New Game of Thrones Preview: Chaos

Westeros

As far as I'm concerned, it was great for a teaser. I'm no doubt colored by my love of Littlefinger, but with the words tied to the characters, it's a pretty meaningful little promo. Yeah, I'd have preferred it to focus on characters more central to the power struggles (Stannis, Varys, Balon, and even Roose) than some used, but that's a television show gearing a teaser to everyone instead of just book fans. Very forgivable and much better than nothing.

Considering how much they spend on the show you would think Hbo would make a bit of an effort with the trailers. Someone needs firing. :cool4:

On the contrary, the show basically speaks for itself by now. You don't need overly pricey teasers when everyone is already salivating over the product ;)

It worked on me, I def got shivers when they switch from talks of falling/failure and Lannister faces to success/clinging for life and show Arya+Robb and the Starks. Good stuff

On the contrary, the show basically speaks for itself by now. You don't need overly pricey teasers when everyone is already salivating over the product ;)

It worked on me, I def got shivers when they switch from talks of falling/failure and Lannister faces to success/clinging for life and show Arya+Robb and the Starks. Good stuff

That's true to an extent, but shouldn't a standard trailer cost less, seeing as it uses footage they've shot anyway. Teasers like this and the raven trailer are made from all new stuff, so I'd say they cost additional money.

Yeah, I'd have preferred it to focus on characters more central to the power struggles (Stannis, Varys, Balon, and even Roose) than some used.

Admittedly, I don't think this was focused on power struggles alone. The struggle to survive comes into play also. Chaos leaves a lot of pain in its wake.

Yeah, because D&D are gonna' dictate to the executives at HBO how to advertise their own series. I'm sure they're given some input, but if HBO wanted to release a trailer they most certainly would have done so. This place loves a good (bad) conspiracy theory.

I don't watch every trailer, ad, or blurb HBO put out on their shows , I may have not noticed some, but for season 2 and now for season 3 , GOT has presented what I would call eclectic short spots, that I don't think I see for other shows. I mean they do have standard trailers too, just they do some really short spots a little more creative than other shows. I don't know if it is D and D or someone at HBO.

Someone can tell me, does HBO advertise their shows on the standard TV networks. I know I have never seen one at movie theater, that I remember.

That's true to an extent, but shouldn't a standard trailer cost less, seeing as it uses footage they've shot anyway. Teasers like this and the raven trailer are made from all new stuff, so I'd say they cost additional money.

The Raven one sure, they needed all the graphic design and such, but this one seems like it would cost them next to nothing. All the actors (which is all they had) are bound by contract so it's not like HBO is dishing out any money to people for a 30 second or so clip.

Also I don't think it is a question of funds/money, but instead as a way of slowly (and painfully, sure I agree) turning up the hype. Knock out a couple of these teasers, hit us with a couple of trailers in March and the season premier is here before we know it! :P

Admittedly, I don't think this was focused on power struggles alone. The struggle to survive comes into play also. Chaos leaves a lot of pain in its wake.

Exactly. I read the trailer as being more about the emotional impact on the characters the viewers most feel for rather than the power players...

Who wrote the words, anyway? The Varys trailer for season 2, which I loved and which is sort of a companion piece to this, quoted from the Books but does this... Or was it a copy writer?

:closedeyes: I find the lack of Stannis disturbing, but at least they showed the Hound (looking forward to his storyline this season).

Stannis is not known for displaying emotion, au contraire, but all the characters shown are...

Archived