Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

I live in North Dakota and, like Greywolf said, I'm always ready for winter. All of our vehicles have at least newer all-season tires on them. Also, the snowblower is ready for lighter snow removal while the tractor is ready to go for more heavy duty snow removal. I do still have to get up some snow fence around my place but that will happen this week. We've been having really nice weather so far this Fall. Just a few light dustings of snow and, since the daytime temps are still getting above freezing, none of it is sticking around for long.

Also, my wife and I have been getting back into homebrewing lately and we're making three or four different kinds of beer to have on hand for the holidays this year. I also tried my hand at making some apple pie liqeuer this year. It's pretty simple and turned out well. Warming some of that up on the stove, etc. will make a pleasant seasonal drink when coming in from outside during the holidays ;)

Been dreading the coming of winter, but you sir, make it sound positively wonderous. Prince of the North indeed.

In that spirit, I'm looking forward to two aspects of winter: 1) skiing 2) watching the first nighttime snowfall from the window and cozying up in front of the fire...from the lit coffee table all the while wishing I had a fireplace.

Oh, Corona's still here. She's lying under my feet as I watch football. She's really mellowed out now that she's gotten used to the weekly routine.

Looking forward to finding her an Awkward Family Photos Christmas sweater for her for the holiday season.

On the topic of apple pie booze, one of my favorite cold-weather drinks is about 2 oz of bourbon (or rye- I've used Bulleit rye for this recently, and it works nicely, it's less sweet than a lot of bourbons) and about 4-5 oz of hot, spiced cider (you can mull your own with an orange studded with cloves, plus cinnamon and maybe nutmeg or allspice, or you can buy spiced cider), and a spoonful of caramel. Heat the caramel with a little cider, add the bourbon, dissolve, and add the rest of the cider.

I bought a small jar of pretty good apple butter recently, may try it with that. Garnish with candied ginger.

This apple pie liqueur sounds very interesting. I may have to make it.

I love the cold weather, so, Winter, bring it on! I'm hoping for enough snow this winter that I can get back to cross-country skiing. I tried it for the first time a couple season ago and love it. Last winter there just wasn't enough snow. :(

Fuck winter.

I'm ready as I can get, tho. Already in 3 layers, going out requires more.

Might I suggest for the less experienced winter drivers that you carry a small snow shovel and a bag of clay kitty litter in your trunk? Damn handy for getting unstuck.

Worst part of winter these days is living in an apartment style condo - if the power goes out, no heat, and no fireplace.

Growing up in Montana, I loved the wintertime. The cold, the snow, the quiet, the scenery...it was by far my favorite season. Then I moved to southern California and winter is just...blah. They try to make it seem like winter, but no matter how many lights you put on trees and buildings, how many santas you put in stores, and no matter how much holiday music you play, you just can't make it feel like winter or like the holidays. Plus the fact that "cold" here is mid-50s. I am not saying that I loved it when it would get -30F, but it is hard to like winter when you come from a place that actually has it to a place that doesn't (but people think it does).

Do you need to get different tyres if the ones you have are already marked M+S on an SUV?, I'm guessing no?.

No, because they are designed for mud and snow. Just make sure they have a decent amount of tread left and you're good. Of course, if you drive like a maniac in slippery conditions your tires won't matter anyway :D

So aside from the booze, what else should I look forward to in winter?

ETA: By the way, I'm walking 20 mins (one way) everyday to my uni from the train station and that includes a short hike in a forest. There is no way I will be happy about this in German winter time.

So aside from the booze, what else should I look forward to in winter?

What's not to like about winter? Cold, crisp days with brilliant sunshine. SNOW! Cute boots. Sweaters. Roaring fires.

Oh it was 19F (-7C) here this morning. Of course I forgot to park in the garage and had to scrape frost off my windshield.

I think that the one of the worst things about winter (if you live in a climate where this even happens) is having to scrape off you windshield. That's the one thing I have always hated the most about winter.

Having to shovel out your driveway is worse, but scraping off the windshield stinks, too. Especially when you are running late in the morning or if you are out before the sun comes up. Or if you've been at work all day and there is a freezing rain, or if....

Surprisingly, I have never really minded having to shovel the sidewalk, driveway, porch, etc. The only time I hate it is when it dumps something like over a foot in a night. That stuff can get way too heavy. One of the last winters I was in Montana, we had a few really big snowstorms and I lost ~5 lbs in a few days just due to shoveling snow for a few hours a day. So that was a perk :)

Archived