GRRM on Season 3

Westeros

-The thing about the RW is that, as written in the books, it's not the climax at all. It's the event that ends the second acts and begins the third ;)

That's the book. This is the TV series. You might say you would prefer one season to cover the full book but that isn't going to happen. If the book is been cut (roughly) in half then the season will very likely climax at the RW. That has to happen near the end of the season. Its logical.

As for Robb. How much time is spent discussing the consequences in aSoS?

It mainly involves organising Edmure's marriage, who isn't in S2, so those discussions will still happen mainly in S3.

Is 5% a big part of the book? And it could easily be less.

As for not thinking of anything to be delayed. Why are you excluding the Theon/Bran option? It may not be delayed but I don't think we can rule it out based on the evidence. Furthermore, introducing people like the Reeds and the Tullys will take time. Certainly, at least as much time as discussing the consequences of Robb's actions. They could probably delay some of Tyrion or Sansa's last chapters also but I wouldn't be sure of that either.

Besides all the wedding talk, I want to see the show build up Oberyn Martell - similar to how they're building up Robb this season - along with the Dornish culture. Book 3 is where they become players, and it'd be great to have audiences become acquainted with how cool Oberyn is. Depending on how they write the series, he'll be front and center in Season 4 for

the greatest duel in the entire saga.

lol yeah I agree. They need a good actor to do Oberyn, build him up just like the books. Then kill him

lol yeah I agree. They need a good actor to do Oberyn, build him up just like the books. Then kill him

I think Oded Fehr (mummy movies) would be a pretty awesome Red Viper. He doesnt really do TV but its HBO and if they can get Sean Bean for a season, then why not.

A bit off topic but wouldn't it be cool if S2's handling of HotU would leave people completely wrongfooted about Robb's fate in S3? It's been a while since I read ACOK, but the first time I read it I thought that the wolf's head sewn onto a king's body was merely dream symbolism to signify Robb and I didn't think much of it. Little did I know that it was a literal image of him getting offed.

Now, this could work for TV as well: show the surreal image of a wolfman king as if to predict he will be glorious in the battle of five kings, only to smash that image with the RW in S3. Then again, dream sequences can be quite vague on screen. It can be done but it needs to be handled delicately (sopranos & mad men spring to mind).

I think Oded Fehr (mummy movies) would be a pretty awesome Red Viper. He doesnt really do TV but its HBO and if they can get Sean Bean for a season, then why not.

He would be awesome, and he actually does quite a bit of TV. He has had a recurring role for 2 season on USA Network's Covert Affairs, appearing as recently as last year, and on Burn Notice in 2008. He appeared on Medium, Three Rivers, and Law & Order between 2009-2010. He's no stranger to premium cable either; he was on Sleeper Cell on Showtime from 2005-2007. So, yeah... good lookin' out. He would be a perfect fit for Oberyn!

I have a really hard time picturing them ending S3 w/ the RW. Yes, it's going to be a hugely dramatic and talked about scene for the show no matter what, but it's going to shock people even more than E9 of S1. I can't see them cutting to black on the entire season on that note.

I have a really hard time picturing them ending S3 w/ the RW. Yes, it's going to be a hugely dramatic and talked about scene for the show no matter what, but it's going to shock people even more than E9 of S1. I can't see them cutting to black on the entire season on that note.

No, it'll be episode 9 or slightly earlier. It won't be 10. Ep. 10 will be for setting-up the next season.

He would be awesome, and he actually does quite a bit of TV. He has had a recurring role for 2 season on USA Network's Covert Affairs, appearing as recently as last year, and on Burn Notice in 2008. He appeared on Medium, Three Rivers, and Law & Order between 2009-2010. He's no stranger to premium cable either; he was on Sleeper Cell on Showtime from 2005-2007. So, yeah... good lookin' out. He would be a perfect fit for Oberyn!

Hopefully someone from HBO has this same idea! haa

Besides all the wedding talk, I want to see the show build up Oberyn Martell - similar to how they're building up Robb this season - along with the Dornish culture. Book 3 is where they become players, and it'd be great to have audiences become acquainted with how cool Oberyn is. Depending on how they write the series, he'll be front and center in Season 4 for

the greatest duel in the entire saga.

Ya, the way I see it is season 3 will end with RW, while season 4 will include the rest of aSoS, including the Greyjoy storyline from aFfC and introduce the Dornish story.

This way, season 5 can pick with enough space to merge the left out parts of FfC and DwD.

I see that many people is suggesting to have the RW in S3/E9 and the PW in S4/E2 or later. Provided they do not add a huge load of new material, that doesn't seem to be doable.

C.52 Catelyn: The Red Wedding, inside the Twins.

C.53 Arya: The Red Wedding, outside the Twins.

C.54 Tyrion: Discussion of the Red Wedding in KL.

C.55 Davos: Discussion of the Red Wedding in Dragonstone.

C.56 Jon: Jon reaches the Wall and warns of he wildlings.

C.57 Bran: Bran mets Sam at the Nightfort.

C.58 Daenerys: Dany discovers Barristan's identity and sends him and Jorah throught the sewers of Mereen.

