Bran and Jon almost meet, which Arya also sees from High Heart? Which would make sense chronologically if that's episode 7 and the RW is 9/10.

Those saying S4 might be a little sparse: surely that would be a good thing? It would provide us with the lowest pages to cover per episode that the series might ever see, and thus the most depth. Plus the wall stuff is incredible, PW....

I don't mind them shuffling a little of Feast/Dance into S4, BUT I would be gutted if it didn't end with Tyrion's escape. Fantastic end to the book.

I think we'll get a bit of AFFC/ADWD in season 4.

I think Bran's journey through the haunted forest will be in season 4, as it's frustrating enough that he gets cut off in the books. TV viewers are less patient. So maybe have the end of his arc in season 4 be him reaching the cave with the COTF.

And also the ironborn stuff, ending with the Kingsmoot. It never really made sense to me that that stuff was in AFFC. Balon dies like halfway through SOS, why does it takes months for Aeron to find out?

Oh, they will. Count on the show to take advantage of Oberyn's bisexuality. I wouldn't put it past the show to depict him in a foursome with Ellaria Sand, a blonde female whore, and a male whore.

With Ros included. :ack: If she survives, Roz will have had encounters with half the movers and shakers of Westeros; having made a good start with Theon, Tyrion, and Pycelle; so the prince would be another notch on her belt as she would be on his.

I think epp 7 and its rains would simply show Jons escape, bran at the lake tower, rob making decision about the hair, arya kidnapped by clegane...and end with demise of Balon - I guess that makes a pretty packed and dramatic episode...

epp 8 could focus more on danny and kingslanding (sansas wedding for example) and then...

just like in previous seasons the "big event" will happen in epp 9

RW will be that big event for season 3,

ep 10 will show some brief aftermath - like sandor deciding to travel to Lysas, reactions in kingslanding, and if Edric Storm is still included in the series- his escape thanks to Davos... as for seasons finale ending- a think death of Igritt in Jon's arms could be a good ending

As to the season 4 :

I dont's think they will delay the PW till the epp 9 there

on the contrary - it shall happen early in the season, but Tyrions imprisonment, court trial, trial by combat, and escape will be stretched across the entire season, so probably the big event in epp 9 will be trial by combat or even tyrions escape, (epp 10 can just show tyrions epilogue- him drunk siling somewhere on a ship)

likewise Jons story can be split acros the season 4 : in epp 1-2 hi fights wildlings attacking the wall, then he spends several epp imprisoned by Janos Slynt, then somewhere midseasons he is sent to meet Mance, and by the end of the season we have the Election...

Dondarrion can "awaken" kat in the last epp of season 3 or first epp of season 4, and she will be hanging freys at the end of that season)

I totally agree with those who think that it will contain certain parts of AFFC as well:

- definitely the kingsmot

-Brienne can be sent on search for sansa earlier

-likewise Davos can be sent from the wall to deal with northern lords before Jons election - so the season 4 can end with his "fake" execution (an in the beginning of Season 5 we will discover that he is alive)

-some Theons episodes- possibly ending with meeting Fake Arya

and I believe that Season 5 will include at least one of those big battles that GRRM took out of ADWD and will have in TWOF

I think that season four will definitely have a decent amount of Feast/Dance thrown into the end. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Tyrion get to Pentos, with his final scene being Illyrio telling him about going to meet Dany (good cliffhanger). I could see Arya making it the House of Black and White, Jaime and Cersei in their fathers vigil, Jon as Lord Commander and the whole Janos Slynt thing plus sending Sam and Aemon off, etc.

There are actually a decent amount of good places to end a season with a little bit of Dance and Feast merged into it. And then finally the big epilogue of Lady Stoneheart making her debut...

I think they are going to end the season with the Red Wedding, it'll be the biggest event in tv history. Definitely. Season 4 will probably end with Tyrions escape, and Tywins death. I'm really looking forward to it, that I'm almost forgetting the Battle of Blackwater and the House of the Undying. I'm so happy that the series is continuing, atleast 'till the Red Wedding.

He writes one of the most important episodes every season. Episode 7 is the Red Wedding. Hands down.

