MLB 2013: You Are Not A Hall Of Famer Edition

Mack Kilimaro

Pettitte leaves game early with an apparent back injury...yes another injury. Hopefully just back stiffness. Oliver perez is in the game!! Mets fans everywhere shudder

Osteoporosis? Didn't he retire like 5 years ago?

Pettitte leaves game early with an apparent back injury...yes another injury. Hopefully just back stiffness. Oliver perez is in the game!! Mets fans everywhere shudder

Jason Bay has been in left field all game too.

I'd like to point out that the Mariners are in second place of the AL west. Pretty nice after starting out as poorly as they did.

From the Grantland article on the Mets:

The team's payroll reads like a cruel joke. Johan Santana will not pitch in 2013. He will make $25,500,000 to do so, almost as much as the combined salaries of the Mets' eight starting position players. Jason Bay, who will make $18.125 million this season, is the highest-paid outfielder on the Mets payroll. Bay, of course, plays — badly — for the Seattle Mariners. Second to Bay on the money list among outfielders is Bobby Bonilla, who, despite not having played in a major league game in 13 years, will make $1.193 million from the Mets thanks to a bizarre contract deferral that will pay Bonilla through 2035.

I love baseball sometimes.

Bobby Bonilla will be 72 in 2035 BTW.

That is nuts!!

You'd have thought the Mets would try to offer a lump sum on that monster deal by now. Maybe they've tried, and Bonilla said no.

Yeah, you would think so.

I guess the only good thing about this arrangement is at least that's one athlete we don't have to worry about becoming bankrupt anytime soon.

Article about the Bonilla contract more specifically. The truth is stranger than fiction.

[bonilla] knew The Mets wanted him gone but technically owed him $5.9 million. He also knew he had a young son and daughter who would be looking to go to college, and as a 36 year old, he likely had many years worth of life to live. So at this point, Bobby and his agents offered a unique compromise: The Mets would release Bobby to play for another team and they would delay the $5.9 million payment for 11 years, with interest. In essence, The Mets agreed to pay Bobby a total of $29.8 million (instead of $5.9 million) in 25 annual installments of $1.192 million, starting in the year 2011.

They are paying him 30 million so that they could get out of paying him $6 million. Good lord, I wish I could get some of that sweet action.

Article about the Bonilla contract more specifically. The truth is stranger than fiction.

They are paying him 30 million so that they could get out of paying him $6 million. Good lord, I wish I could get some of that sweet action.

:lol:

Bobby Bo reversed-mortgaged his contract!

Anyway, didn't realize the Bonilla contract just re-kicked in. I thought it was like 40 years of $1 million per, but now I'm more amused that Bobby Bo is now back on the Mets books at age 48 for another 25 years.

Archived