Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

Sorry to disappoint but I'm fairly sure that we're getting no more than 3-5 extra minutes per episode except for the finale which is a bit more.

"Weiss expects the slightly longer episodes to add up to nearly one hour of additional content over the course of the season. That is fantastic news for fans of the show who are always clamoring for more content."

Ok, my bad. An entire hour of extra content, not 1.5 eps. More like 1.2 of what we've gotten in the past.

"Weiss expects the slightly longer episodes to add up to nearly one hour of additional content over the course of the season. That is fantastic news for fans of the show who are always clamoring for more content."

Ok, my bad. An entire hour of extra content, not 1.5 eps. More like 1.2 of what we've gotten in the past.

They're essentially adding another fifty or so minutes, throughout the season, which cumulatively adds up to around the length of an additional episode. I believe the episode length for season two averaged about 53 minutes, while the first season averaged around 57 minutes per episode, so ultimately, it seems that the third season will be quite a bit longer than the second season overall, and just a bit longer than the first.

They're essentially adding another fifty or so minutes, throughout the season, which cumulatively adds up to around the length of an additional episode. I believe the episode length for season two averaged about 53 minutes, while the first season averaged around 57 minutes per episode, so ultimately, it seems that the third season will be quite a bit longer than the second season overall, and just a bit longer than the first.

If my original post on the additional content was confusing to some, I apologize. I meant the extra time was EQUAL TO a little more than an extra episode OVERALL, not that we'd be getting 11 episodes. I clearly know that season 3 is 10 eps. Which is why I linked the article quoting Weiss.

I was referring to everyone saying that adding the PW would require more time this season. My point was that we are getting more time with the extended episodes.

Apologies if that wasn't clear.

kissed by fire will be the "lords kiss' and hopefully beric whirling around his flaming sword

I wouldn't be so sure. I feel like kissed by fire would be referring to Ygrittes hair. John always said "Kissed by fire" So I feel like that episode will be jon-ygritte heavy.

I agree that the PW is the only valid season ender for the King's Landing arc. But that would require a 12 episode season.

I disagree. The Purple Wedding is merely the catalyst for everything that happens afterward in King's Landing: Tyrion's trial, Tywin's death, the Tyrells assuming greater power, Tyrion fleeing, etc.

If anything, I would argue that Tywin's death and Tyrion's subsequent escape is the end of the second major King's Landing arc (the first being Ned Stark's season one arc). Joffrey's death is satisfying, but ultimately it's the death of Tywin that has a real impact on the story since it puts Cercei firmly in control and allows the Tyrells to slowly begin stealing away power from her and her family. They never could have done that with Tywin as the Hand, even with Tommen as the king.

Quite simply, the Purple Wedding is perfect for an early season event similar to Bran being pushed out the window. It forces pieces into motion and is the beginning of the end of the Tyrion in King's Landing story arc.

The Red Wedding, on the other hand, is a much better season-ending event. It's a defeat for several of the main characters and marks the end of their story arcs while at the same time giving birth to entirely new arcs that can begin the following season.

I disagree. The Purple Wedding is merely the catalyst for everything that happens afterward in King's Landing: Tyrion's trial, Tywin's death, the Tyrells assuming greater power, Tyrion fleeing, etc.

(...)

Quite simply, the Purple Wedding is perfect for an early season event similar to Bran being pushed out the window. It forces pieces into motion and is the beginning of the end of the Tyrion in King's Landing story arc.

Agree on first. As for the second, a more apt analogy in my opinion would be when Catelyn captures Tyrion, which happened in the fourth episode.

Agree on first. As for the second, a more apt analogy in my opinion would be when Catelyn captures Tyrion, which happened in the fourth episode.

Or Renly's death, I agree PW is not the culmination of a story arc, but an early event to get things moving

the PW in episode 10 would be pretty cool. If we have yet another season that closes out with the Starks getting screwed and Joffrey laughing then it might start to turn off some of the audience. You can only have the bad guys win so many times before people start to lose interest for the next season. Season 4 could wrap up the rest of ASOS in 5 or 6 episodes and leave some room to start on the post-Storm material.

