May's What Are You Reading Thread

Werthead

I'm doing JC as a film study for the most part, but a few of the repeaters have planted the seeds of discontent about Farenheit so I've agreed to scrap it....and I want to do Shakespeare with my 10th grade. And without trying, the 2nd half of the year has been all about theidea of power corrupting.

Reading City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer is in many ways like visiting Tate Modern in London. Indeed, it's relatively impossible to decide whether what is found within each to be the expressions of unbelievably talented or deeply disturbed minds. Vandermeer certainly appears to enjoy walking the very fine line between the brilliant and the bizarre.

This novel is by far the oddest book I've read in years. And as such, it is not for everyone. The format may put off a number of readers. As a mosaic novel, City of Saints and Madmen is comprised of novellas and short stories. And although characters and events contained in one may appear or be alluded to in another, the book doesn't form a coherent whole. Speaking for myself, that was a bit of a problem. It seems the author doesn't want the reader to get comfortable. Which, ultimately, results in a somewhat constant disorientation.

One thing about Jeff Vandermeer is that he is a gifted writer. His terrific prose creates a living and breathing imagery. His style, at times almost lyrical, jumps off the page. And is dark sense of humor imbues each tale with a unique flavor.

City of Saints and Madmen is not for the average fantasy fan. But for jaded readers who have been around for a long time, Vandermeer's latest could be something special to sink your teeth into.

Check the blog for the full review. . .

Patrick

Erikson, Deadhouse Gates

good, but I wish a plot connection to the previous book was more apparent. Right now its new continent, new conflict, new characters except for the few who returned. It's more another opening book to a series than a continuation of one story. Still, not a major gripe. Not sure where I'll get Memories of Ice from, as my library doesn't have it.

Hum, just finished Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. Found it to be a pretty interesting read, and I can't say that I had any trouble with what seems to be the most popular criticism - the lack of information about the world in which the novel is set. I found that this "flaw" did but add flavor to the narrative, a regard in which GotM is somewhat reminiscent of The Black Company.

Will probably start on Deadhouse Gates tonight.

I am reading "The Algebraist" by Iain M. Banks - a non-Culture SF novel, which so far seems to be somewhat slower and more straightforward than his usual stuff.

And "Golden Age" by John C. Wright in which I am kind of stuck at the moment. Yes, great worldbuilding and decent writing, but it failed to draw me in so far. Maybe it is because I only get to read it in small bits.

Erikson, Deadhouse Gates

good, but I wish a plot connection to the previous book was more apparent. Right now its new continent, new conflict, new characters except for the few who returned. It's more another opening book to a series than a continuation of one story. Still, not a major gripe. Not sure where I'll get Memories of Ice from, as my library doesn't have it.

Midnight Tides (book 5) is even less connected to the previous books (since it is set before any of the others start). Memories Of Ice on the other hand is a direct sequel to book 1, House of Chains is a direct sequel to book 2 and Bonehunters is a direct sequel to books 3, 4 and 5.

Making my way through Naomi Novik's Black Powder War (the third book in the Temeraire series out at the end of this month I think), and picked up David Keck's In the Eye of Heaven a debut epic fantasy series that had some pre-publishing hype attached to it that isn't really impressing to this pont. I started this last month, but put it down to move to something else I had to read. His ability to turn a phrase seems absent. Will be moving on to Salt Roads by Nalo Hopkinson soon.

I recently read an entirely forgetable epic fantasy debut by David Forbes entitled the Amber Wizard. I have read interviews where he states being tired of certain cliches, and then he goes right ahead and uses them. I also recently put up my review of Jeff Vandermeer's Shriek: an Afterword.

I have also been getting some comic book/graphic nobel reading done. I'm reading the epic fantasy graphic novel by Mark Smylie, Artesia, the legendary Osamu Tezuka's Buddah which ahs been collected by Harper Collins, The Surrogates by Robert Venditti & Brett Weldele. Really enjoying all three.

Right now I'm trying to finish a Feast For Crows. I'm a little past half way done. I wanna read the Da Vinci Code. A while ago everyone kept nagging me to read it because they said it was so great and really entertaining. Then I saw the movie previews on tv. The previews looked pretty intense and cool and now I want to read the book again. Preferably before I see the movie.

Right now I'm trying to finish a Feast For Crows. I'm a little past half way done. I wanna read the Da Vinci Code. A while ago everyone kept nagging me to read it because they said it was so great and really entertaining. Then I saw the movie previews on tv. The previews looked pretty intense and cool and now I want to read the book again. Preferably before I see the movie.

Like Michael Crichton, I think this Dan Brown has the ability to come up with interesting situations that film-makers can use well. His writing ability is much less certain, although certaily far superior to Crichton the Hack.

Just finished Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising. This one was five times better than the previous installment. It was a little pedestrian in places in terms of plotting but better than many, many children's or young adult fantasy novels I have read.

Also read Shuttlecock by Graham Swift, which I was put onto by someone who said it was a little like The Magus in theme. And so it is. Very well paced and dead easy to read, this is a book for people who like to think about perception and deception.

although certaily far superior to Crichton the Hack.

I agree with you for quite a few of his books, although I think some of his earlier novels deserve a little more credit. Books like Jurassic Park, Sphere, and Congo were far more original and interesting then most of his later work.

I'm reading his Use of Weapons

Great book, although after the London meet last weekend if I ever re-read it I'm probably going to have the same problem someone there (Vestrit, I think) mentioned and keep imagining all of Zakalwe's lines in a Dundonian accent [1] ;).

[1] If you've not met him, this board's artist-in-residence Zakalwe is from Dundee and is named after the main character in Use Of Weapons.

Archived