What We Are Reading in May 2012

Starkess

Without commenting on the rest of this argument, I want to point out that novels are not analogous to movies or songs. A novel requires a far larger investment of time and effort, and therefor we are less likely to suffer through crap in our choice reading.

Point conceded. But it isn't a huge investment if the Tie-in is truly crappy. One, a person can always stop reading. Two, if the person reads at my pace most tie ins are real short, I rarely have one in my hands for more than a couple of days. Compared to some of the stronger fantasy I have read, Firethorn took me a week. The history books I read in the background often take up a month of my time. Compared to that, a few lunch periods with a tie in is not that much different than wasting a couple hours straight watching mindless entertainment.

-LoN --Keep reading what you want. ll grant you that in author quality 4k is better than other tie in sci-fi universes I have read. I haven't read huge chunks of it, but really enjoyed Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Comparing it to the Culture on the other hand, we will just have to disagree on which is deeper. Banks does have the limitation of being the only author writing it, for instance.

-LoN --Keep reading what you want. ll grant you that in author quality 4k is better than other tie in sci-fi universes I have read. I haven't read huge chunks of it, but really enjoyed Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Comparing it to the Culture on the other hand, we will just have to disagree on which is deeper. Banks does have the limitation of being the only author writing it, for instance.

Well of course its down to opinion. I respect that you admit 40k's positives even if its not your favourite, and I am aware of The Culture but in name only. I've never actually read about it but its something i've sometimes pondered researching.

LotN

I finished reading Toni Morrison's Beloved Yesterday. I was annoyed when my lecturer assigned the book, my baby sitter leant it to me years ago (possibly when I was 13 or 14) but I couldn't understand it and I basically had it confused with "The Color Purple" and therefore assumed that it would be incomprehensible and also thought it would be "pity us we're victims"

It was so incredible. I couldn't stop reading it when I started. It's portrait of power (having absolute power over other people, and seeing them as objects) and the evil that this mindset brings (thinking of Sethe as an animal and then having the power to treat her worse), was incredible.

It's portrait of justified narcissm (the murdered Beloved has the mindset of a 1 year old child, the age at which she died).

Sethe's restricted life even after her escape (like that she was frightened to make plans because plans went wrong).

But also Sethe's love for all her children (even if the fundamental evil she was subjected to caused her to have a very unique definition of love where Beloved was concerned) Denver's journey from isolate to participation in the community.

The importance of community in overcoming despair.

Also it was magical realism, it's sort of like a physical manifestation of the people's misery.

the character of Ella was like a human being released from the Pit of Despair.

Is The Dark Tower series worth getting into? I have heard some mixed opinions on it. I saw them all in the bookstore today and they looked pretty sweet! I feel like I would get sucked in though, so I want to know if it would be worth the time and effort.

Input??

I thought The Dark Tower had a great hook with the opening book, but evolved into something that I didn't sign up for by book five. That near death experience may have lit a fire under King to complete the series, but it's too bad he didn't have a plan before he sat down and started writing again. Book seven certainly felt like something made up on the spot with its unnecessary subplots and its lackluster big reveals to mysteries built up from the first book. And the ending was so stupid that it made me regret even reading the series.

There are obviously people that like it, so give it a try and maybe you'll see something in it I didn't. But if you feel like the story is going downhill by the end of book four, it only gets worse, so save yourself the time and just wiki the ending.

re: Beloved -- you should hear the audio book, with Morrison narrating her own work. It's wonderful. :)

Hahaha, you bastards, discussing Morrison here and leaving my thread to die. *shakes fist* ;-P

I finished Simon Schama's The Embarrassment of Riches on the yesterday (the 2nd) and started The Dragon Reborn. If I equal the time its taken to get through the first two WoT books, I should be starting Christopher Haigh's English Reformations during the last week of the month.

I finished 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it like I've enjoyed the rest of his books but I can't claim that I was impressed with the character development.

I'm now reading The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu. About a third of the way in and it's actually quite a fun read.

I've been meaning to comment on something in this thread for a couple of days now and every time I sat down to post the twins started crying. This thread has always been about us listing what we are reading without having to fear someone will mock us for our choices. Teasing, yes, it's acceptable and welcome, friendly criticism and disagreement are also welcome. What should be unacceptable is mocking someone repeatedly, like Peterbound has been doing with Lord of The Night for the past 2 months or so. Just my two cents, I've used this thread for recommendations many times and I'd hate to see someone shy away from it because someone else is being a bully.

Haven't read much 40K, I will say the Felix and Gotrek novels are far better KKC.

Valente's Deathless is worth the read, beautiful prose and ideas - S&M fairy tale. Just keep in mind that it is a dark fairy tale, not a romance. Don't expect to much showing of the sexual tension that leads to a relationship. You won't see the MCs fall into actual love.

Started Song of Achilles, good stuff.

Is The Dark Tower series worth getting into?

I'd say yes, they are definitely worth it. Then again there are mixed opinions over the series, mainly the last couple books. It is one of my favorite series though and I honestly didnt have as many issues as many seem to

I second that, although I am not King's fan. One of the best series I have read.

Recently finished Matterhorn. Loved it, but it didn't twist my insides like I thought it might. Perhaps I expected too much.

Halfway through Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay. Loving it so far.

Picking up the The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword tomorrow, finally re-released in Holland.

You mean in single volume English editions? 'Cause the Dutch ones have been around for some time now...

If you have found single volume Enlish editions, do tell!

EDIT: Can't find a Dunk & Egg Tales sub-forum or topic, anyone could link me?

I don't believe there's a subforum for them, but I believe there are several threads under the general section of ASOIAF Novels. I would strongly recommend to read the stories before reading the threads, though, as you'll get seriously spoiled!

