Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

I kicked myself on Saturday for forgetting to get to the garage and have my snow tires removed. Then someone said, don't you know there's a winter storm coming? I said come on, you've got to be joking.

<looks out window, still snowing, small flakes now>

• 2 weeks later...

It snowed here yesterday, too. Still, overall there are signs of spring. One of long term patrons at the concert kast night brought me a bunch of the first daffodils from the season from her yard.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it safe yet? I drove to Omaha, Nebraska last week and on Thursday through Iowa it was 32 F, 0 C, and there was a blizzard.... On my return to Toronto on Sunday all the trees that were bare Wednesday morning were covered in bright green budding leaves. :)

I got an email from my uni today that said due to the sudden temp changes, they weren't able to properly fill up the air con (????) and wouldn't be able to use it in this heat wave. They will be using fans, instead.

My immediate environs got up to almost 30 C today, a jump of about 15 C in the last couple days. Fun stuff - I rocked a short-sleeve button-down to work today with no covering. :D

That is quite impressive until you realise we had two consecutive days of sunshine here in the south of England.

Nothing like it has been seen since Thatcher was first elected, shirtless men and scantily-clad women thronged the open spaces the reflected light from their pigment-challenged skins damaging retinas, cameras and if wikileaks is to be believed at least four surveillance satellites.

It is now cloudy again.

...and one of those days was a Bank Holiday even! James Bond watching figures plummeted as the traditional May Day entertainment was usurped by this freakish glowing ball of gas in the sky. The triffid invasion can only be days away.

Damn it all, I must have cursed my city with my post. The temperature has, of course, dropped (it will be 01 C tonight, 34 F), it's 9 right now (48) and we've had hail on and off. That stuff really stings your face. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I started this thread in November last year. It's September 16 (a very important day in the calendar :P ) and there are reports of heavy frost everywhere, and up north, where I attended a wedding on Saturday, it went down to 2 C. That was colder than it was in the Yukon.

But a warming trend is supposed to happen later in the week. :)

Anyone have snow forecasted for their area in the northern hemisphere yet?

And, of course, the folk in the southern hemisphere are entering the tough season now. :cool4:

We have had remarkably warm weather this year in the pacific northwest. I am very pleased that it cooled down yesterday and we even had a thunderstorm.

I am always ready for summer to be over, the leaves changing, and I can get out my sweaters. Winter is Coming!

PS Happy birthday Fragile Bird!

We have ridiculously hot temps with even worse humidity levels that just withers a person during summer. People from "hot" places like Arizona and Texas come here and can't believe how much hotter it is even with lower temperatures. I love when winter rolls around. Our winters arent bad at all. We might get snow twice a year under 6 inches. Enough to enjoy some snow, but not enough to become a burden.

I turned our heating on last week - just for an odd hour in the morning when we all get up and for a couple of hours in the evening. Still. Urk. Chilly already. The winter coat got its first trip to work today, though to be fair I could have coped with my autumn/spring coat on.

• 1 month later...

We have had the most glorious, moderate fall, with lots of sun and warm days, cool nights. All coming to an end, very soon. An hour or so north of my city there's been quite a bit of snow, my friends say. I was going to get my snow tires on today, and then decided I could wait another week. And now they're predicting, after a week of below 10 C daytime temperatures, that the end of the week will see us getting back up to 16 C.

Have you seen snow yet, my northern hemisphere friends?

Archived