Moments of Foreshadowing 3

Ser Wun Wun

and another where someone had chiseled the seven-pointed star of the new gods upon a boulder. Petyr said that marked one of the places the Andals had landed when they cam across the sea to wrest the Vale from the First Men.

This is Andalos, my friend. The land your Andals came from.

Tyrion takes on the alias Hugor Hill which takes after the legendary king of the Andals. Tyrion passed through Andalos, and this foreshadows him revisiting the Vale. Tyrion will have Dany land in the Vale, possibly in the Fingers.

and another where someone had chiseled the seven-pointed star of the new gods upon a boulder. Petyr said that marked one of the places the Andals had landed when they cam across the sea to wrest the Vale from the First Men.

This is Andalos, my friend. The land your Andals came from.

Tyrion takes on the alias Hugor Hill which takes after the legendary king of the Andals. Tyrion passed through Andalos, andthis foreshadows him revisiting the Vale. Tyrion will have Dany land in the Vale, possibly in the Fingers.

I so can imagine Tyrion landing specially on Littlefinger's land.

Not necessarily. Read the entire chapter,Edd comments on that ;)

I already had read it when I made that post. :P

I assume you're referring to this line of Edd's...

I wonder how long that bear's been nailed up on that gate, and what Craster had there before we came hallooing?

...but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it? I thought Edd was just saying that Craster had something like a human skull there but took it down in case Mormont got too curious about who he'd killed, but maybe you're saying that he was implying that Craster chose a bear's skull on purpose to annoy Mormont? Which would be hilarious, I admit. :lol:

But anyway, it's subtle enough (Edd doesn't say anything about the Old Bear) that it could still be foreshadowing...

“Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs,” Patchface proclaimed as they went. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors. - Lord Borrell ADwD.

Seems that crabs are here equivalent to kings. Red crab is Stannis, spider crab is Aegon an conqueror is most probably Dany.

“Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs,” Patchface proclaimed as they went. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors. - Lord Borrell ADwD.

Seems that crabs are here equivalent to kings. Red crab is Stannis, spider crab is Aegon an conqueror is most probably Dany.

What do you propose is the significance of the Patchface quote to the rest of your crab post?

My take on the Patchface one is that it's a rather straight-forward Euron update.

The Ironborn set up a base on Mermaid's Palace, they're the mermen.

They attacked and hold Starfish Harbor.

They had already taken Stonecrab Cay so they'd have crab thralls.

Are you suggesting the Jojen paste here?

Yes it foreshadows Jojen paste.

The Dyre den stuff

The Dyre den stuff

The only thing new I might add is that the Ogre makes me think of some disgusting creature sitting on a bridge collecting tolls....like a Frey. At least I think it's Ogres that usually do that in fairy tales, or is that just trolls?

I like the Dyre den = Dire wolf den connection, and those rock carvings are sights that are seen along the way as they climb to this Dire wolf den. Could they point to the obstacles that the Starks, maybe just Sansa specifically actually, will encounter along the way as she tries to make it back to Winterfell (the Dire wolf den)? She has to get past Freys, Targaryens (Blackfyre's specifically) and Cersei (good connections Fire Eater) to make it home?

And the Dire wolf den is held by House Brune...maybe Sansa will be successful in winning Lothar Brune away LF? She was toying with the idea of setting him up with Mya Stone in AFFC, I'm sure he would be grateful to her for that...maybe even help her get home.

Another obvious one that I'm sure people besides me have noticed, but I don't think it's been posted yet: When Jon arrives at Craster's Keep for the first time, there's a bear's skull on a post by the gate. And where does the Old Bear get killed, a book later?

I think I've seen it brought up before, not sure. We are on like the 52 page (total) in Moments of Foreshadowing threads, so repeats are very likely, no big deal.

IIRC, we see that bear skull twice. The first time in ACOK, where Jon notes it still has bits of flesh clinging to it. Then we see it again from Sam's POV in ASOS when they return to Craster's, only the flesh has presumably all decayed by then. I look at the decaying of the flesh on the bear's skull as kind of like the sand in a hour glass, ticking away what's left of Mormont's life.

What do you propose is the significance of the Patchface quote to the rest of your crab post?

My take on the Patchface one is that it's a rather straight-forward Euron update.

The Ironborn set up a base on Mermaid's Palace, they're the mermen.

