Moments of Foreshadowing 3

Ser Wun Wun

But who else than Valyrians would be doing the enslaving? even Aegon didn't chose a big port for his invasion. Besides fire was mentioned.

Valyria still had an empire, Aegon only had Dragonstone by that time. If you look at the map its obvious why Aegon landed where he did even though at the time it wasn't a major city. It's relatively close by and a nice location for a future city.

Valyria was top dog over almost all of Essos. Westeros had better cities to attack for them. I don't see why they'd waste rescources on sacking Hardhome, a barely developed small town threatening to become a small city, unless there was something about that place we have yet to discover (magic). Hardhome is really out of the way for Valyria, and there must've been much more tempting targets much closer to Essos for them to strike.

"Tarly, when I was a lad half your age, my lady mother told me that if I stood about with my mouth open, a weasel was like to mistake it for his lair and run down my throat. Otherwise beware of weasels."

This foreshadows Sam meeting up with Arya who once took the pseudonym, Weasel.

Jon accepts Longclaw, but he thinks, "Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me." I think this is a pretty good indicator that while Jon will accept Rhaegar is his father, he won't forget Ned.

Good one, especially because it's common for men swearing fealty to say something like, "My sword is yours," in some variation. So "no matter how many swords they give me" can refer to either literal presented swords, or the figurative allegiances that a king or prince would receive.

Jon accepts Longclaw, but he thinks, "Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me." I think this is a pretty good indicator that while Jon will accept Rhaegar is his father, he won't forget Ned.

Good one, especially because it's common for men swearing fealty to say something like, "My sword is yours," in some variation. So "no matter how many swords they give me" can refer to either literal presented swords, or the figurative allegiances that a king or prince would receive.

Outstanding! I had never thought of that passage in this light.

I basically agree with you, but think it foreshadows jon ending up with on of the lost targ blades

More on the Arya/Aegon/Illyrio/Varys theory when Arya went to kill the shady merchant she wanted to kill the guards.

"And the other guard?" "He's slow and stupid. I can kill him too." "Are you some butcher of the battlefield hacking down every man who stands in your way?" "No." "...give his gift only to those who have been marked and chosen." She understood. Kill him. Kill only him."

So I think in this situation she may kill the guards (Illyrio and Varys) and then poison the dragon.

Some more foreshadowing regarding Jaime's role as valonqar:

What would Jaime do in my place? Kill the bitch [Cersei], most likely, and worry about the consequences later.

Not like his brother, but then Jaime and Tyrion were somewhat less than peas in a pod themselves.

This could foreshadow Pod accompanying Jaime as he did Tyrion; when Jaime goes to the Vale with Brienne.

The many Swords could also represent the Iron Throne itself.

If we'd sent a Faceless Man after her [Dany], she'd be as good as buried.

This could foreshadow Arya being sent to assassinate Dany.

"Another name? Oh, certainly. And when the Faceless Men come to kill me, I'll say, 'No, you have the wrong man, I'm a different dwarf with a hideous facial scar.'"

Without a doubt Arya will bump into Tyrion and Dany.

Because it suited her [Melisandre]. Fire is a fickle thing. No one knows which way a flame will go.

she saw a tallow candle burning where no candle where no candle had been the night before, its uncertain flame swaying back and forth like a whore at the Happy Port.

This may not count as foreshadowing, but the latter could point to Melisandre being a temple prostitute.

In the background information on the Conquest, GRRM said that there aren't swords from the Starks or the Arryns in the Iron Throne, because they backed down peacefully. Nor are there swords from Dorne because Dorne was never actually conquered. Then it occurred to me that at the time Aegon landed, the Riverlands were held by the ironborn, so any swords in the Iron Throne from the Riverlands rulers would have been non-native ironborn swords, not, say, Tully swords. There are Riverlands swords but not Riverlands swords, as it wasn't the native Riverlands kings who were ruling at that time (i.e. not House Mudd or whatever). The Tullys actually joined Aegon I to drive out the Hoares, whereas, say, the Tyrells only opened the gates after the Gardener king had already been killed — they never really turned on the Gardeners (to whom it's implied they were intermarried/related, as their stewards) so much as facilitiate the surrender when it was clear that Aegon had won.

And of course it was the North-Vale-Riverlands alliance that helped drive the Targs out in Robert's Rebellion.

I'm wondering if this is a roundabout way of hinting that the North, Vale, Dorne and the Riverlands "don't belong" to the one unified kingdom and won't be part of it when the series is over.

Reading through these... If most of these (or even a handful) are legit foreshadowing and not just coincidence, then GRRM is an even better writer than I thought. It's mindblowing. You guys catch so much stuff, it's incredible.

Archived