US Politics: show us the money

DanteGabriel

Poking my head in here as an Australian who's watching the debate over cable...I also think Romney's presenting well here (factual things aside, which I'm sure will get scrutinised later on). Perhaps this is the moment in his campaign when he makes the big pivot to the centre.

After nearly an hour of this shit a couple of impressions.

1. While Romney is being smoother and thinking on his feet better than I had expected, he's also trying way to hard. Again, his aggressiveness will play well with the base but its not going to do so well with a lot of the undecided voters. He's also taken the whole talking over the moderator thing to the point of just being an ass.

2. Romney's flip-flops from prior positions and play rather loose with the truth will likely counter at least some, if not all his gains from this debate.

3. Obama did not plan well for this partly, I think, because Romney is a moving target and partly because he didn't expect to be contending with such poor moderation.

Another foreigner poking her nose here. What is going on with his body language? Whatever the strength of his delivery all I am seeing is a smirking, cocky man. I am not sure if that is the best approach when you are trying to reach undecided voters.

EDIT: Grammar.

Not a single thing of substance has been said so far in this "debate."

However, Romney is saying nothing of substance in a much more confident and convincing manner than Obama.

Jim Lehrer is also a terrible moderator. You can't get "specific" debating policies when you ask absurdly broad questions about contrasting philosophies of government.

Archived