Poorer region: North or Dorne?

The Frosted King

In ADWD Davos claims a cask of ale from white harbor can fetch the same price as a cask of ARBOR GOLD so I think people are vastly overestimating Dorne's potential output, and are foolish in thinking the North doesn't have equivalent luxury goods.

Hell Manderly alone probably comes close to matching the output of Dorne, a fourth of Northern manpower probably comes from Wyman and his vassals.

One fifth at most.

Dorne.

The North has the White Arbor, a nodal point of goods for all northmen, and its lands are fertile in summer. Besides, I believe they do have the custom of basically "shrinking its populace" when winter is coming. Lord Dustin's Winter Wolves. So overpopulation and food shortage isn't really an issue (although they are truly in a chaotic position for this next winter, mainly because they didn't really stock supplies for it, although so many northmen have died the women and children might just survive eating away the little supplies left and rats, heh).

Dorne is just poor. May have some exotic good trade with the Reach. Maybe. As it is close geographically wise. But besides that, not much.

• 4 months later...

Currently i would say Dorne, especially after the war.

Pre war I'm still pretty undecided but i would definitely say they are both around even.

Dorne =

Exports exotic goods not seen anywhere else in Westeros; Citrus Fruit and Dornes special Wines. Lemons, olives, and pomegranates are grown and exported only from Dorne. They also produce their very own famous Sand Steads, a horse bred only in Dorne that can run for nearly two days. Planky Town is a port which sees a lot of trade from the free cities where the goods are transported via caravans through out Dorne.

​ Despite this Dorne remains the lowest realm in the Seven Kingdoms regarding population and much of Dorne is simply

wasteland and sand.

The North =

The North is the largest realm in the seven Kingdoms but scarcely populated for it's size, speckled with tiny villages and holdfasts. With the Sunset Sea to the west and the Shivering Sea to the east, fishing plays a major part in the community.

It is also home to white Harbor a Thriving Port and 5th largest city in The Seven Kingdoms. Exports from the North include, Wool, Hides and Timber and wood. During winter time these would especially sell well. With Braavos not having any growing trees with ports close they must make a steady killing, selling wood for fire building and for the Braavosi maintaining their fleet. And the strong ale from white harbor.

Probably Dorne. Climate-wise it is almost arrid. Not great for agriculture. There are comparatively few castles and keeps. It is estimated that Dorne can field 50,000 men though that is said to be overstated and that 30,000 is more likely. That is the same as the clearly smaller Stormlands. Thus, for such a large geographic area, the population and population density are likely low. This is generally a sign of a lack of economic prosperity/viability. True, the North only fielded 20,000 people but we know that quite a few stayed behind. Also, it doesn't state if the Dornish figure includes women which could be possible under Dornish law. I realize the North is also larger which may seem to invalidate my comments on Dorne. There is a difference due to the terrain. The North is filled with rivers and forrests. It can likely hold more people than it currently does. What makes Dorne different is the population influx from the Andal and Rhoynar invasions. The North has only the natural population growth from the first men. Immigration doesn't seem particularly common. The North also has quite a few more impressive castles. Winterfell is said to be enormous. Plus, the North has some resources. The trees can be used for any number of things. There is also White Harbor, one of the larger cities which trades with Braavos, the free cities, and the rest of Westeros. The North is probably richer.

I have always found that a little confusing regarding the numbers of troops both realms can produce,

The young Dragon claimed Dorne could field 50,000 troops to make his conquest more impressive

but it was more likely 30,000 troops despite being the least populated realm, yet Rob marched south with only

roughly 18,000 - 20,000. So would Dorne be less than that?

Pre war I would say that Dorne was the Poorer Region.

After the war of 5 Kings i would say the North is.

I have always found that a little confusing regarding the numbers of troops both realms can produce,

The young Dragon claimed Dorne could field 50,000 troops to make his conquest more impressive

but it was more likely 30,000 troops despite being the least populated realm, yet Rob marched south with only

roughly 18,000 - 20,000. So would Dorne be less than that?

Pre war I would say that Dorne was the Poorer Region.

After the war of 5 Kings i would say the North is.

Robb marched south in a hurry, not being able to call up anybody but the closest and best organized levies. Furthermore, any amry much bigger than 20,000 would have starved on their feet.

There are about three times as many reserves remaining.

Dorne. North has the vale and white harbor which provide great crops etc

The North does not have the Vale. We have no idea how many crops White Harbor provides.

Robb marched south in a hurry, not being able to call up anybody but the closest and best organized levies. Furthermore, any amry much bigger than 20,000 would have starved on their feet.

All the regions went to war in a hurry.

Archived