You're saying The Pointy End was one of the most important episodes in the first season? I'd call it one of the least "important" episode although there was a lot of good stuff in it (but there is in every episode).

I'm of the opinion that George doesn't want to revisit writing RW again 12 years after he wrote the first one, I think it's going to be Ep 8 as suggested by greatgeek up above.

I think they are going to end the season with the Red Wedding,

Nah, that would be too depressing. They need to end on something positive. Like the Purple Wedding. The Clifhanger would be Sansa finding herself in LF's clutches after her escape.

But with the Purple Wedding, viewers will know, that even if really bad stuff happens to the good guys, the bad guys eventually get their due as well.

That's some good incentive to tune in for season four again. Much better, in fact, than "Gee, I wonder which Stark is gonna die this year".

Nah, that would be too depressing. They need to end on something positive. Like the Purple Wedding. The Clifhanger would be Sansa finding herself in LF's clutches after her escape.

But with the Purple Wedding, viewers will know, that even if really bad stuff happens to the good guys, the bad guys eventually get their due as well.

That's some good incentive to tune in for season four again. Much better, in fact, than "Gee, I wonder which Stark is gonna die this year".

Doing the RW and the PW in the same season, will cover like 3/4 of the book. Anyway, I love to be depressed by a series or book.

Which is great, because for several characters, more than half of ASOS is needed to create a logical journey. I have faith in them, and I really hope that the RW will be episode 8 at the most (to avoid the "episode 9 is the big episode so be ready to see a main character die" syndrome).

I kind of doubt they'd do rw and pw in the same season. For one thing, it'd be expensive to stage them both as they're both huge w's. Well rw is more huge event, but considering the tents etc, it's huge. Plus, those are 2 of the biggest events in the series-- doesn't really make sense to cram them both into one season. I think, like many have said, that it would be ep 9. 10 would be awesome, but it might be too heart wrenching. I hope it is 10 though. And I forgot that grrm wrote pointy end not baelor, so you guys are prolly right that he opted out again of the big event.

It's a pity we don't get a season 3 ending with Sansa building her Winterfell snow castle in the Eerie, as a symbol of her lost childhood years with her family. That was one of the best written chapers in the whole saga (which is a rarity, as Martin throughout the novels excels in creating good storylines and characters, but also writes very mediocre prose more often than not).

I think that scene in particular would benefit greatly from the television medium, with the scenes of Sansa building the castle being mixed with flashbacks of childhood memories taking place in that very castle. Would be a great sentimental finale to the most action-filled season of them all.

I think David and Dan have been dreaming about writing the RW scene since they first read it in the novel. I don't think they would give that to GRRM. Remember that while the novels are GRRM's baby, the TV series is Dan and David's, and they have ultimate say over who writes which episode.

I'm of the opinion that George doesn't want to revisit writing RW again 12 years after he wrote the first one

Actually, I would argue that GRRM doesn't need to rewrite the RW. Despite being a hugely important part of the books, and incredibly dramatic, it doesn't strike me as particularly expensive filming wise. So why waste your only author-penned episode of the series on something that isn't really going to change much? The Blackwater, on the other hand, has been scaled down as I understand so in that case, it was useful to keep GRRM's vision intact through the process of adapting it.

If Queenscrown is episode 7, it'd make a nice ending to the season to see Bran head through the black gate. Although we're still left with the ever looming problem of quite what Bran is going to do during Season 4/5/6, when he only has three POV chapters past the black gate I believe...

Actually, I would argue that GRRM doesn't need to rewrite the RW. Despite being a hugely important part of the books, and incredibly dramatic, it doesn't strike me as particularly expensive filming wise. So why waste your only author-penned episode of the series on something that isn't really going to change much? The Blackwater, on the other hand, has been scaled down as I understand so in that case, it was useful to keep GRRM's vision intact through the process of adapting it.

If Queenscrown is episode 7, it'd make a nice ending to the season to see Bran head through the black gate. Although we're still left with the ever looming problem of quite what Bran is going to do during Season 4/5/6, when he only has three POV chapters past the black gate I believe...

Perhaps a few Bran scenes spread over the other seasons? I don't really think they can stretch his story.

Archived