Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

Surprisingly, I have never really minded having to shovel the sidewalk, driveway, porch, etc. The only time I hate it is when it dumps something like over a foot in a night. That stuff can get way too heavy. One of the last winters I was in Montana, we had a few really big snowstorms and I lost ~5 lbs in a few days just due to shoveling snow for a few hours a day. So that was a perk :)

Sidewalk, easy peasy. Driveway sucks because it's all hard packed snowplow snow. Digging out the mailbox is the worst. If he can get to it to leave nasty notes about shoveling, he can damn well leave my mail at the same time!

No, because they are designed for mud and snow. Just make sure they have a decent amount of tread left and you're good. Of course, if you drive like a maniac in slippery conditions your tires won't matter anyway :D

I heavily suspected as much, I actually hope it snows, I want to test out my terrain response thingy in snow mode and see what happens :D.

Sidewalk, easy peasy. Driveway sucks because it's all hard packed snowplow snow. Digging out the mailbox is the worst. If he can get to it to leave nasty notes about shoveling, he can damn well leave my mail at the same time!

At least shovelling, whatever the stuff shovelled, tends to keep you warm. There isn't so much energy involved in scraping the windscreen (arguably more finesse, but less energy), so it's a cold job. (Disclaimer: I have scraped my parents' windscreens, but never my own.)

Might I suggest for the less experienced winter drivers that you carry a small snow shovel and a bag of clay kitty litter in your trunk? Damn handy for getting unstuck.

And don't spin your wheels. That might be advice for life, not just driving.

A winter storm is hitting Edmonton, Alberta today and here's a glimpse of some of the scenes from the Weather Channel.

Just a gentle reminder to those of us who know the stuff is coming.

Yeah, that sucked. We ended up getting 38cm in one dump, the city was immobilized. Since then it's been up to 8 C a couple times, crazy weather. <_<

Winter is getting closer. I went an hour and a half north of the city on the weekend and the snow belt was getting a foot of snow. It never ceases to amaze me how Canadians sem to totally forget between winters how to drive in snow. And they are supposed to get another foot of snow today and tomorrow.

That means there should be snow at the tree farm on Sunday when a bunch of us go to get our Christmas trees.

Oh yeah, I freely admit to driving like an idiot this morning. I've got to get a few days of snow under my belt to remember what to do. College Hill covered in snow and flatbed trucks for the construction site stopped in my lane halfway up was... unpleasant this morning.

Having to shovel out your driveway is worse, but scraping off the windshield stinks, too. Especially when you are running late in the morning or if you are out before the sun comes up. Or if you've been at work all day and there is a freezing rain, or if....

yep, we have 140 linear feet of driveway, two cars wide (100 of that is shared with neighbors).

what else is there not to like about winter: cold; wind chapped skin; dry winter skin; you can't dress for outside and dress for the office...office is bound to be over heated.

I hate winter. We do not live far enough south

eta: Snow for tonight/tomorrow had been downgraded to a very cold rain, maybe a little snow mixed in

Tonight a pizza delivery car pulled in to our small apartment complex and parked just after I got home from work. I was headed inside, and a minute later went back out to the mailbox at the end of the driveway. A guy on the sidewalk turned into the driveway, looked me right in the eye, said, 'hey, how you doin," and then walked past me. He seemed familiar, and like he was going to the apartment on the far side. Then he opened the door to the pizza delivery car and got in like he owned it.

Something seemed wrong. I put my hand to my pocket, but my phone was inside. Then the pizza delivery lady came out of the other apartment. He gunned the car in reverse, peeled out past me into the street, and took off.

If I hadn't just put my purse and stuff inside, who knows? Just a shout out in general - as the days shorten and we go to work and come home in the dark, stay aware of your surroundings and be safe!

Rrrright. Still no sings of snow or frost here in Warsaw (after one day long attack back in October), for the past few weeks we had a constant temperature of about C 6-9 degrees (F 43-48). But the winter is coming and no mistake. I hate it.

Archived