This is one of the reasons why I want PW in this season, but I honestly think its like a 5-10% chance

It really does make more sense as the second or third episode for next season though.

Yeah I can agree with that, and with Renly's death as well. I used Bran's injury because, to be honest, it was the first thing that came to mind when I was writing that.

Also, I was on the way out the door at work and wanted to wrap up my post as quickly as possible after realizing it was 4:30. :)

I wouldn't be so sure. I feel like kissed by fire would be referring to Ygrittes hair. John always said "Kissed by fire" So I feel like that episode will be jon-ygritte heavy.

Episodes shouldn't necessarily be referring to just one event. There's a lot of stuff that Kissed by Fire could refer to, even though it strictly referred to Ygritte in the books. Beric's flaming sword and resurrection would be perfect.

Episodes shouldn't necessarily be referring to just one event. There's a lot of stuff that Kissed by Fire could refer to, even though it strictly referred to Ygritte in the books. Beric's flaming sword and resurrection would be perfect.

That's a really good idea. It's great when the episode title refers to more than one particular event-like 'A Man Without Honor' referring to not only Jaime, but also Theon.

This is one of the reasons why I want PW in this season, but I honestly think its like a 5-10% chance

The chance is fewer than that. Basically, we have reports af all the scenes that have been filmed with more than ten extras in them, and the PW is not among them. The ship has sailed.

I also still think that the PW would have been a superior place to end the season, having all the ingredients I look for in a finale. But the powers that be have already decided against it.

I disagree. The Purple Wedding is merely the catalyst for everything that happens afterward in King's Landing: Tyrion's trial, Tywin's death, the Tyrells assuming greater power, Tyrion fleeing, etc. [...] Quite simply, the Purple Wedding is perfect for an early season event similar to Bran being pushed out the window. It forces pieces into motion and is the beginning of the end of the Tyrion in King's Landing story arc.

Joffrey's death is such a catalyst event, I agree. But everything else - the wedding itself, Tyrion's arrest, Sansa's escape - is the culmination of the story up to this point and perfect finale-worthy cliffhanger material.

I agree entirely. I was merely saying that it may not be the episode with Berric and Thoros, but it WILL without a doubt be heavy on the Ygritte that episode. I was just saying that they may not want to get their hopes up.

Come on, guys. The PW won't be a catalyst like Bran's fall. If they want to give us a decent KL story in season 4, they will have to introduce us to Oberyn way before Joffrey dies. More importantly, they have to give the audience and the characters time to play out the aftermath of the Red Wedding. There is not that much time between these two events in the books, I know that, but since Oberyn apparently will be introduced in season 4, my guess is that they intend to put at least 4-5 episodes between these two events.

We have to see how Sansa really suffers in her marriage, both with Tyrion and with the situation after the Red Wedding. We have to see Joffrey, Cersei, and Tywin really enjoy their victory over the Starks. It won't work to show us all that in just 1-2 episodes.

And the whole Oberyn-Tyrion-arc would feel completely disjointed if Oberyn and Tyrion would only meet each other after the wedding. They will have to show us the Lannister-Martell enmity before the Purple Wedding happens. They might even set up Oberyn as another suspect in Joffrey's murder. They can't possibly give the Littlefinger-Tyrell-alliance away before the thing actually happens. Which is why I assume that most of Olenna's schemes in season 3 will surround Sansa and other ways to gnaw away the Lannister dominance at KL. Not so much the plot to deal with Joffrey.

I'm quite sure the bits of dialogue we got from Tyrion and Olenna concerns the date for the marriage. Olenna will push for a date as soon as possible, and Tywin will postpone it for as long as the Iron Throne is still at war. My guess is that Olenna will be able to force him into an early marriage date after the Red Wedding. We have to keep in mind that show Tywin seemed to be not all that friendly towards this whole Margaery marriage proposal. He seemed to consider to get rid of the Tyrells as soon as possible. He may try cancel the whole Joffrey-Margaery betrothal throughout season 3. And Cersei most likely will hate Margaery from the start. TV Margaery is pretty much a younger version of Cersei...