They attacked and hold Starfish Harbor.

They had already taken Stonecrab Cay so they'd have crab thralls.

Yes it foreshadows Jojen paste.

Other understanding of Patchace's prophecy is that Davos (starfish resembles a hand) was served to Manderly, I'm adding that it was Stannis who send him there.

Very interesting that she's referring to the Blackwater Rush here, as "black water" = "dark tide".

Very nice!

"There's an ogre's head, see?" [Nimble Dick] said, and [brienne] smiled when she saw it. "And that there's a stone dragon. T'other wing fell off when my father was a boy. Above it, that's the dugs drooping down, like some hag's teats." He glanced back at her own chest.

"Ser? My lady?" said Podrick. "There's a rider."

"Where?" None of the rocks suggested a rider to her.

A stone dragon could be a dragon with greyscale and the missing wing could be a hand cut off to prevent the spread of the infection. Given JonCon's condition Aegon seems the most likely candidate. There might also be a connection buried in there to Serra and Illyrio keeping her hands if she is in fact his mother.

I suppose Victarion has a certain resemblance to an ogre, especially on the intellectual level, and he does have the horn.

The rocks not suggesting a rider could refer to a warged dragon as well though none of the candidates here seem to fit known wargs despite imagining Old Nan warging a dragon amusing me to no end. The Ghost of Highheart is the only remote fit I can think of and that just doesn't strike me as at all likely.

Nice catch!

Red crab= Stannis since he took up the Red God

Spider crab= Aegon, the "mummer's dragon" who is being supported by Varys AKA is the Spider

Conqueror crab= Dany that's what she is, and what she aspires to

Yes, great catch! How did I miss this when I read the thread earlier? :dunce:

Though the "mermen feast on starfish soup" thing is still obtuse as hell. I imagine it's some kind of metaphor for death (Patchface's prophecies usually are), the "crabs" are serving war and death or something

ADWD; Jon

He found himself thinking about Sam and Maester Aemon, about Gilly and the babe. She will curse me with her dying breath, but I saw no other way. Eastwatch reported savage storms upon the narrow sea. I meant to keep them safe. Did I feed them to the crabs instead?

I wonder which crabs he is referring to? Will Sam and Gilly run into Aegon or Dany (Stannis is very unlikely)?

walder fray was like dis one time the red will flo and u think hes talkin bout da wine cuz win is red and ppl drink wine dat is red at weddngs, but what he saying is red will flo becuz blood is red too so walder frey was saying red blood flow at wedding cuz he kill ppl. liek dis if u cry evry tiem

Yes, great catch! How did I miss this when I read the thread earlier? :dunce:

Though the "mermen feast on starfish soup" thing is still obtuse as hell. I imagine it's some kind of metaphor for death (Patchface's prophecies usually are), the "crabs" are serving war and death or something

I wonder which crabs he is referring to? Will Sam and Gilly run into Aegon or Dany (Stannis is very unlikely)?

You got me interested and it appears House Celtigar's sigil is red crabs on white. What's more interesting is their house is said to have a horn that can summon krakens from under the sea.

...but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it? I thought Edd was just saying that Craster had something like a human skull there but took it down in case Mormont got too curious about who he'd killed, but maybe you're saying that he was implying that Craster chose a bear's skull on purpose to annoy Mormont? Which would be hilarious, I admit. :lol:

But anyway, it's subtle enough (Edd doesn't say anything about the Old Bear) that it could still be foreshadowing...

*nods*

It's a threat :)

Nice catch. Mermaid are the Ironborn. Stannis (red crab) already defeated Asha Greyjoy. We know Victarion is going to meet Daenerys (conqueror). Aegon (spider crab) will deal with the Ironborn in Westeros.

From Eddard I:

Ned remembered the way she [Lyanna] had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched

his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black.

the rose petals could mean Jon, who is dead and black (NW) at the end of ADwD.

Possibly mentioned before but it's late and I'm too lazy to go back and read all the pages.

He counseled kings as well. He could have been a king himself, but when they offered him the crown he told them they should give it to his younger brother. How many men would do that? He was the blood of the dragon, but now his fire has gone out. He was Aemon Targaryen. And now his watch is ended.-Aemon's eulogy

Jon all the way.

Really nice catch. Too bad about them likes...

Who or what is the starfish then? The mermen seem to refer to the Manderlys it seems to me.

Archived