Rome Actors on Game of Thrones

Westeros

Here’s a couple of fascinating tidbits from interviews with Ciarán Hinds and James Purefory, both who had been on HBO’s Rome—a fine show, one of the most lavish productions ever put to screen as a regular hour long drama—and who have been asked (for various reasons) to remark on HBO’s Game of Thrones. Of course, only one of these actors is actually on the show, but the other has been a fan-favorite when it comes to casting speculation…

First, of course, is Ciarán Hinds, the actor cast as Mance Rayder whom we recently glimpsed in HBO’s latest video. Speaking to Irish Central, Hinds had the following to say about the first season of the show when he decided to catch up to it:read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Lets hope Ray Stevenson doesn't share the same sentiments as James and Kevin. Ray is the top choice by fans for Victarion and he should join his former cast mates from Rome (Tobias and Ciáran.)

I loved Rome and wish it would return or if they could get the movie going again. But I think Kevin McKidd is upset with the fact that he was on a great show with superb actors and now he's reduced to playing the cliche handsome doctor in a glorified soap. I don't blame him for being upset, I would be pissed off too. I like when actors are fans of their work. I'm sure he would respect Game of Thrones if he watched it and spoke to other actors about it.

Sounds bitter. I guess when you think about the type of money the actors/actresses of Game of Thrones are likely pulling in you can't be overly surprised. He's likely right had Rome been allowed to continue it'd just be wrapping up, and HE would have made money like that.

I'm sure there is some of that in his comments, but to be fair also likely some non serious tongue in cheek type comments as well.

I think it says a lot about how obsessed these forums are over Purefoy, that despite having hardly seen him in anything, I felt a deep pang of disappointment that he said he wouldn't be in the show. Even though logically I should feel nothing either way. :P

I'm sure there is some of that in his comments, but to be fair also likely some non serious tongue in cheek type comments as well.

Yes, i'd definitely imagine there is a lot of humour in those statements. I'm sure they would have preferred if Rome had continued but beyond that, they are professionals. :)

And I wouldn't worry about their financial status. Both have been working steadily. I doubt shows like Greys Anatomy is badly paid.

I don't think we will be seeing Purefoy any time soon as from what i have heard so far The Following is a cracking piece of television. Also if they are being serious about hating AGOT in one sense you can't blame them they were part of a very successful show which was cut very short by high costs which weren't their fault

Just read it. I am going to bide my time. I wonder if they were misquoted or....lame to include a private conversation with McKidd.

But if it is true, I don't blame them either.I LOVED Rome. I couldn't wait each week for Sunday. I loved everyone and everything about it. Dialogue, actors, costumes. Polly Walker was brilliant in a Joffrey love to hate way too. LOL!

I remember watching season 2 and then abruptly hearing that it cost too much to finance and the plug was pulled and that is why the end of season 2 was so rushed. Some of the arcs got shoddy at the end because they had to tie it all up.Am I right? Because then I later heard other reasons too.

Now Purefoy was good, McKidd and Ray were brilliant.

I am still bummed about it too, but I doubt all the same people are still there responsible for the cancelling or whatever. They shouldn't if they are. They had an original, unique series and gave up on it. And really, who doesn't like Ancient Rome? McKidd would be excellent in GOT with the right part. I think we just love him as an actor because I see people nomintating him for all kinds of roles, yet I am not sure who he would be a better fit with.

Ah, reminds me of randomly yelling out "The Thirteenth" back in the day. LOL!

I hope they were kidding because ROME was dead when the BBC pulled out , long before HBO got serious about GOT.

Anyway ... I hope I did not see it here ... but looks as if HBO is serious about doing I,Claudius which would be a perfect follow on to ROME.

I don't know if they can assemble as fine a cast as the BBC 1976 production, especially someone as good as Derek Jacobi.

I kind of wish they could correct some of Grave's soap opera hyping about the actual historical figures , but probably not.

Anyway the BBC production was very 'stage bound' , opening it up would be great.

I'm going to guess that Purefoy was both saying that in a way that suggested he was half-joking, and I'm also pretty sure that he has a better sense of what's okay for him to say regarding conversations with a friend and colleague like McKidd than any of us do.

Yeah they can't be all that serious about the Rome vs Game of Thrones quip. After all Rome got canned before Game of Thrones was even close to getting a season 1 green light. So it's not like HBO saw greener grass and dropped Rome like a hot potato while drooling over the prospects of GoT.

Also neither actor (if they're smart) want's to burn bridges with HBO, given they are a producer of such great TV content.

I think Purefoy would leap at a Game of Thrones role if The Following fails to launch. Even if it did irritate him that HBO canned Rome too soon, he's not going to turn out what would likely be a high-paying, short-term performance. Oberyn Martell/"Red Viper" is the role that Purefoy is born to play.

I'm sad to see McKidd is bitter. He'd be a good Jon Connington candidate, particularly since we know he can do the whole "self-righteous prick soldier" role.

In other interviews i have heard that Rome was only ment to go two seasons?

I loved that show, but I don't see how they could have spun out the time Purfoy and Mckidd were in it any longer? perhaps one more season, maybe? where was it written Rome was ment to go for 7 seasons?

Regardless there's Tongue in cheek and then there's what this seems to be which is kinda...harsh...still, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Kevin would Kill it as connington-a little young maybe but If he grew a beard and they put some grey in it, Bam, ginger griffon.

I'd like Ray Stevenson to play Vic but it doesn't seem a perfect fit...perhaps Lem? hes no doubt been cast already...hmm

No, Rome was definitely intended to go beyond two seasons after it was commissioned. It's true that originally it was pitched as a mini-series, but it was developed as an on-going. Bruno Heller had 5 seasons of the show planned, at minimum, with the 5th season taking us through the rise of the messiah in Palestine. The 3rd and 4th seasons would have been a lot about Egypt, Cleopatra, and Antony, but obviously that was all squished into the final season (which is part of why that season moves so randomly and, sometimes, superficially).

In other interviews i have heard that Rome was only ment to go two seasons?

I loved that show, but I don't see how they could have spun out the time Purfoy and Mckidd were in it any longer? perhaps one more season, maybe? where was it written Rome was ment to go for 7 seasons?

Regardless there's Tongue in cheek and then there's what this seems to be which is kinda...harsh...still, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Kevin would Kill it as connington-a little young maybe but If he grew a beard and they put some grey in it, Bam, ginger griffon.

I'd like Ray Stevenson to play Vic but it doesn't seem a perfect fit...perhaps Lem? hes no doubt been cast already...hmm

In a way they really only had a enough historical material for two seasons , tho if they had of wanted elaborate Julius Caesar's rise that would have made a more complete story.

After Augustus settled everything down there was still a lot of politicking and foreign expansion for more than 30 years not much to make a melodrama. Which is why Graves picks up the wild story from Tiberius to Nero in I Claudius.

Archived