I've been meaning to comment on something in this thread for a couple of days now and every time I sat down to post the twins started crying. This thread has always been about us listing what we are reading without having to fear someone will mock us for our choices. Teasing, yes, it's acceptable and welcome, friendly criticism and disagreement are also welcome. What should be unacceptable is mocking someone repeatedly, like Peterbound has been doing with Lord of The Night for the past 2 months or so. Just my two cents, I've used this thread for recommendations many times and I'd hate to see someone shy away from it because someone else is being a bully.

Thank you.

Haven't read much 40K, I will say the Felix and Gotrek novels are far better KKC.

G&F are a great series of books, i'll always love them for introducing Grey Seer Thanquol.

LotN

I finished 9 Dragons by Michael Connelly a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it like I've enjoyed the rest of his books but I can't claim that I was impressed with the character development.

I'm now reading The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu. About a third of the way in and it's actually quite a fun read.

Really? On this forum? I'd say i was lightly teasing him/her. His reaction was a little extreme, but it was a light poke in the ribs. I've been fucking with Grack and nick about their obsession with dragonlance for /years/. LotN's weird views on 40k NEED to be mocked. You did read that he/she thought they were pretty much the greatest thing ever.. right? How the hell can you expect to post something like that and not get shit for it? I'm sorry. I try to be nice (unless we are talking about mormons, or tie in novels), but the shit he/she claims is beyond the pale. Also, i didn't start off as mocking him/her. I was honestly happy he/she was reading something other than a dumb ass tie in book.

Also, the white knight bit is a little out of character around here. Fuck it, when i get home from work tonight, i'll start a thread about tie in's and how horrible they are.

Really? On this forum? I'd say i was lightly teasing him/her. His reaction was a little extreme, but it was a light poke in the ribs. I've been fucking with Grack and nick about their obsession with dragonlance for /years/.

FWIW, I didn't get the jokey tone either, it seemed like you were really mocking LotN.

Really? On this forum? I'd say i was lightly teasing him/her. His reaction was a little extreme, but it was a light poke in the ribs. I've been fucking with Grack and nick about their obsession with dragonlance for /years/. LotN's weird views on 40k NEED to be mocked. You did read that he/she thought they were pretty much the greatest thing ever.. right? How the hell can you expect to post something like that and not get shit for it? I'm sorry. I try to be nice (unless we are talking about mormons, or tie in novels), but the shit he/she claims is beyond the pale. Also, i didn't start off as mocking him/her. I was honestly happy he/she was reading something other than a dumb ass tie in book.

Also, the white knight bit is a little out of character around here. Fuck it, when i get home from work tonight, i'll start a thread about tie in's and how horrible they are.

My reaction was extreme? I don't know about most people but I consider being told from somebody who comes out of nowhere that i'm wasting my life reading tie-in fiction to be something that warrants a strong reaction. And my claim for 40k being some of the strongest sci-fi literature is just that, a bloody claim and opinion. If you disagree then that is your choice, I won't say your wasting your life not reading it as you did for me. Read what you choose to read, but don't insult me because you don't like what I read. Because I didn't do that to you and I wouldn't, the only books I ever give people crap for reading are Twilight and even then in jest.

"Honestly happy i'm reading something other than a dumb ass tie-in book?" Are you dense enough that you don't see why that is insulting? You condescend to me like that and is it any surprise that I tell you to bite me? I will read what I damn well choose to read which is mostly Black Library, a cut above most other tie-in fiction.

Go ahead, its your opinion that they are bad. Every single novel in the world has its detractors. Tie-in fiction is no different, it has those who enjoy it, like me, and those who don't, like you.

And its he fyi.

LotN

For tie-in novels Legend of Huma Human, Planescape Blood War Trilogy, and Life and Death of a Sorcerer King. READ IT.

Also, isn't most fiction-for-entertainment bad if you're comparing it to someone like Toni Morrison or Cormac McCarthy? Seems like we need some criteria on what makes novels suck beyond a false hierarchy.

Are you guys for serious? Is there no May 2012 reading thread? I've clicked two pages and you'd better hope and pray that you make it safe back to your own world.

CONSEQUENCES BE DAMNED.

What have I read in April/start of May? I've finished The Russian, which is a Battlefield 3 tie-in novel that my brother bought me for Xmas that I fully expected to be shit. It was actually a fairly fun read.

I also just finished Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. Goddamn this is a good series so far, but I think it may get a bit meta-dodgy in the next book? However it turns out, Roland of Gilead is one of the greatest protagonists ever to grace the world of fantasy (or sci-fi).

Up next I'm gonna start a bit of non-fic with Nothing To Envy, a harrowing-looking book about some refugees from North Korea by Barbara Demick.

Really?  On this forum?  I'd say i was lightly teasing him/her.  His reaction was a little extreme, but it was a light poke in the ribs.  I've been fucking with Grack and nick  about their obsession with dragonlance for /years/.  LotN's weird views on 40k NEED to be mocked.  You did read that he/she thought they were pretty much the greatest thing ever.. right?  How the hell can you expect to post something like that and not get shit for it?  I'm sorry.  I try to be nice (unless we are talking about mormons, or tie in novels), but the shit he/she claims is beyond the pale.  Also, i didn't start off as mocking him/her.  I was honestly happy he/she was reading something other than a dumb ass tie in book.

Also, the white knight bit is a little out of character around here.  Fuck it, when i get home from work tonight, i'll start a thread about tie in's and how horrible they are.

To clarify, im not obsessed with dragonlance. I just think it's better than everything else.

Archived