C.59 Tyrion: Tyrion witnisses Sansa's despair after the RW.

C.60 Sansa: Start of the sequence of Tyrion/Sansa chapters of the Purple Wedding.

So there's only 6 chapters between the two events. But only three of them (54, 55 and 59) consist of dealing with the repercussions of the RW , and it seems Mereen (58) should belong in late S4. My point is, between the RW and the PW there should be one episode at most.

I think what I'd do is having the RW in S3/E9, have the repercussions in S3/E10, and then go ahead and start with the PW in the very first episode of S4. You can start directly with the wedding as if some months had happened and start the season with a bang.

No, it'll be episode 9 or slightly earlier. It won't be 10. Ep. 10 will be for setting-up the next season.

I'm kind of torn between whether or not RW will be in E9 or E10. On the one hand, having it in E10 would be an incredibly bleak end to the season, and might end up alienating viewers. But on the other hand it would make TV history, and if the RW is E9, how do they end E10? I was thinking the Mysha! scene, but that doesn't really have the same oomph to it I feel, and the PW is too far in the books. So what else but the RW as the finale?

I see that many people is suggesting to have the RW in S3/E9 and the PW in S4/E2 or later. Provided they do not add a huge load of new material, that doesn't seem to be doable.

C.52 Catelyn: The Red Wedding, inside the Twins.

C.53 Arya: The Red Wedding, outside the Twins.

C.54 Tyrion: Discussion of the Red Wedding in KL.

C.55 Davos: Discussion of the Red Wedding in Dragonstone.

C.56 Jon: Jon reaches the Wall and warns of he wildlings.

C.57 Bran: Bran mets Sam at the Nightfort.

C.58 Daenerys: Dany discovers Barristan's identity and sends him and Jorah throught the sewers of Mereen.

C.59 Tyrion: Tyrion witnisses Sansa's despair after the RW.

C.60 Sansa: Start of the sequence of Tyrion/Sansa chapters of the Purple Wedding.

So there's only 6 chapters between the two events. But only three of them (54, 55 and 59) consist of dealing with the repercussions of the RW , and it seems Mereen (58) should belong in late S4. My point is, between the RW and the PW there should be one episode at most.

I think what I'd do is having the RW in S3/E9, have the repercussions in S3/E10, and then go ahead and start with the PW in the very first episode of S4. You can start directly with the wedding as if some months had happened and start the season with a bang.

I do quite like the idea of opening with the PW, it'd make for probably the best Season opener yet. You could even ignore all other plots and just have a whole hour of build up to it in Kings landing.

Trouble is, I also think the season has to end with Tyrion's escape and there's only really the trial by combat between these events. Though they could flesh out his incarceration ala Jaime this season I suppose.

If S3 end with the RW, they'd have to flesh out S4 quite a bit, so I don't think the PW will happen in 4x01. The producers will probably move some events around. The Dornishmen's arrival in King's Landing will surely be pushed back to the beginning of S4 and they will deal with some political issues before the PW.

He would be an awesome Oberyn! He's dead on with the age too. Also, thanks for the Sleeper Cell reference..... one of my favorite shows noone watched!

As far as the timeline between the two weddings, tberes plenty to fill in the gaps, Jons escape from the wildings at Queenscrown can be there, Brans journey, the Magnars attack, Mance at the wall, not to mention Arya, Sansa, and Dany.

It will probably be similiar to this past week where we didnt see alot of Robb but was very Jon intensive.

The RW will be season 3. If you think they would start off season 4 with the RW in one of the first episodes, you don't know much about TV. It will be perfect for a climax of the first SOS season, and there's no other event that could take its place. So much has to happen after it-

Joffrey's death, Tyrion's trial, the Battle at the Wall, Mereen, plus all the other storylines from the second portion of the book.

The [Red Wedding] will be season 3. If you think they would start off season 4 with the [Red Wedding] in one of the first episodes, you don't know much about TV. It will be perfect for a climax of the first [Storm of Swords] season ...

There is no such thing as “a Storm of Swords season”. There is only story, and within that, character arcs. These do not respect the boundaries of the published covers. It doesn’t matter where a certain published book ends. They’re all merely serial installments of one giant tale, a tapestry of interwoven threads.

You have to lay out each character’s story arc based on what we know from all five published books, carefully noting sync points between characters. Then you partition those out to fit within separate ten-episode seasons, making sure all the main characters have some sort of beginning, middle, and end. The last episode in that ten-episode series has to serve both as denouement and also as set-up for the next season.

I read an interview of the creators /producers of the show where they explicitely say that "The-scene-that-should-not-be-named" will NOT be part of season 3 but of season 4.

So no Red Wedding next year, that is one more season for Robb. I guess the climax of the season will be Joffrey's death.

There is no such thing as “a Storm of Swords season”. There is only story, and within that, character arcs. These do not respect the boundaries of the published covers. It doesn’t matter where a certain published book ends. They’re all merely serial installments of one giant tale, a tapestry of interwoven threads.

And they said that the contents of ASOS will be split up between season 3 and 4 and salt was referring to the first of these two.

Archived