May's What Are You Reading Thread

Werthead

Whatever happenned to Pinto, anyway? His second book ended on a cliffhanger -- years ago.

Pinto's house was damaged by fire at some point, according to Wikipedia, which meant some time was lost. Also, apparently a third of the second volume was chopped out for space reasons and has had to have been fitted to the third volume and some problems arose because of that. His website:

http://www.ricardopinto.com/

indicates that from his last update (November 2005) he expected it would take 7 more months to finish the book, meaning the first draft should be done in a few weeks. As for publication, I'd expect it in a year or so.

I was pondering reading this series but decided to wait until it was finished.

Sounds interesting. With my current pile and the fact that a closer inspection of this guy's progress reports suggests his release dates should be taken with a pinch of salt, I'll have to hold off on it for a while though. Cheers for the rec.

It's better, imo, than has been stated in this thread. I especially found it brave in its original setting and homosexual lead characters.

To be fair, it was original and the world-building is impressively detailed. I won't say anything else good about it, but I will admit it does have those points in its favour. I did get the impression Pinto had the potential (and the writing talent) to write a good book but unfortauntely he didn't. I know some people like it, but I thought it was one of the worst fantasy books I'd ever read.

Finishing Animal Farm with my 10th graders and Fences by August Wilson with my 9th graders....

Moving onto Farenheit 451 and Romeo and Juliet....personally I am reading The Eye of Heaven (which I won on pat5150's site) at home and plodding through The Cry of the Icemark on the elliptical trainer at the gym. Busy month!

Just finished Throne of Jade and The Amber Wizard. Throne of Jade was good, and I look forward to the next book. The "my dears" still grate, but that's the only problem. The Amber Wizard is a little heavy on exposition, and the magic system seems a little undeveloped for playing such a big role, but it's a solid first book. No idea what to start next. Maybe Anubis Gates. But exams come first :cry:

Finally reading the Heaven Tree Trilogy by Edith Pargeter. Been interested on this for years, and this copy sat TBR for quite a bit. It´s historicalk, set in the England-Wales border round 1210 or so, still on the first volume. You know what this reminds me of? Guy Gavriel Kay more than anybody else - the series is older than any GGK book and it seems to have no fantasy elements. But the theme, the characters, it seems a lot like GGK to me. I know GGK is supposed to have Dunnett as an inspiration, but this seems to me closer to GGK than any Dunnett. I like it a lot so far, despite maybe characters a little too modern or too perfect. Ran, Linda, have you ever tried this?

Just finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I haven't got the existential heebie-jeebies this good since I read Childhood's End by Clarke :)

Now I am reading Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer.

I've just started The Broken Crown by Michelle West. I'm about 70 pages in, and it is rather confusing. I got the sense of being thrown in at the deep end, just like with Erikson. But there is also plenty of interesting stuff to keep me going.

Currently I am reading book 2 of the Sovereign Stone trilogy by Weis/Hickman. This is about a magical stone granted by the gods that was divided into four parts. These parts are given to four races of the world to enable the stone keepers to create dominion lords that have a magical armor and battle evil.

I am a little bit disappointed though. The first book takes an interesting approach, because the authors concentrate on the storyline of the evil characters - one who dabbles in forbidden magic, the other who covets to become a dominion lord and king and wants to have the Sovereign Stone by all means, even with the help of this forbidden magic. The second volume is more or less your standard quest. But I like the world and the races the authors created. Let's see what the third volume will have in store...

Archived