Come on, guys. The PW won't be a catalyst like Bran's fall. If they want to give us a decent KL story in season 4, they will have to introduce us to Oberyn way before Joffrey dies. More importantly, they have to give the audience and the characters time to play out the aftermath of the Red Wedding. There is not that much time between these two events in the books, I know that, but since Oberyn apparently will be introduced in season 4, my guess is that they intend to put at least 4-5 episodes between these two events.

At least 4-5 episodes seems on the high side to me, not low. I'm personally penciling it in Episode 3 (so four episodes after Episode 9 of S3), I think that would be a pretty perfect place for it. Episode 4 could work but that starts to get pretty late. Anything later and I would be shocked.

Conversely, I could see it working in Episode 2 but that would feel rushed to me, personally.

It could be easily be episode 5 or so, if they decide to start season 4 with Jon's return to Castle Black and/or the battle at Castle Black. If Balon's death and its immediate aftermath will be part of season 4 (and not of season 3), his death would be the opening death of season 4. And between Balon's death and the Purple Wedding we would need Mel trying to convince Stannis to sacrifice somebody (either Edric - to be introduced in season 4 - or Shireen). They may introduce Storm's End in season 3 or 4 as well, if they decide to give us Edric Storm in season 4. The castle is going to become a major plot point in ADwD, after all.

I still can't see them omitting Stannis and the Dragonstone gang for the remainder of season 4 until the Battle for the Wall. And if Stannis has scenes on Dragonstone in season 4, the sacrifice stuff needs to be in season 4. Especially since the whole thing only gets momentum after all three pretender kings are dead.

We have to see how Sansa really suffers in her marriage, both with Tyrion and with the situation after the Red Wedding. We have to see Joffrey, Cersei, and Tywin really enjoy their victory over the Starks. It won't work to show us all that in just 1-2 episodes.

And the whole Oberyn-Tyrion-arc would feel completely disjointed if Oberyn and Tyrion would only meet each other after the wedding. They will have to show us the Lannister-Martell enmity before the Purple Wedding happens. They might even set up Oberyn as another suspect in Joffrey's murder. They can't possibly give the Littlefinger-Tyrell-alliance away before the thing actually happens. Which is why I assume that most of Olenna's schemes in season 3 will surround Sansa and other ways to gnaw away the Lannister dominance at KL. Not so much the plot to deal with Joffrey.

I'm quite sure the bits of dialogue we got from Tyrion and Olenna concerns the date for the marriage. Olenna will push for a date as soon as possible, and Tywin will postpone it for as long as the Iron Throne is still at war. My guess is that Olenna will be able to force him into an early marriage date after the Red Wedding. We have to keep in mind that show Tywin seemed to be not all that friendly towards this whole Margaery marriage proposal. He seemed to consider to get rid of the Tyrells as soon as possible. He may try cancel the whole Joffrey-Margaery betrothal throughout season 3. And Cersei most likely will hate Margaery from the start. TV Margaery is pretty much a younger version of Cersei...

I know I'm The Problem Childe™, but the PW is waaaaaaaaaay more of a catalyst, than Bran's Fall. Are you kidding? It changes not only everything in KL, but everything across the entire globe, including Essos.

• They DON'T *HAVE* to introduce us to Oberyn before the PW, although it would be nice. They can simply communicate by raven. And Oberyn can be easily written like the Reeds, and appear in season 4 if need be.
  • They don't HAVE to give the audience and the characters time to play out the aftermath of the Red Wedding. In fact, it would be better dramatically, if they don't. "One woe doth tread upon another's heels, so fast they follow." (google is your friend.)
  • We don't really need to see Sansa suffering in her marriage, because she's been suffering since she had to lie for Joffrey in season 1. WE GET IT. If she didn't suffer at this point, it would be a shock.

Archived