Winter Is Coming - Ready or Not

Fragile Bird

Spring!

I bought some baskets of hanging strawberries yesterday and should have some fresh strawberries in a couple of weeks. The plan is to get them in the ground for a second crop later in the summer. Also picked up some baskets for the back patiio with some beautiful trailing petunias and verbena.

Spring is sprung! I'm back in shorts and winter is just a bad memory belonging to last week! That's one of the things I love about Augusta, GA. Its winter one day and then spring just blossoms overnight! The azaleas, wisteria and cherry blossoms have just exploded overnight~!

Winter is finally going! Here in North Dakota we've actually had a mild winter with periods of pretty nice weather throughout. The periods of nice weather have served to "tease" us with the promise of spring and made the winter seem even longer than usual (at least for me). I'm glad to say that April should be pretty nice although there will be the typical "April showers", of course. But that's a good thing in what is still a largely agricultural state.

Although, in ND it is not all that uncommon to get a final blizzard/snowstorm in April or even May so I'm hoping we don't get that this year.

I'm over winter. It's freaking cold. I wore my puffy coat today. IT'S FREAKING APRIL. I'm done already. I want daffodils, cherry blossoms, etc. And I want them now.

Spring will supposedly start blowing in for us after April 7th. Apparently some warm air is hanging out over Greenland blocking the usual paths of the winds which is why we are having colder than average temperatures right now.

Snowing again here.

SNOWING. AGAIN.

Sooo bored of this freezing fucking weather now. I mean sure, we occasionally had snow in April in the past, maybe once every 15 years or so. But at least back then the weather was properly changeable. Don't like it? Try next week! But last year all we got was RAAAAIIIINNNN and now apparently it's just COOOOLLLLDDDD. Who approved this eh? :tantrum:

Winter is finally going! Here in North Dakota we've actually had a mild winter with periods of pretty nice weather throughout. The periods of nice weather have served to "tease" us with the promise of spring and made the winter seem even longer than usual (at least for me). I'm glad to say that April should be pretty nice although there will be the typical "April showers", of course. But that's a good thing in what is still a largely agricultural state.

Although, in ND it is not all that uncommon to get a final blizzard/snowstorm in April or even May so I'm hoping we don't get that this year.

I hope so too. The Red River valley has enough moisture in it already. :/

I hope so too. The Red River valley has enough moisture in it already. :/

Is Winnepeg going to be alright? I would assume so with the diversion system but I guess I don't know for sure. Grand Forks, ND should be alright with their dike improvements after the flood of '97 unless something goes catastrophically wrong. Fargo, on the other hand, is pretty much 100% guaranteed to exceed flood stage. However, that's not necessarily much to be worried about in and of itself. The question is how much it will exceed flood stage?!

Further west in Bismarck on the Missouri, where I am, won't have any flood problems this year :)

Yep. So very tired of wearing winter clothing.

There's just so much production going out and getting in. I miss the days when I just throw on a shirt and slip my feet into my sneakers.

And I am tired of seeing bare trees. :( I want green buds and leaves!

Is Winnepeg going to be alright? I would assume so with the diversion system but I guess I don't know for sure. Grand Forks, ND should be alright with their dike improvements after the flood of '97 unless something goes catastrophically wrong. Fargo, on the other hand, is pretty much 100% guaranteed to exceed flood stage. However, that's not necessarily much to be worried about in and of itself. The question is how much it will exceed flood stage?!

Further west in Bismarck on the Missouri, where I am, won't have any flood problems this year :)

We're looking at moderate to major flooding outside the city. The floodway will move enough of the water from the south around the city, but there's a big snowpack west that, when it melts, will drain into the Assiniboine. The ground is still frozen hard and saturated, so the water will go overland somewhere. We'd have to have a massive amount of precipitation in the next month before worrying about Winnipeg - the provincial government's approach is to flood everywhere outside the city first.

Talk this spring was that Fargo might build a floodway like ours, rather than dealing with the cleanup every year. Infinite props to Duff Roblin for insisting on digging the ditch, man, or we'd be in canoes too.

Well, it's good to hear that Winnipeg should be fine and I hope the flooding can be held to a minimum in surrounding areas as well.

And, yes, you're right about talk of some sort of floodway, etc. for Fargo but, of course, with that comes the inevitable bickering about who's going to pay for it and where it's going to go. But, in any case, they've got to do something. Right now, they flood practically every year.

ETA: To spell Winnipeg correctly. Sorry about that and thanks Mistress F Fragile Love! I've even been to Winnipeg a few times and know the origin of Winnie the Pooh (which was the theme in my daughter's bedroom when she was a baby) so I have absolutely no excuse for getting it wrong :dunce:

Archived