MLB 2013: You Are Not A Hall Of Famer Edition

Mack Kilimaro

To LL: Once you are washed up in the AL just go over to the NL for 5 more seasons of serviceable work. Moyer was 49 when he was still pitching in the NL.

Hitters seem to thrive in the NL, too. Choo has gone nuts since transfering over.

Twins now up 14-6. I think Plouffe's dad is pitching for the Red Sox, or something.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9252253/ja-happ-toronto-blue-jays-skull-fracture-placed-15-day-disabled-list

The 30-year-old said he had a skull fracture behind his left ear that doctors believe will heal on its own, as well as a sore right knee that he tweaked when he dropped to the ground Tuesday night.

Otherwise, he felt pretty good after his release from Bayfront Medical Center. He does not have a concussion.

Man, JA Happ is incredibly lucky. That could've gone all kinds of deadly serious. I guess he moved just enough to avoid getting hit head-on. Fucking scary.

Man, JA Happ is incredibly lucky. That could've gone all kinds of deadly serious. I guess he moved just enough to avoid getting hit head-on. Fucking scary.

Yeah, was pretty Happ-y (sorry, sorry) to see that, I didn't see it live yesterday, but the replays were pretty unpleasant.

I really believe that a MLB player is going to die on the field one of these days either from a Clemens to the head of Piazza type of pitch or a line drive back at the pitcher. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Helmets on the pitchers?

And screw St. Louis! Just because! Come down and play at Chicago's level for a while! :P

I realized it's already almost the middle of May and I haven't been posting in the MLB thread. Not that anyone misses the resident Sox fan complaining about our very surprisingly woeful defense, anemic offense, and occasionally atrocious bullpen performances, mingled with some praise for the starting pitching.

The messed up thing about the helmet thing is that most pitchers don't WANT any form of protection because of how they believe it will impede performance. I think it will take someone dying (you'd think Brandon McCarthy's injury was enough) before the players association will approve of anything, and even then it will be voluntary. I have been dealing with a terrible concussion since January from a snowboarding accident and I felt nauseous just seeing that line drive hit his head, and I'm not squeamish at all. Just knowing how fragile the head is and how your life can change instantly, it's scary. I have also developed a new-found sympathy for Justin Morneau, who took so long to come back from a minor head injury. Anyway, I sure hope that technology comes along to where we can perfect a helmet that is light and unobtrusive but offers something of a buffer for athletes directly in harm's way.

Hitters seem to thrive in the NL, too. Choo has gone nuts since transfering over.

Twins now up 14-6. I think Plouffe's dad is pitching for the Red Sox, or something.

That is because of all the pitchers over there that can't make it in the AL. Helps a bit when you get to face another pitcher once every time through the order.

I realized it's already almost the middle of May and I haven't been posting in the MLB thread. Not that anyone misses the resident Sox fan complaining about our very surprisingly woeful defense, anemic offense, and occasionally atrocious bullpen performances, mingled with some praise for the starting pitching.

The messed up thing about the helmet thing is that most pitchers don't WANT any form of protection because of how they believe it will impede performance. I think it will take someone dying (you'd think Brandon McCarthy's injury was enough) before the players association will approve of anything, and even then it will be voluntary. I have been dealing with a terrible concussion since January from a snowboarding accident and I felt nauseous just seeing that line drive hit his head, and I'm not squeamish at all. Just knowing how fragile the head is and how your life can change instantly, it's scary. I have also developed a new-found sympathy for Justin Morneau, who took so long to come back from a minor head injury. Anyway, I sure hope that technology comes along to where we can perfect a helmet that is light and unobtrusive but offers something of a buffer for athletes directly in harm's way.

Were you wearing a helmet when you were snowboarding?

....Aaaand Twins take two of three from the Red Sox, completing a tough 10 game road trip in Detroit, Cleveland, and Boston. Overall, i cannot complain about a 5-5 record in that stretch, against that competition.

Also, can't complain about my team being a game over .500 in mid-May :D

Very happy day for MN folk!

Anyone else stunned by just how bad Toronto and LA(D) are? I mean...I thought it possible that their massive off-seasons wouldn't pan out, but I didn't expect them to be the bottom fifth of the majors. I mean...damn!!

"Cocksucker. You are just fucking asking for it." - MC, while reading the above post over my shoulder.

I am not trying to be a point-and-laugh ass about this. Gods know my team has spent its fair share of recent time fighting to beat out Houston for 2nd worst in the league. I just really don't get it. Kershaw is totally boss, Ryu is about as good as he was expected to be, how have so many other things gone so badly? It's remarkable how awful LA(D) luck has been this year, just stunning.

Anyone else stunned by just how bad Toronto and LA(D) are? I mean...I thought it possible that their massive off-seasons wouldn't pan out, but I didn't expect them to be the bottom fifth of the majors. I mean...damn!!

Why only LA(D)? LA(A) (also known as Anaheim in Orange fucking County) also spent boatloads of cash over the past 2 offseasons, and they're currently worse than the Dodgers.

"Cocksucker. You are just fucking asking for it." - MC, while reading the above post over my shoulder.

He is asking for it, I've just mailed him a dead fish.

Why only LA(D)? LA(A) (also known as Anaheim in Orange fucking County) also spent boatloads of cash over the past 2 offseasons, and they're currently worse than the Dodgers.

Yes, they also are faring poorly...but that doesn't surprise me. I thought they would be mediocre at best, with potential for terrible.

Is the fish smoked? I haven't had a nice smoked salmon in ages...

Is the fish smoked? I haven't had a nice smoked salmon in ages...

It's sashimi grade tuna. I was going for menacing, maybe with a real gross smell or something, but this was the best I could do on short notice.

Hmm. There's a tuna restaurant down the street from me. Maybe they can do something nice with it. In any event, thank you for the kind gift? I so rarely receive parcels! I hope you printed neatly for the return address...some lucky Bowie has a lovely bit of bundaegi coming his way! :)

Were you wearing a helmet when you were snowboarding?

Unfortunately, I wasn't. The resort I was at in Minnesota didn't even provide them. I saw so many people without helmets (maybe 20% with) that I thought it was no big deal - of course until I landed on the back of my head and wasn't able to stand up without falling over. I'm still experiencing bad vertigo and dizziness, headaches, as well as substantial concentration issues. I've been on the softball DL for months (I play year round) and that's just recreational. I had to withdraw from most of my classes for that quarter and thank god I am just a student right now because there was no way I could have worked through my recovery. I can't imagine how football, hockey, and baseball players get back to playing - but mine was particularly severe (and not my first, which seems to be the key).

Anyway, I will NEVER AGAIN ride a bike or snowboard or anything else without a helmet. But like the MLB players, I thought it was just a "risk you take". Which is stupid, when you can prevent or at least partially cushion a blow to the head. I may have still ended up with a concussion, but even if the severity is reduced, I think it's worth it. Plus helmets are even more helpful in fractured skull injuries, so the Blue Jays pitcher may significantly reduced the harm done to his head.

Archived