A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

how did Jon Snow knew the name of Bran's direwolf? as far as i can remember, Summer got his name by the time Jon is already on the wall. but certain events in the third book shows that he knew the direwolf's name. are we to assume that he was told somehow, but just wasn't mentioned in the books? or is there are instance that he is indeed told, but i just couldn't remember?

Didn't he learn the name while in Ghost, in one of his wolf dreams? The wolf that smelled like summer? Have to check the novels though.

Didn't he learn the name while in Ghost, in one of his wolf dreams? The wolf that smelled like summer? Have to check the novels though.

Maybe this, do we hear him actually calling him Summer, or only that he smells of summer. Actually, in anyone's wolfdream - the wolves don't refer to each other by names, do they?

Maybe this, do we hear him actually calling him Summer, or only that he smells of summer. Actually, in anyone's wolfdream - the wolves don't refer to each other by names, do they?

No, it is 'the angry one', 'the silent one', 'the one who smells of summer'.

Doesn't Jon receive a letter from Winterfell when Bran wakes up? Might Robb or Luwin have mentioned in the letter what Bran named his direwolf?

I can't imagine that messages attached to a bird's leg would be too wordy. Probably would be limited to pertinent facts. Why would Luwin think it was important to tell Jon the new name of his half-brother's pet wolf?

I read, on another thread, that GRRM has said that there will be no more POV characters.

Is that true? If so where can I find it? If it is true does that mean that all the pieces are on the board? Will there be no more new "important" characters?

It's probably in one of the SSMs in the Citadel if you want to hunt it up. All it means is that the POVs we have now are the only ones we will have. It doesn't mean that a new character can't pop up and just not have a POV.

This is a really general question, but ... when a smallfolk wants to marry someone, does he/she have to seek the approval of the marriage through the lord that rules his or her land?

I wondered this since Bolton was so mad that time when he was out hunting, and then came upon the woman who one of the smallfolk on his land married without his consent or leave, so he killed the man and raped the woman.

I can't imagine that messages attached to a bird's leg would be too wordy. Probably would be limited to pertinent facts. Why would Luwin think it was important to tell Jon the new name of his half-brother's pet wolf?

I read the first passage involving Jon and Summer and he felt the wolf (who he also saw) and apparently either recognized the wolf as Brans externally or internally. He didnt use the name.

This is a really general question, but ... when a smallfolk wants to marry someone, does he/she have to seek the approval of the marriage through the lord that rules his or her land?

I wondered this since Bolton was so mad that time when he was out hunting, and then came upon the woman who one of the smallfolk on his land married without his consent or leave, so he killed the man and raped the woman.

Bolton was only mad because they practice prima nocte. That is when the Lord of the land can bed the bride the night of their wedding. Since they married without his knowledge he wasn't given the opportunity and took that action.

ETA: That is NOT a common practice in Westeros and is most likely frowned upon (if not banned) by the Starks. Bolton did mention that the Umbers may practice this as well.

I read the first passage involving Jon and Summer and he felt the wolf (who he also saw) and apparently either recognized the wolf as Brans externally or internally. He didnt use the name.

i'm not sure in aSoS, but Jon used the name Summer in aDwD.

i'm not sure in aSoS, but Jon used the name Summer in aDwD.

Yes, he does.

"At Queenscrown, one had come out of the darkness to save Jon’s life. Summer, it had to be. His fur was grey, and Shaggydog is black. He wondered if some part of his dead brothers lived on inside their wolves."

Has the status of Theon's genitalia been confirmed anywhere?

Do you mean in the books or some official GRRM statement?

In either the first or second Reek chapter he thinks back on the fact that Ramsay took fingers from him and that other thing.

We also know that he said something like "But I have no..." during Jeyne's bedding and Ramsay broke in and said, "with your tongue"

The quotes aren't 100% accurate since I don't have the book here, but along those lines.

Archived