Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

We have had a nice Fall as well, FB. But we had a dusting of snow last week that melted by the next day and now our first "real" snow is moving into SW North Dakota and NW South Dakota. It may even make it to south central North Dakota where I live. If it does it will probably be around awhile longer. Oh well, I love Fall the most but I like winter, too, and I'm ready for it ;)

We had a huge storm on Sunday night/Monday morning, which brought floods and stupid winds, but other than that and a few showers, we've had some pretty nice sunshine. I hope the decent autumn weather stays for Halloween & Firework night!

The nights can be a bit chilly though, so along with a grey-and-black cat jumper I bought, I also got a maroon one with reindeers on, and a black one with a ghost on. It's so cute! :laugh: I also got a fluffy hat which has ear-flaps and a bobble on top. So I am all set for the chill!

we've had over 20 degrees celsius for two weeks.

we usually have nice weather around 10th to 15th october, but i don't remember EVER wearing shorts on october 29th as i am today :D

at this time of the year we're used to rains and strong wind so this is a welcome change.

• 4 weeks later...

No snow here yet, but ice skating premiere today on a small lake near my parents' house. About 5 - 6 cm thick ice, completely clear. I could see all the roots and fronds on the bottom and shoals of terrified fish. I was probably the first person on that lake this season.

Well, I've been prepared for winter this year in North Dakota for some time now. But so far we've had a very mild Fall and early Winter. There's been hardly any snow to speak of and it's been a bit warmer than usual. The high temp forecast for Dec. 1st is 36 degrees F! I'll take it because, no matter what, we'll still have our fair share of wintry weather :thumbsup:

Put my snow tires on yesterday.

Looks like winter is arriving with a vengeance over the next 24 to 48 hours here in North America.

For you 'Mericans, I hope you like the folks you invited to Thanksgiving dinner, they may be there for a while. :)

Yup. The guests we invited might not arrive.... which would be too bad sine they are bringing the pies!

i grew up in a land of cold. northeast oregon winters are snowy, windy, cold and frozen. leaving those behind for california after high school was fantastic. when i returned to oregon i was in portland. the winters there may have a touch of snow once in a while, but mainly just drear and rain.

since coming out to the east coast i have been subjected to storms of 24 and 36 inches respectively that crippled the city and left me trapped in my home.

i have prided myself on surviving four winters out here without a winter coat. this one will be no different. to buy a coat that only sees service during the coldest months give into the demons of winter. it says 'lady winter, you have won.' no thank you. i am far more likely to just wear layer upon layer capped off by my near constant black hoodie than to be defeated by this chilly foe.

winter is coming? bring it!

i have caved in. between a elk hunting trip to the mountains of ne oregon, xmas in canada and a late january trip to iceland a couple sweatshirts and a hoodie were not going to do it.

i know own some sweet fucking boots, wool socks, a warm coat with liner and cool gloves that take the warmth of your hands and reflect it back on them.

and i am fucking glad! this sunday we are going to go and see the redskins play. the game is at 8:30pm and our tickets are somewhere around the same altitude that felix baumgartner jumped from. so, it is gonna be bloody cold. i intend to be warm. and my coat has a sweet inner pocket between the main layer and the liner that will hold my flask of bourbon nicely!

winter can go ahead and blow me.

• 9 months later...

Archived