A MEMORY OF LIGHT Full Spoiler Discussion Thread

Werthead

Being locked in crystal? It's like that villain that gets buried alive in a rock in Eddings someplace.

Haven't read that. But the crystal is a physical manifestation. What happens is that he gets locked in time.

What happens to Perrin? And Galad and the Harem? (Or did they die books and books ago and I haven't been following?)

Perrin kills Slayer. Its revealed he was compelled by Lanfear so at the critical moment, he would help her kill Moiraine and Nynaeve, thus disrupting Rand's plan, and letting Shai'tan win. Perrin is able to get rid of it (cause its TAR), and he snaps her neck, killing her.

Galad is severly wounded fighting Demandred. None of the Harem dies, though Aviendha more or less loses her legs (they're mangled, at least, thogugh Nynaeve implies she may be able to figure a way to help). Elayne nearly has a forced C-section, but otherwise is unscathed. Min is fine, but ends up as Tuthspeaker and Doomsayer to Tuon.

Who is Cadsuane? It's been so long I can't even remember. Is there a separate character named Siuan who got mostly stilled? If so, what happened to her? The one who used (I think) to be in charge of the White Tower near the very beginning. What happened to Elaida (Elayne's mother?).

Who is Cadsuane? It's been so long I can't even remember. Is there a separate character named Siuan who got mostly stilled? If so, what happened to her? The one who used (I think) to be in charge of the White Tower near the very beginning. What happened to Elaida (Elayne's mother?).

Wow. Elaida is not Elayne's mother (I think Elayne would contemplate suicide if that were the case). She was initially Elayne's mom's Aes Sedai advisor. She deposed Siuan Sanche, and became the Amyrlin Seat. Siuan was stilled, but later partially Healed. She bonded as her new Warder Gareth Bryne, the former First Prince of the Sword of Andor (and erstwhile lover of Elayne's mom). They were given a warning that at a crucial time, if they were not together, they would die. Siuan ignored this warning to stay around Mat Cauthon to protect him in the Last Battle. She dies during a surprise attack, which drives Bryne into the expected death rage, killing him.

Cadsuane is one of the oldest Aes Sedai, and before Elayne, was also the strongest the Tower had seen in a 1000 years. She makes it her business to prepare Rand for the Last Battle, and is responsible for him finally finding a way out of his madness and megalomania. She was named his Aes Sedai advisor, and for the Last Battle, he requests her to fight off any Foresaken who would try to enter Shayol Ghul and distract from his work. She does so, and after the Battle, realizes that Rand has in fact not died. As she walks away from his sham funeral, she is ambushed by Sitters from the Hall who, to her immense dismay, ask her to be the Amyrlin Seat. She is last seen cursing her bad luck.

Can't really remember if this was answered before Memory of Light (best I can remember this character was still alive dressing down Graendel at the end of Towers of Midnight), but what was the deal with Shaidar Haran? What made him different from your garden variety Myrddraal? Was he the Dark One/part of the Dark One?

what was the deal with Shaidar Haran? What made him different from your garden variety Myrddraal? Was he the Dark One/part of the Dark One?

He was a vessel for the Dark One's consciousness, like an avatar. At first it appears he did have his own volition, but certainly by TGS/ToM he was the next best thing to the Dark One walking around in the flesh.

So....who killed Asmodean?

Graendal.

Oh, and what happened to Berelain?

Met and fell in love with Galad. Still supporting Rand.

Finished the book. Review first thing on Tuesday (about 35 hours from now).

Bizarrely, the accompanying embargo letter only requests that reviews are not published and not spoilers. I'll take that as implied, and won't discuss in-depth plot points here (there is a dedicated mega-spoiler, protected thread on Dragonmount where I may post some other plot thoughts, however).

One thing I will say is that the book is highly dependent on interpretation. Fionwe's summary above is broadly correct in its plot points, for example, but not necessarily in its interpretation and wording.

Don't peak, don't peak, don't peak...

Holy shit! I had completely forgotten about this but my pre-ordered copy is supposed to be here Tuesday. By the time I actually read it all the discussion will probably be done :frown5:

That's all find and dandy, but what were these people wearing!!!

And how many 'braid tugs' went down. That's how i really judge the quality of a WoT book.

Sadly, Nynnaeve's braid has been cut off and she's rocking a short hairdo in this book. It's the one character passing that's probably had the most impact on my reading experience.

Sad that a series has gone on for so long that I don't care to read or buy the last book. So Rand dies but doesn't? What a cop out.

I wouldn't call it a cop-out since you can pretty much see it coming from all the hints in the previous books. Rand surviving but not, Min seeing the two men merge together, etc. And it sounds like you have at least one major character who loses their plot armor, so could be worse.

One thing I will say is that the book is highly dependent on interpretation. Fionwe's summary above is broadly correct in its plot points, for example, but not necessarily in its interpretation and wording.

This doesn't surprise me. I wrote that post in a hurry, and some things I would write differently now.

Any chance you can specify what parts you disagreed with the interpretation on?

This doesn't surprise me. I wrote that post in a hurry, and some things I would write differently now.

Any chance you can specify what parts you disagreed with the interpretation on?

In about four hours, sure :) Or it came up in the full spoiler thread on Dragonmount.

Demandred has been in Shara where he was the subject of prophecies (or took over Rand's prophecies because Rand never showed up) and commands an army of Sharans and Sharan channelers.

In an earlier book - Lord of Chaos IIRC - it is made very clear that the people of Shara know about the Dragon Reborn, the Karaethon Cycle and that Rand is the DR and will break the world again.

On that basis, Demandred's role in events has to be interpreted rather differently.

Archived