Who do you think will be the first main book character to figure out Jon's parents?

kg1982

There's no such passage and the author has already gone on record as saying the three dragon riders need not necessarily be all Targaryens. Not surprisingly, the statement has made many readers now assume that at least one of the riders will not be a Targaryen.

My bad, It was the other way around. So strong candidates for the heads could be Vic and Tyrion.

I still believe Dany would be part of the revelation of Jon's parentage assuming R + L = J is true. If not then Edric Dayne could take that part.

I`m still not convinced that Jon isn`t just Ned Stark`s bastard.

Usually the simplest solution is the most likely. I just don`t buy it that Jon`s parentage is a major mystery to the series. In fact, Jon rarely, if ever, mentions it himself past the first book.

Edit: Not to mention that no one in Westeros cares or is looking.

Usually the simplest solution is the most likely. I just don`t buy it that Jon`s parentage is a major mystery to the series. In fact, Jon rarely, if ever, mentions it himself past the first book.

No one cares or no one is looking then suddenly BAM! Jon is the son of a Braavosi merchant and a Dothraki bloodrider. Sometimes GRRM works out things like that.

If Jon's parentage wasn't a major mystery then there is no reason to keep his mother a secret. No one in Westeros cares or is looking because Ned had such a rock solid reputation of being honest that no one questions that he might be lying. It's not like several haven't questioned Ned on the mother or made assumptions on their own. They have. They just don't suspect that Ned would lie about something so extraordinary.

If Jon's parentage wasn't a major mystery then there is no reason to keep his mother a secret. No one in Westeros cares or is looking because Ned had such a rock solid reputation of being honest that no one questions that he might be lying. It's not like several haven't questioned Ned on the mother or made assumptions on their own. They have. They just don't suspect that Ned would lie about something so extraordinary.

Right on.

And that, my friend, is Eddard Stark. His words are rock, none shall question this man's honor as Varys once said.

Right on.

And that, my friend, is Eddard Stark. His words are rock, none shall question this man's honor as Varys once said.

Exactlly. Why on earth would someone like Ned lie about having a bastard? It's a stain on his honor and him accepting that just makes the whole thing unquestionable.

I would look forward to a Jon Connington - Jon Snow meeting very much. How bittersweet would it not be for JonCon to find the true son of his great love, and realize who he is (I doubt anyone alive knows Rhaegars face and ways better than him), after also being informed he spent much of his life and all his last years catering to a Blackfyre usurper. But I don't think that will happen, for logistic reasons mostly, and because who would ever tell him Aegon is FAegon? Lady Lemore perhaps. Who knows? If it does by some miracle, I think he will die before telling anyone.

Yes, I think the logistical reasons are important and needs to be taken into consideration. The one person we know how definitely knows is Howland Reed. And he is at Greywater Watch. It is unlikely that he can travel north to the Wall to tell Jon in person, as there is a lot of snow in the north, and two armies at Winterfell. Judging by Stannis' army's ordeal, there won't be a lot of travelling going on in the north for a while. Which leaves south, or that a POV will arrive at Greywater Watch and meet Howland there.

Meaning Howland, if he will be brought out, will have to talk to someone else who is nearer to him geographically and still have enough of a clue to add two and two together, I think, since I doubt Howland will come out and go "Yo gyus, Rhaegar's trueborn son is at the Wall, he's called Jon". It would also make it more interesting if it was someone who'd have mixed feelings about knowing this piece of information. Which makes Jon Conn and Jaime the more interesting people to figure it out, but as you say, Jon Conn is just too far away. Hence my bet is on Jaime.

The other persons I can think of that could know Rhaegars appearance extremely well are Barristan, Cercei and Stannis. [ETA: I forgot Varys] Barristan have not met Jon, and Cercei didn't get a good look at him in Winterfell as far as I remember, while Stannis lacks the imagination to put one and one together (I think). JonCon on the other hand have probably dreamed of Rhaegars face every night... ;)

That depends tho since Jon seems to take after Rhaegar's appearance in many ways, but not when it comes to the face. He seems to have the same build, but Lyanna's Stark looks. (There's the interesting comparison between Jon and Robb, where Jon is basically the Rhaegar body type and Robb the Hoster Tully one)

Other than this fantasy, I think Bran knows or will know anytime now. The one to tell Jon will likely be Howland Reed, cause what else has the man got to do in this series. Jojen and Meera may already know so they don't count, and I don't think they are going to be the ones to spill the beans, it's too important knowledge and they probably swore to never tell anyone IF they know.

I just can't figure out the logistics of Howland getting to the Wall tho. Hence why I think Howland will need an intermediate.

Jaime will know at some point, and he will try to remedy his broken vow to Rhaegar, by becoming Jon's personal kingsguard in one form or another. If he dies for him, he will have saved the last of Rhaegars children and that would give him some peace. Happy thinking I know...

I tend to think this is not too far fetched. It makes no sense to link up Jaime and Jon Snow via his talk to Cat and have Jaime musing on how Snow is such a white name, and then Jaime dreaming about Rhaegar.

