[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

I do wonder the thinking in having Martin write “Blackwater”. Is it an honor or a chore? Are they trying to make sure they get the plot-notes that the author thinks critical?

George has considerable experience writing teleplays.

I don't think he had too, but , I have not heard it said, D&D wanted him to write at least one episode per season because they admire him so much and he IS an experienced teleplay writer.

Beside he gets paid for writing the teleplay.

I'm really hoping that Shae holding a knife to Sansa's (?) throat is just a dream. It would make sense if it were, seeing as she is conflicted over who she can trust, and that dream would definitly represent a very real concern she has.

Glad we will finally get to see more Jaime!

I'm curious to see how they will play out Bran & Rickon's disappearance, as well as Arya's storyline with Tywin still being in Harrenhal.

ETA: Can't wait to see the Hound get some more screen time with his little bird!

This far in I figured D&D had to do something with Qarth, since as I read CoK seemed to me GRRM was struggling to squeeze something actionable out of those Dany chapters.

But it's got me worried. GRRM really hits his stride in SoS with Danny. Sure there is stuff to cut and modify but the backbone of Dany's adventures with Slavers Bay is a gold plated ripping yarn.

Hate to see much modification there.

If Jon goes over to the free folk on his own I'm gonna fucking scream! Jon would never turn his cloak without orders to do so, he's just to honorable a guy for that. It would completely change the nature of his character for the worse, he's Eddard's son and dad was honorable to a fault just like Jon.

why people think this could even happen is beyond me.. yall can be so impatient with the show

i think Littlefinger will be zapping to Highgarden till episone 9 so maybe will be off screen for the next two episodes

i still wonder why didn't he mention he is the future owner of the Harrenhal as in the books he is but he never set foot in it

And this is the main problem. If she looked young for her age (like Maisie), then it wouldn't be a problem. But she looks older than her age. I'd say she looks 19 or 20.

Why is that a problem?

To me Maisie is starting to look older , she happens to be small in stature but she 15 now, start of season 4, if there is one, she will be 16. By season 5, if there is one, she will be 17 and maybe turn 18 while she is still in Braavos.

She will really look like a young woman by then.

That is ok by me, the show disposed of the book-age deal from season 1.

Gotta admit I'm surprised that the preview suggests Theon is going to have a fairly large role this episode. I'd have thought that since next episode is called 'The Prince of Winterfell', that's where they'd fit most of the rest of his storyline in. It's a shame. I mean the scenes are incredibly well-acted, directed, written, etc., but I just fucking hate Theon.

Oh trust me, I certainly don't want extraneous stuff either, and if Ros doesn't show up or dies, I would be very happy. I am just trying to guess whatt the producers will do based on their decisions this season. No Ros in this episode would be for the best.

The last 4 episodes definitely need to be greatly focused and show main developments of the important, crucial characters.

I haven't liked all of the changes with Dany's storyline, especially if Irri is actually dead..there is no reason for that to happen at all. The desire to add drama and to have Dany have a lot of screentime to please her large fanbase is surely why they did all of these changes. I would have liked something similar to the original plot, but that is just me. I hope the House of the Undying goes well, and that Barristan AND Strong Belwas appear at the end of the season.

Either way, this should hopefully be a great episode.

The problem is her original story was boring as crap and it sucked ass apart form the House of the Undying so it's not like there would be much of a change .

I was very surprised that with all that extra time with Ygritte she didn't say her line. I am sure if she is in this episode she will throw it in there somehow.

Also, I didn't think Dany's storyline was really THAT boring in ACOK until the House of the Undying, but that's just me I suppose. I think they could have expanded the stuff she did a bit more without trying to put all of these dramatic changes in, but I will be patient and see how it all works out. I enjoyed the Spice King telling her off, but hate how her arguments only resort to her saying "I will destroy everything with fire and blood!". It looks like Jorah is back this episode though which is a very good thing. He is a great character and I like him on the show a lot.

Gotta admit I'm surprised that the preview suggests Theon is going to have a fairly large role this episode. I'd have thought that since next episode is called 'The Prince of Winterfell', that's where they'd fit most of the rest of his storyline in. It's a shame. I mean the scenes are incredibly well-acted, directed, written, etc., but I just fucking hate Theon.

Theon's story arc is one of tragedy and one of the most interesting, IMO. He's never felt like he was part of anything and the first time he tries to prove himself, it all goes horribly wrong. He ends up betraying people that he obviously didn't want to betray, performing horrible acts that you could tell he didn't want to do and then imprisoned, tortured and broken. I hated him when he was Theon too, though I did have some sympathy for him. But after becoming Reek.... wow... I felt horrible for the guy. I think they're handling his story even better in the TV show because you can see the inner struggle in his face.

One character I've always hated that I've never quite got why people liked him is Jaime Lannister. It actually kind of pissed me off when it was obvious that GRRM was trying to make him into some sort of grey/redeeming hero with his story arc. I wanted to see the guy suffer and still do now.

About Sansa having her first blood in this week’s episode, even if I agree that the actress portraying her looks a little old for that, I don’t mind it at all. It’s all an act anyway. Also, I had a friend when I was in high school, who had her first period at 16 and she two looked old and was tall (5’’8’ I think), so these things happen.

Shae with the knife is a real puzzle to me.

If it’s taken from the scene where Sansa is trying to burn her mattress, I would think that using a sharp object to stop her from doing that would be a bit extreme, so it’s not very likely to me.

If it’s a dream, well, it would be weird also…

Why is that a problem?

To me Maisie is starting to look older , she happens to be small in stature but she 15 now, start of season 4, if there is one, she will be 16. By season 5, if there is one, she will be 17 and maybe turn 18 while she is still in Braavos.

She will really look like a young woman by then.

That is ok by me, the show disposed of the book-age deal from season 1.

We were discussing the moonblood scene. In that case age is rather important. My thought is that they were going to do it, but they changed their mind when they went to film season 2, because of Sansa's older appearance. I definitely could be wrong though.

Haven't read this all yet so sorry if I'm repeating someone else................

Since Jamie's favorite scene of all time is in this episode (I think) and Tywin is yelling about wanting them all dead, every one, I think Jaime loses his hand.

Did the preview show Theon beating up on Hodor???? Geez, I hope not.

It's way to early for Jaime to get his hand cut off! Who would do it?

I don't see any reason for anyone in the Stark camp to do something like that if they don't want Cersei to ask one of her guards to cut a piece of Sansa.

And then, the hand cutting is a pillar moment in Jaime's change of character. At first, he has to be a jerk to Brienne before latter getting his hand cut off and start to change.

Archived