Interesting paralell between Jon and Rhaegar: both wanted to do changes to the way things were run, and both were killed before it was all complete (although unlike daddy dearest, Jon may have a second chance at getting things right). We also have Jaime being told by Rhaegar that when he came back changes would be made.

Interesting paralell between Jon and Rhaegar: both wanted to do changes to the way things were run, and both were killed before it was all complete (although unlike daddy dearest, Jon may have a second chance at getting things right). We also have Jaime being told by Rhaegar that when he came back changes would be made.

If Jon is dead then both deaths are related to stealing a Stark girl from her man.

Sooner or later Bran will find out, but I don't think he'll tell others.

Jon will have a child with someone, Asha, Meera, Val, doesn't matter .... and the child will be born with silver hair and bright purple eyes :) Then everyone figures it out.

If Jon is dead then both deaths are related to stealing a Stark girl from her man.

No, because it was stealing Jeyne Poole from Ramsay. It has nothing to do with a Stark girl. They think it was the Stark girl, but I thought Mance was burned by Stannis. Thinking something has no weight in ASOIAF.

Sooner or later Bran will find out, but I don't think he'll tell others.

Jon will have a child with someone, Asha, Meera, Val, doesn't matter .... and the child will be born with silver hair and bright purple eyes :) Then everyone figures it out.

Well that would definitely require the downfall of everything Mendel ever put down about genetics. Or Asha/Meera/Val being a secret Targaryen too... So no. I don't think so. If Jon will have a silver haired kid with purple eyes, that should be by - gods, old and new and burning and drowned save us - Daenerys.

No, because it was stealing Jeyne Poole from Ramsay. It has nothing to do with a Stark girl. They think it was the Stark girl, but I thought Mance was burned by Stannis. Thinking something has no weight in ASOIAF.

Well that would definitely require the downfall of everything Mendel ever put down about genetics. Or Asha/Meera/Val being a secret Targaryen too... So no. I don't think so. If Jon will have a silver haired kid with purple eyes, that should be by - gods, old and new and burning and drowned save us - Daenerys.

But he thinks it's Arya, he wouldn't do it for Jayne, he would just tell himself that it's not his war. So Arya is the motive.

As for blond, purple eyed children there is still Allyria Dayne, if she looks like Edric it may work.

I`m still not convinced that Jon isn`t just Ned Stark`s bastard. Usually the simplest solution is the most likely. I just don`t buy it that Jon`s parentage is a major mystery to the series. In fact, Jon rarely, if ever, mentions it himself past the first book.

Yeah, you're right. That must be the reason why the question of Jon's parentage is brought up constantly by characters other then Jon. Stannis: Your mother must have been a fishwife is only a quip, but still a reminder that nobody knows who his mother is. Then we have Davos getting to know the hottest gossip on the Fingers which includes and wouldn't you know it - Ned Stark's visit to a beautiful girl who surely is the mother of his bastard.

Jon doesn't think much of it, that's true. That's imho, because he is resigned to never knowing because Ned is dead and he doesn't know anyone who could possibly tell him. So he could only speculate. Not much to hang on to, really.

I guess, the revelation must come with dramatic impact, else why all the build-up. So I don't think Howland Reed just comes crawling from his swamp and just tells someone of his trust. No, I think it will be a situation where the whole thing matters. Personally I think it might be connected with the Pwtp prophecy, I don't think the Iron Throne will be the instigator. How about a not so major character, learning about the importance of a Stark/Targ connection and dying right after? That would be fun.

Bran will surely learn about it, and BR already knows. But it wouldn't make for dramatic storytelling to just have Bran looking into the past and serve as nothing more then a narrator. I truely hope, Bran will have other functions.

Jaime will know at some point, and he will try to remedy his broken vow to Rhaegar, by becoming Jon's personal kingsguard in one form or another. If he dies for him, he will have saved the last of Rhaegars children and that would give him some peace. Happy thinking I know...

Actually saving Jon is one of my pet theories as to how Jaime dies. It would be an interesting twist if the guy who is infamous for killing a king ends up dying to save another king. Another possibility is that Jaime ends up dying while saving KL from his sister, the Mad Queen.

I absolutely love the idea that Jaime will figure out the identity of Jon's parents and give his life to protect him. The Kingslayer will save the grandson of the king that he slew.

Since I am a fan of Jon Connington, I would like him to know the truth about Jon Snow. Distance and greyscale may prevent him from doing anything to help but he shoulld die knowing that the son of great friend is alive.

I'm also sure that Bran will "see it" but, since I hate his storyline right now, that's not the (only) way I want this mystery to be revealed.

:rofl: I literally burst out laughing at that!

I've never heard of this Mendel in ASOIAF :). For all we know the Targaryen hair and eye genes could be stronger then any other, and Jon's look could be just a fluke. In 300 years, the Targaryens had children with other people, outside of their house, and even if sometimes there were children who looked completely different, in the end, the Targaryen look prevailed.

Archived